• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 14 August 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Next Monday will be the 122nd anniversary of H.P. Lovecraft’s birth. Since his works have inspired numerous adventure games, I’m doing a special series this week: Seven Days of Lovecraft.

Today we begin with one of the very best Lovecraftian adventures: Alone in the Dark. Much more Lovecraftian than most of the faux-Cthulhu stuff, Alone in the Dark is a very tense adventure in an old house inhabited by a dark presence. Because it is regarded as the grandfather of the survival horror genre, people can forget that it’s first and foremost an adventure game. But with few unavoidable action sequences (although often made needlessly difficult by godawful controls) and many clever puzzles, that’s really what it is—and one of the best.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I thought Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet was the best Lovecraftian adventure.

Oops, you said “ONE OF the very best”. My bad. Sorry.

Now that Alone in the Dark is playable on modern machines (Thank you a million, GOG!), I’m intending to play it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Shhh… Don’t spoil the rest of the week!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 14 August 2012 11:10 AM

...godawful controls...

You can say that again! It’s the one thing I remember about this game. All I did was try to avoid enemies. Puzzles? Well, if you say so. I must have stopped playing by then.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Never played the game, but just want to give you a big thumbs up for the idea of a themed week - love it :-)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Can’t beat the French school when it comes to classic action-adventures - Infogrames or Adeline with their LBA series and one of my favs - Time Commando, managed to blend genres seamlessly.

Alone in the Dark is sort of a precursor to two kind of games - add more shooting/boobs and you get Tomb Raider, add more puzzles/story and you get… something that developers didn’t think of.

Also, I love how box covers were done in a novel/comic fashion:

Is 2008. reboot any good?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 August 2012 12:01 PM

Never played the game, but just want to give you a big thumbs up for the idea of a themed week - love it :-)

Especially this particular theme… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I can’t remember whether this game was in the top 100 but it deserves to be. Hugely influential. I think I liked the 2nd one the best.

Fien - 14 August 2012 11:47 AM
Kurufinwe - 14 August 2012 11:10 AM

...godawful controls...

You can say that again! It’s the one thing I remember about this game. All I did was try to avoid enemies. Puzzles? Well, if you say so. I must have stopped playing by then.

What, did you give up in the first room?

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 14 August 2012 07:57 PM

I can’t remember whether this game was in the top 100 but it deserves to be.

It wasn’t. (This is the end of the discussion; follow the quotes for the whole thing.)

(Remember when posts had links to the ones they quoted? Looking at the old boards and then having to go back to the awful new software is a painful experience.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top