• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 22 March 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The intro of the first episode of 1st-person adventure Montague’s Mount (2013) reminded me strongly of Dear Esther: man alone on island, limping(!), talking to himself every now and then, exloring dark, foreboding surroundings, uncovering secrets. But the comparison ends there. I lost interest after a while: lots of backtracking to locate items, hardly visible hotspots, repetitive puzzles, not enough story. I won’t be buying the next episode, if there is going to be one.

I chose a screenshot inside a cave because outside it’s hard to make out anything in the very dark and grey world outside. Two things I really liked: You can see your own shadow when the light is behind you. And the descriptions are in Irish Gaelic, a language that always had a magic quality for me in writing. Just look at those beautiful words!*

*It lost some of its magic when I bought a book about Gaelic and learned the rationale behind the mysterious spelling. Fortunately, the magic then shifted to the pronunciation.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I bought the game very cheap in a GoG sale mistaking it for another game so I was interested in your thoughts on it Karlok. On reading them I may get around to installing it sometime in the future but there’s now no hurry!

As for Gaelic pronunciation I came across a colleague in my working life with a name spelt Niamh (or something like that) which I presumed to be pronounced ‘Niam’ (like the male name Liam)... but no! it was pronounced as “Neeve” - HUH! Also the name Siobhan which I always assumed to be pronounced as ‘See-o-ban’ I discovered years later was actually pronounced as “Shivorn” ....so I conclude that Gaelic is a great language to use as a basis for difficult unfathomable puzzles in adventure games! Laughing

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I love Irish names. Wouldn’t it be great to be called Aoibheann. Smile See here for the pronunciation.

The reason that the Irish couldn’t fit their rich language in the straightjacket of the Roman alphabet is that every consonant can be pronounced either slender (velar) or broad (palatal). So they use combinations of letters (like bh and le) to indicate whether a consonant is slender or broad. The words lón (lunch) and leon (lion) are distinguished in sound only by the kind of l.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 22 March 2015 08:32 PM

Wouldn’t it be great to be called Aoibheann?

Not in the old days of postcards. There wouldn’t be a living soul to figure out how to write that one.
Pronouncing it would be fun, though. I-owe-bean(s)? Yippee-yay-oh!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top