• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #8-Drawn: Trail of Shadows

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Drawn - Trail of Shadows is the third, and for all we know, final episode in the Drawn trilogy.

Iris, come close child and I’ll tell you a magical tale.

Long ago, there was a boy who had an amazing gift.

He was a talented young artist just like you.

Painting was everything to the boy.

And the images he created were rich and full of life.

His paintings were so vivid in fact, that they became doorways into fantastic worlds.

Until, one day he painted a door that should have been left closed…..

In addition to being the last, Drawn 3 is also the shortest, and, in my opinion, the easiest of the three games. That said, it has some seriously hard puzzles. And it does what it can to tie the first two games together into a cohesive whole.

I’m going to give this playthrough twelve days. The playthrough will consist of four three-day sessions. Each session should last between one and two hours.

Please post a message when you have the game loaded. Barring anyone having a problem, we will start the game on Friday, March 20, at The Cottage. Let’s have some fun.

Play until you reach The Garden.

If you want to solve the puzzles on this screen, go ahead. Stop when you’ve entered The Garden.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m good to go.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Installed and ready to go.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m ready, too.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Installed and ready to go.

And like I said before: that menu screen is one of the coolest ever… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I’m ready to go!

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Me too I’m ready.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Let’s have at it.

You will note that while we proceed, Frederick is still very much a part of the story.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love Franklin’s voice.  I could listen to him tell stories all day.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Reached the garden. Took me maybe 20 minutes. So far, it’s a bit too easy… but maybe the difficulty will ramp up later. And didn’t we already have a colour mixing puzzle in an earlier chapter?

I really like the concept of integrating the diary into the gameplay. So far it’s mostly just “click on everything to continue”, but I hope they will expand on it. And the fact that we’re inside a painting, interacting with paintings inside the painting to affect the painting we’re in, is… er, I don’t know how to describe that, but I like it. Laughing

Also curious how this is going to tie into the earlier story-line. I guess it’s a prequel of sorts? I’m disappointed that we didn’t get to see Iris’ kingdom under her rule, unless that comes later on. I mean, we spent two games restoring it from darkness, it would be nice to get to see a little of what we’ve achieved.

The graphics are obviously more technically advanced in this chapter, and it’s totally beautiful, but there seems to be something missing that I can’t really put my finger on. Perhaps it’s that most of the world is pretty bright and colourful already, so there isn’t the same contrast of bright vs. gloomy that we had in most of the previous games.

TimovieMan - 18 March 2015 05:33 PM

And like I said before: that menu screen is one of the coolest ever… Cool

I probably would have missed this if you hadn’t mentioned it! A really nice touch. It seems that these paper-craft scenes have a bigger role in this game than previously, so maybe I would have noticed it later on.

rtrooney - 19 March 2015 11:20 PM

You will note that while we proceed, Frederick is still very much a part of the story.

Do you mean Franklin? Or is Frederick the boy that we’re following? What’d I miss?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

harald - 20 March 2015 04:09 PM

Do you mean Franklin? Or is Frederick the boy that we’re following? What’d I miss?

Correct. I meant Franklin. Yet another sidekick who’s name begins with F. Pan

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve reached the garden. I hadn’t noticed the interactivity in the main menu either. Good to know.

I enjoyed the painting/palette puzzle. It was multi-stepped and logical. Having just finished the watercolor puzzle in Dark Flight and the jigsaw in Dark Flight’s bonus section (which was rather difficult) I found it refreshing to find a puzzle that didn’t make me sit and stare at the screen for an hour.

I like it when puzzles are easier at the beginning as you are just getting into the story, more difficult in the middle, and then easier at the end when you can’t wait to find out HOW it’s all going to end.

So far I’m enjoying this game even more than the first two.

The emphasis on the pages and the scrolling effect when you move reminds me a bit of Tengami. Did anyone else play that?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I reached the garden as well.  I decided to play the game in advanced mode, which made the lock puzzle to the garden a bit trickier than I remembered.

The graphics in this game are softer and more colorful than the previous two.  It’s a different style but I still like it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached the garden.

I like how vibrant everything is.
In The Painted Tower, the dark parts were really dark and the vibrant parts were very vibrant, making the contrast a wonder to behold. In Dark Flight, the dark parts were really dark, but the vibrant parts were darker than in The Painted Tower.
Here the dark parts are not as dark, but the vibrant parts are really vibrant again, and I prefer that. Dark Flight was the weakest in that regard, so I’m glad to see an improvement in colourfulness.

Puzzles are relatively easy so far. Hopefully there’s a couple of really tough ones like in Dark Flight.

The story seems like a rehash of the first two games, packaged as a prequel. Feels like a standalone game so far. Hopefully it ties a little more into the story of the first two, with the boy being Iris’ father or something. And maybe we playing the role of Franklin…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It seems like most people have reached the Garden. For those who stopped at the first Garden scene, solve the puzzle and enter the garden filled with color.

Not everyone is happy in the Garden. Almost all the characters require something that was taken from them in order for them to resume their lives.

We will start the Garden episode tomorrow, Monday. Although for a few of the players my tomorrow is already your today.

You have until Wednesday to reach this location

As before, if you want to solve the puzzle here, fine. But once you enter the Cave, stop.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have also reached the garden, and since it is now Monday here I might as well push on.

And yeah, the graphics in the game is lighter and more colourful than in the previous games. I kind of like that, it was getting a bit depressing to run around in the same dark blue backgrounds all the time.

Puzzles: Nothing really challenging yet, but still better than seen in the other casuals I have played.

Story: Very clearly some kind of prologue or prequel to the story of Iris in the previous games. Exactly how long before the other games is not clear yet. It is a story told by Franklin to Iris, so it could have happened hundreds of years ago, but it also features the same evil king, so it is most likely more recently, and I suspect that the boy in this game is actually Iris’s father.

When Franklin is telling this is also unclear, but I think and is after her parents were killed and while she is in exile in the tower, and I believe that he is telling her the story to prepare her for her own battle with the king.

I must however say that I’m finding it a bit boring, that we are once again playing as a third party following the breadcrumbs left by others, instead of being the boy himself or some other actual character in the story. This kind of third party protagonist has never really been a kind a narrative mechanics that I have ever been fond of.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top