• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - Out on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Dag - 15 May 2015 12:14 PM
Mr Underhill - 15 May 2015 10:11 AM

Would you play this game?

While I’ve expressed elsewhere on the forums that I’m not likely to back another KS project any time soon, Gibbeous is an exception. I’d back it out of sheer support for the frame by frame animations, but also because I like what I see. The way you express yourself on the forum also indicate that I will enjoy the writing on the game.

Looking forward to the demo!

Thanks Dag! It’s posts like that that make me feel good about waking up tomorrow morning and heading to the office to work on the game some more instead of laying around playing Bloodborne Smile

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I love the UI, background, animations (yes, even them, they look good for an indie adventure), pretty much everything from the trailer. Except, I think that voice would be much more fitting with Don R. Ketype than Buzz. Can’t explain why, it’s just a feeling.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

lucebend - 27 May 2015 09:18 PM

Except, I think that voice would be much more fitting with Don R. Ketype than Buzz. Can’t explain why, it’s just a feeling.

Heheh, I know exactly what you mean. The voice you hear in that video is just a cold test read Marshall did before we briefed him on his character’s traits, and I guess he went a little the “sarcastic anti-hero protagonist way” Smile We’ve discussed the tone, etc, and while it’ll be a little difficult to direct voice work from thousands of miles away, I think we’ll be on the right track soon (Buzz sounding a lot more natural and friendlier, while Kitteh takes over the sarcastic quips duties).

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Kitteh. Grin

Well, good luck! Smile

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Just saw the video now. Very exciting!! Where and how did you get in contact with the voice actors?

I would also definitely play this game. I love the art style, the voice was befitting, the music and sound cues were fantastic. It’s looking very good so far Grin

Any update on the bust you showed earlier, btw?

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey Kasper! Well, it’s a funny thing with the main character’s voice, I was watching random let’s plays on youtube and I came across this guy whose voice I couldn’t get enough of, and there I was thinking “hmm, if only we’d find a voice actor with a voice like this guy’s… Hey wait a minute, why not ask THIS guy?” So I contacted him and he was thrilled to give it a shot. As for the other voices, I’ve asked on the SomethingAwful forums, which have a dedicated VA section, and this amazingly talented dude gave us a couple of killer readings for two very different characters, so hopefully we’re covered for the demo. Working on such creative stuff from thousands of miles away is gonna be tricky, but hopefully we’ll be able to pull it off.

The Kitteh 3d print now looks like this:

...and supervises everything I do with a disapproving frown. We wanna give it another shot and this time sand it a lot more to get it even smoother and thus easier to paint. We’re also dealing with a stressful side project we needed to take on to pay the bills, so now our hands are trembling too hard from over-caffeination to do delicate miniature painting Laughing

We’re very happy to have all dialogues and descriptions in the demo now, and we’re starting to add facial animations and gestures to all of them. I love to just fire it up and combine every item with every hotspot and get a unique response each time… This game will be VERY voice heavy, which is a little scary. We will really need a successful stretch goal to be able to pay the amazing voice talent, fingers crossed.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I really like the finished version of Kitteh! With some finer sanding on the next batch it should be amazing Grin

When do you guys roughly plan to launch the Kickstarter? And what preparations and what not are you making? Do you have any outsiders assigned to help take care of the marketing push and Kickstarter management, or will you handle all that alongside still developing the game?

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Ideally summer would still be around when we launch the KS campaign. My current prediction is August - voice work is a little out of my hands so that’s a big variable; also, re-doing 90% of the main character’s animations, something I knew I was supposed to do anyway, and the internet confirmed, plus juggling some paid animation work because, well, bills and taxes… Yeah, I’m really hoping for late August.

As for handling the campaign - we will be most probably do it oursleves- we could get a little marketing / PR help, but we’re in a small town where PR/Marketing people probably couldn’t tell an adventure game from slot machines, so leaving the game’s fate in their hands would be akin to Charlie Sheen babysitting your toddler - he’s a fun guy and great at what he does, but his skills don’t really apply to the situation, and, really, what were you thinking? I know the internet is vast and out there but it’s really only down to what we can afford. I’m mentally preparing myself to spend long hot summer nights sipping coffee that went cold ages ago and shooting emails at every gaming site and blog out there, to whatever avail, if any.

We’re also considering pestering adventure-oriented publishers with the demo, too, but that’s more wishful thinking and a “might as well give it a shot” attitude. Frankly, if one person at Double Fine or Wadjet Eye even played the demo and didn’t hate I’d be over the moon. But really, how could anyone not like it? There’s voodoo, Hitchcockian crime drama, fish people, cat snarkiness, and the most irreverential use of Lovecraftian lore since the Cthulhu plushies - everything you never knew you wanted in an adventure game Smile

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Are you considering going to gamescom? You can pester a lot of adventure - oriented publishers there. Also, lots of adventure - oriented developers will be there too, so you can pester them for catchy KS quote.

