• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanHenk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 19 March 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yesterday zobraks wondered if there are adventure games I haven’t tried to play. HA! I’m no Bastich and if I had a list of unplayed adventures it would be very long. When Chrissie and I started our AGSotD year together, we agreed that we wanted to pay tribute to games that hadn’t been used in previous years. (With the exception of special weeks and midweeks.) And we soon discovered that we’re a perfect team because we’d played different adventures with hardly any overlap. I have perhaps played one out of every 12-15 games on Chrissie’s AGSotD list. There were also a couple of unplayed games I smuggled into my own AGSotDs, like Qin and Jazz & Faust.

So here’s another one I have not played or tried. Ring: The Legend of The Nibelungen (1999) by Axel Tribe, based on the opera. Tell me what I missed, apart from Wagner’s music!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 19 March 2015 07:19 AM

Tell me what I missed, apart from Wagner’s music!

Judging by the screenshots from the Ring I have you’ve missed a lot of colo(u)rful characters.
I’ve missed them too (never tried Ring in this life).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 19 March 2015 07:19 AM

Tell me what I missed, apart from Wagner’s music!

Even the bearded (hirsute!) character knows what players will think of the game experience.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played this one years ago. It was wonderfully odd. The narration voiceover was excellent, as I recall, and the game succeeds at providing a tremendous sense of scale as you wander about in space, attempting to be the helper of the gods. Or at least trying to figure out what is going on.

I’ve never seen the opera, and that might be partly why I liked the game. If you know the opera well, you might find this weird, edgy version to be irreverent. On the other hand, if you’ve seen the opera you might actually understand what’s going on.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

From memory I played it for about an hour getting as far, I think, as some mining railway type place. Couldn’t work out what to do, where (or how!) to go and gave up. Considering how old the game is and it came on 6 CDs (just checked) it must have been quite an expensive mistake to make.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The game is actually not half bad and I quite enjoyed it.

It has a strong story that is based on the first part of Wagner’s operas, mainly Das Rheingold if I remember correctly, but set a long time in the future in a sci-fi setting, where the protagonist is the last human still in existence.

The scene I remember best is the one with the Rhine maidens, where Alberich first have to show compassion, love and (can’t remember), and then forever abandon those feelings in order to get to the gold.

The main problem is that it was only the first of a planned series of games, meant to retell the whole of the story from Der Ring des Nibelungen, but we only ever got the first part, which means that most of the story was left untold.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

As I recall, the game got such horrifically bad ratings in the mainstream gaming press that I had to play it. Resistance was futile.

How’d the rest of you manage to resist?

Iznogood - 19 March 2015 10:06 AM

The main problem is that it was only the first of a planned series of games, meant to retell the whole of the story from Der Ring des Nibelungen, but we only ever got the first part, which means that most of the story was left untold.

The sequel was released—Ring II: Twilight of the Gods. According to the DVD case, Ring II is the “Sequel to the best-seller Ring—The legend of the Nibelungen (More than 400,000 copies sold worldwide).

For almost half a million people, resistance was futile.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Becky - 19 March 2015 10:09 AM

How’d the rest of you manage to resist?

Our wife and our boss (it’s usually the same person) force us to resist.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 19 March 2015 10:09 AM
Iznogood - 19 March 2015 10:06 AM

The sequel was released—Ring II: Twilight of the Gods.

Yeah you are right, I forgot about the sequel.
It initially slipped under my radar when first released, and when I did learn about it, I was scared away by “action-oriented puzzles” and “clumsy keyboard-controlled interface”. Now I of course regret that I didn’t buy and play it regardless of that, just to get more of the story. But I believe that it was planned as at least 4 games, and we still don’t get the full story with the sequel.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I watched all 12 hours of the Ring series on tv when it was shown on consecutive nights in the early 90s.  Some of it I loved and some I just endured, but I probably would have liked the game.  For those who would rather have their toenails pulled out than listen to opera, I suggest this interpretation of the Ring series by Anna Russell:

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top