• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Steam page : http://store.steampowered.com/app/451570

PS Vita trailer :

Release date :
- May 31th 2016 on PC (demo available!),
- November 15th 2016 on PlayStation Vita
- August 1st 2017 on PS4 (demo available!)
- August 2nd 2017 on Xbox One (demo available!)
- December 4th 2018 on Nintendo Switch (demo available!)

——————————————-

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO :

The demo is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, right here : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/demo/

————————————————————

Hello everyone!

I’m french and a huge fan of adventure games ever since the days of Broken Sword and Discworld on the PS1! (yup… I didn’t have a PC at the time)

And… I’ve been developing an adventure game for almost a year now. I’ve just made it public today.

I would be very interesting in getting some opinions from adventure gamers, before I could consider sending a press kit to news site like this one.

So here’s the game info :

———————————————————————————————————-

Demetrios is a fresh take on the classic “Point & Click” adventure games, adding a touch of cynical humor to the characters motivations.

The game puts you in the shoes of Bjorn Thonen, an antique seller being robbed one night after coming back home drunk. Doing his own investigation with the help of Sandra, his next-door neighbor, he ends up involved in a mysterious and murky affair. But these two unlikely heroes may be able to surpass themselves and discover ancient secrets!

Featuring Full HD colorful backgrounds and animated characters in first person view, similar to visual novels, the game offers varied situations and puzzles, for beginners and experts alike, with a highly contextual level of interactivity.
Try different items combinations, the results might surprise you!

Planned release : Early 2016

Platforms : PC/Mac/Linux

Distribution :
Digital : DRM-Free on this site, Desura, GOG, Steam (if accepted)
Physical : A limited box DVD version is planned, sold directly on the site

Supported languages : English, French (possibly Spanish and German at the time of release)

NB : These are thumbnails, for large versions see them on my site :
http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/screenshots/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451570

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Looks good. The style has The Little Prince feel to it. Will it include full speech?

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Don’t think it will as it doesn’t say so anywhere.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Great! Thank you for the replies Smile

I’ve been pondering whether or not to include voiceover, but I’m leaning towards “no”.

The reasons :

- Bad voice acting can destroy a game. (eg : The Whispered World was awesome, except for…that) So if I hired voice actors, I’d need professionals, and that would be very expensive.

- The game is meant to have tons of text, because there are tons of possible interactions. So a voice acting would be very costly.

- This is my first game project, and I want to reduce the costs as much as possible. So I’m doing everything myself. I did not start a kickstarter or anything to fund the game, it’s all done on my personal finances currently. (yes, I’m working full time on it, and this project is to prove myself in the gaming industry)

- Some games didn’t need voices to be awesome and give characters personality! (Visual novels like Phoenix Wright games, for example.)

However, if the game is a success, maybe I could change my mind on this.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I completely agree with your reasons. It takes a lot to make a game and you’re never sure how it will do at the end of it. Good voice actors can cost a lot and as you’re doing this by yourself, it would be silly to jump into this with such a financial burden. Look forward to seeing more.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Glad to see you agree with that Smile

The good news is that I’m currently preparing a playable demo/preview version, which will contain the first chapter.

I didn’t intend to do it so soon, but I realized I’d need it to submit my game to the online press, and it’s not a lot of work (I only need to fix a few bugs here and there).

It should be available at the end of the week! Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

COWCAT - 25 May 2015 06:21 AM

You’ll always have Kickstarter for an enhanced edition with voice acting if that happens.

I agree with your reasons for omitting voice acting now. An extra reason is that you’ll still have options afterwards.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Yes a good soundtrack/ambient effects can make up for voice acting.

Try getting the word out to big youtube reviewers/playthrough-ers and game bloggers. A grass roots approach can work well here. Also you can make a facebook group for the game and invite your friends to get some initial traction.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

TimovieMan - 25 May 2015 06:27 PM
COWCAT - 25 May 2015 06:21 AM

You’ll always have Kickstarter for an enhanced edition with voice acting if that happens.

I agree with your reasons for omitting voice acting now. An extra reason is that you’ll still have options afterwards.

Yes, that’s the plan, there’ll probably be a kickstarter (or indiegogo) at some point, probably when I’ll put the game on Steam Greenlight.

Try getting the word out to big youtube reviewers/playthrough-ers and game bloggers. A grass roots approach can work well here. Also you can make a facebook group for the game and invite your friends to get some initial traction.

I’m preparing a playable version for that reason, to give it to reviewers. I don’t know yet if it’ll be easy to reach the “big” ones, we’ll see!
There’s a Facebook page for the game : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Demetrios/458196317679276
(not a group though - should there be both? wouldn’t that be confusing?)

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

I think big or even mid-tier corporate ones are v. difficult [Gamespot didn’t even review Tesla Effect] but high-profile individuals who run personal gaming sites/youtube channels should me much approachable, like TotalBiscuit.

Sites most receptive probably are something like http://www.hardcoregamer.com, blogjob.com, http://www.gamingboulevard.com, www.pixeldynamo.com, http://www.thetechgame.com, gamesided.com….

Make sure to post on neogaf forums too.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Great! I intended to do that as soon as I’ll have the demo ready, but having a list of potential sites is even better! Thank you!

(Sidenote : I helped kickstart Tesla Effect, haven’t had time to play it yet… Same for Moebius…
And I’ve started playing Gemini Rue six months ago, still haven’t finished it yet!
It’s hard being a full time game dev, gotta make choices :p)

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Another idea is to look at small kickstarted adventure games - which raised say below 50k - and see which gaming sites reported on them. They’ll be likely to cover you too. Hope that helps!

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Yes, true! Smile

And I have a good news! I’ve released a playable demo version of my game!

You’ll find it on my site : http://www.demetriosgame.com/en/

Just enter your email at the top, and you’ll get a private link to download it.
(NB : You’ll be able to unsubscribe from the newsletter later, but I hope you won’t!)

The demo contains all of Chapter 1. This is kinda big because I think it should take between one and two hours to finish it. I pondered whether to add a time limit, but figured it would probably annoy you, so… enjoy it!

Please note this is a preview version, which is almost final but with missing things (such as character expressions, only one used by character)

I’d be very interested in knowing your opinion, and if you beat it, in how much time!

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Cool, I’ll give it a look once I get time. As for media…

It’s worth contacting IGN etc, but don’t be surprised if they don’t look at it. They usually don’t look at adventure games or say much about them. It might be worth sending the demo to a few youtubers, bloggers etc who are usually more interested and willing to give anything a chance.

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Look forward to trying it out. How many chapters are there in total?

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Tad - 28 May 2015 12:42 AM

It’s worth contacting IGN etc, but don’t be surprised if they don’t look at it. They usually don’t look at adventure games or say much about them.

And here’s why people keep saying adventure games is a thing of the past, when there has never been so many good adventure games nowadays…
It’s really a shame because I’ve always felt Point & Click adventure games is one of the only kind of games that can reach to both gamers and casuals. Because they’re easy to play, but still have depth.

Yeah, I’m starting to contact people on Youtube/Twitch to see if they can try my game. I can say I’m already having some success by reaching people directly Smile

Look forward to trying it out. How many chapters are there in total?

Great! There are 6 chapters. And they’re all pretty much different from one another. (even if some share the same locations, but with new screens/rooms) For example, don’t bother trying to move that piano in the stairs, that room is for Chapter 2 :p

Actually I’m considering doing some art for the later chapters, because it’s a bit frustrating to only show the first ones. That doesn’t give a good view of the game overall, which may surprise you Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top