And lots of adventure genre players you can nag to play and support your game.

Escpecially at Adventure Treff party: http://heyevent.com/event/flgpiutybzygoa/adventure-treff-party-2015

As for PR/Marketing, I don’t know what your budget is, but if it’s not a problem, you should definitely sign Emily Morganti: http://www.emilymorganti.com/about

She knows everyone in the industry, loves adventure games, has lots of contacts and voodoo impact on journalists. Tongue

Late August (post-gamescom) is good time to launch campaign, but you have to hurry up before big Fall/Christmas hits start rolling out in September.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Oof… We’d love to consider it, but the way things are going I’m afraid we’re going to have to skip it, since making the demo work and look its best is our current top priority, and with payed work we need to get out of the way first, time until late August seems to dwindle faster and faster.

THanks for the tip about Emily Morganti, I’ve no idea whether we can afford her services, but shooting her an e-mail won’t hurt.

It sucks that we’re missing out on most (well, all…) game conferences, but I suck it up and console myself with the fact that it’s time spent on refining the demo. Which sure beats chugging beers with cool adventure devs and fans… Right? Right?*sigh*

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I’m a bit in the same situation, even worse actually because I’m only one and in France, so going to conventions is hard to consider… It would just take too much time and money.

I’m not so certain that conventions have such a big impact, it’s more the indirect impacts (sites posting game news related to it)

We’ll see…

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey fellow adventurers, quick update on Gibbous:

Working hard to put the finishing touches on the demo. All in-game animation and background art done, voices are rolling in (most of Buzz, the main character’s lines are already implemented), trailer will be done soon, game logic too… Granted, it was supposed to be early summer, but we took our time to get it right - this thing’s starting to come together and it’s a real’ nice feeling.

Here’s Buzz’s new walk cycle:

This gif’s sped up for some reason that is beyond me:

Right now we’re waiting on voices for the rest of the character voices to start rolling in. To give you an idea, the main character alone has over 700 lines of dialog just in the demo - that’s mostly because we’re very adamant to have Buzz give you a different answer for every possible item combo…Which is crazy, and I hope we’ll be able to pull it off throughout the game, if we get funded.

Can’t wait to have everything in one place and share the demo with you guys. Won’t be long now.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Good job Smile The walk animation looks a bit CGI instead of hand animated for some reason. Or is it just me?

To give you an idea, the main character alone has over 700
lines of dialog
just in the demo - that’s mostly because we’re very
adamant to have Buzz give you a different answer for every possible item
combo…Which is crazy, and I hope we’ll be able to pull it off throughout
the game, if we get funded.

That reminds me EXACTLY what I did for my prototype version Smile I also did the same thing, and there’s ton of text just for that.

I do believe this is great for players. I did have to ease off a bit on that, because I’d like to finish my game someday lol But I intend to offer that kind of interactivity as much as possible.

You’re planning a Kickstarter? Any idea when? (Mine is almost fully written already, and I’ll have a date for it very soon Smile )

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Mr Underhill - 17 August 2015 05:10 PM

Hey fellow adventurers, quick update on Gibbous:

Working hard to put the finishing touches on the demo. All in-game animation and background art done, voices are rolling in (most of Buzz, the main character’s lines are already implemented), trailer will be done soon, game logic too… Granted, it was supposed to be early summer, but we took our time to get it right - this thing’s starting to come together and it’s a real’ nice feeling.

Here’s Buzz’s new walk cycle:

This gif’s sped up for some reason that is beyond me:

Right now we’re waiting on voices for the rest of the character voices to start rolling in. To give you an idea, the main character alone has over 700 lines of dialog just in the demo - that’s mostly because we’re very adamant to have Buzz give you a different answer for every possible item combo…Which is crazy, and I hope we’ll be able to pull it off throughout the game, if we get funded.

Can’t wait to have everything in one place and share the demo with you guys. Won’t be long now.

Good job, the animations are really good. Just one piece of advice on the dialogue. Don’t over do it, because it can get boring fast if the characters ramble too much.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

@Cowcat: hopefully we’ll kickstart it sometime this September Smile The animations are frame by frame, with small exceptions like idles and minor stuff like that.

@Soccerdude: Yeah, absolutely. Anyway, most of those lines aren’t dialog per se, they’re “examine” and “combine” stuff. This is because, rather than punishing the player for trying stuff, I’d rather have them entertained. This isn’t done to encourage bruteforcing: I just find that when I play point ‘n clicks I am very into exploring the scenery and messing around with the hotspots just for the fun of it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top