• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango’s teaser image (and discussion of spoilers in general)

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I am currently playing through this game for the first time and I am pretty sure I just had a major story twist ruined by the screenshot that is attached to the review article, which currently appears on the front page.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I think you’re lucky, I see no spoiler/a major story twist ruined there.

Read this after you finish the third part of the game:
SPOILER AHEAD!
[spoiler]It might have looked to you that Miss Colomar had turned out to be a bad guy girl, but she wasn’t.[/spoiler]

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Complaints about spoilers of a nearly 20 year old game are kind of silly, no?  Stay off the internet maybe?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If you’ve never played the game, then you lack the context for that screenshot, so it still can’t spoil. You need more than a single screenshot to be spoiled.

And even then, studies have shown that spoilers don’t ruin your enjoyment, so who cares? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

In terms of spoilers this one doesn’t really have much impact at all. Don’t worry about it, Astro.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Lambonius - 24 February 2015 03:19 PM

Complaints about spoilers of a nearly 20 year old game are kind of silly, no?  Stay off the internet maybe?

How else would he need to get the game then?

And even then, studies have shown that spoilers don’t ruin your enjoyment, so who cares? Tongue

Not necessarily ruin….but how about diminish?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Perhaps not that big of a spoiler in this instance but it does happen with other games and I hate it. I don’t care how old the game is - it annoys me when I see articles about Snatcher and they always post that screenshot where the guy is decapitated. That’s meant to be a shocking moment of the game too. Journos could definitely be more conscientious of it.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Actually, we make a concerted effort to be sensitive of such things in all aspects of our reviews. If the Grim pic were, indeed, a major spoiler, we’d have never used it.

Always heartwarming when someone assumes the worst, though. Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

This is a spoiler of a spoiler now Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 24 February 2015 04:42 PM

Who conducted these studies? I know from personal experience they ruin mine Tongue I am till this day bitter about the ending of Mass Effect 2 ruined by my co-worker Neutral

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I should have said other websites than other games. Never had a game ruined for me here… but I’m watching. :squintyeyesofrestrainedmadness:

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Bogi - 24 February 2015 05:40 PM

This is a spoiler of a spoiler now Smile

This is actually a fair point and maybe adventuregamer should condsider putting up an image of a non-climatic moment.

The thing is it puts people on the wrong track and might possibly lessen the enjoyment leading up to the moment only to find out they were wrong…but then some damage is already done.

Either the guy is spoiled something big…
or he figures it must be something trivial otherwise the website would not use this image, also a spoiler in itself.
And possibly if he is completely convinced of the former assumption he might go around telling he got spoiled ‘that’ moment in order for others to tell him you didn’t get spoiled anything thus spoiling it lol.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SoccerDude28 - 24 February 2015 05:43 PM

Who conducted these studies? I know from personal experience they ruin mine Tongue I am till this day bitter about the ending of Mass Effect 2 ruined by my co-worker Neutral

Apparently, the University of California in San Diego.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 24 February 2015 04:42 PM

Who conducted these studies?

TimovieMan has mentioned it before. College students reading literary short stories with of without spoilers. That’s 10-12 pages, not an investment of 10-12 hours of active involvement in a game. Makes a difference.

I know from personal experience they ruin mine Tongue

Mine too! By its very nature science can not predict the responses of individuals. And of course you can still get a lot of fun out of a book, film, game when you know the plot, maybe even more fun. But it’s an undeniable fact that spoilers about the plot rob the reader or player of a special kind of fun.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Anybody willing to take a test and read a short story with or without spoilers? I’ve reposted Tim Schafer’s link at the DF forums (which I originally posted in the thread Broken Age Initial Thoughts): The tone of the Maidens Feast was inspired by Shirley Jackson’s short story The Lottery, which for some reason you can read for free here:

http://sites.middlebury.edu/individualandthesociety/files/2010/09/jackson_lottery.pdf

If you haven’t read this story, here’s a major spoiler.

Every year someone gets stoned by the villagers, that’s what the voting is for.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 24 February 2015 06:43 PM

Apparently, the University of California in San Diego.

That study is not representative of anything with a such a small sample and only short stories

they should conduct a study with The Sixth Sense. I doubt a lot of people knowing the twist will get the same enjoyment of the movie.

And I hate spoilers Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top