• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOG.com introduces own client app

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 06 May 2015 07:20 PM

It doesn’t have all the bell and whistles that Steam has like achievements, medals, cards, community, market. Don’t know if they will add any of that (meaningless?) stuff.

Isn’t GOG also planning to add achievements to the client?
I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 May 2015 05:38 PM

Not really. In practice, I have a ton of old games in boxes that I can’t play, because I don’t have the necessary hardware anymore. I know that in theory I could get a USB floppy drive or something, but in practice I know I’ll never do that (and that’s not taking into account all the floppies that may have died, CDs that got scratched, etc.).

That is completely your choice, but you have the choice of buying a very cheap Pentium PC (for probably the price of a retail game these days), and play them to your hearts content. As far as them getting scratched, you can always back them up. The point is, they are yours and you can do with them whatever you want. And to counter your argument that old games can’t run, I actually felt like playing Beyond Good and Evil the other day, so I installed my twelve year old copy of the game and played it to my hearts content.

When I say future I don’t mean 12 years even. Steam could go out of business 2 years from now, and I won’t be able to play my games.

Kurufinwe - 06 May 2015 05:38 PM

But I don’t think that’s a problem. As long as we’re talking about digital things that can be duplicated infinitely at no cost, “ownership” doesn’t really mean anything. Access is what matters, and I know that it won’t be difficult for me to still have access to my Steam games (one way or another) even if Steam dies—just like I still have access to my older games even though I can’t read the floppies anymore.

That is true, if you are only talking about “Access” and don’t mind rebuying the games you bought. I am not very rich, so to me, I hate paying again for something I already own. Maybe you should look at it from that perspective.

Also from a customer relationship point of view, DRM to me feels like I am being treated like a potential thief. Can you imagine having DRM in some other industries? It would actually sound ridiculous of you think about it. Imagine buying a car and not being able to use it anymore if Toyota went out of business. That would be hilarious wouldn’t it? Why is it okay with games?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 07 May 2015 01:28 PM

I’ve deleted it, so can’t check, but I’m pretty sure they said so in their announcement mail yesterday. Achievements are definitely planned.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 07 May 2015 03:37 PM
Iznogood - 07 May 2015 01:28 PM

I’ve deleted it, so can’t check, but I’m pretty sure they said so in their announcement mail yesterday. Achievements are definitely planned.

yes, achievements will be coming. It’s in the that mail and I think they already talked about it the first time they announced Galaxy.
http://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_galaxy

I don’t they are there now but I might have mossed it. Maybe in Witcher 3?

Right now:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top