• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Weird problem with the Space Bar

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I’m playing The Space Bar on my old Win98 machine and everything went smoothly until I got to the Deven-7 emp-tel, which is all about solving a complicated bidding/selling problem at Deven’s computer. The screen should look like the above pic, which I got from the Internet.** But my own screen doesn’t show the column “Include on Team”, it stops after “Inclu”. (Top, bottom, left side are fine.) A real gamestopper as you have to click on this column and tick boxes. The weird thing is that the words Return to Main Menu are not cut off.

The game wants 640 x 480 and 16 bits color. I’ve tried different settings, makes no difference. So is this some kind of font problem? Anybody?

**I can’t post a pic of my problem because my Win98 machine is no longer connected to the Internet, has a read-only CD drive and no way to use a USB stick that I know of. It does have 3.5” floppy drive… too bad they forgot to equip my Win 7 computer with one. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Perhaps someone using a different version of Windows (not me. I also use 98 through emulation, but I haven’t been on this Emp-Tel yet. I only hope that I won’t meet Fien’s bug.) should post if the same problems occured as well.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Fien - 18 August 2012 03:02 AM

It does have 3.5” floppy drive… too bad they forgot to equip my Win 7 computer with one.

If you could get a saved game from someone, you could transfer the save to a floppy using a USB floppy drive on your Windows 7 computer.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks crabapple, it’s probably the best solution. But I’d have to find someone who owns a USB floppy drive or buy one myself. I’m not going to all that trouble.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Maybe try installing USB drivers for Windows 98? Assuming you actually have USB ports on that computer that is. Of course, you’d probably have to burn a CD to get the drivers to the computer.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Or you could try to get the hard disk out of the old machine, and put it in the Win 7 machine which would hopefully recognize it so you put the save file on that hard disk?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I’ll try to convince my real life computer friend, who takes care of all my technical stuff, that this is an urgent problem which needs his immediate attention. He’s not into gaming, though.  Meh

Nobody ventured a guess what may be causing the problem. Nobody got that far in the game yet? I can’t think of anything but some stupid font.

EDIT: Problem solved by my real life computer friend. Smile Smile

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top