• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 09 February 2015

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Clock Tower (1997) released on PS1 is apparently a sequel to a Japanese game with the same title released in 1995.

Playing as various characters in this point & click adventure it’s a crazy tale of trying to escape a very slow limp-along serial killer wielding a large pair of shears either by finding a place to hide or using an item to stun him/slow him down to throw him off your trail.

Although it’s a tense survival horror (if it doesn’t make you laugh) the game really is more puzzle focused than action orientated relying on exploration & finding/noting items/objects/places in order to progress, also it does have a reasonable story (although the dialogue is dire!) Also there are choices in the game that can lead to different scenarios & with 10 possible different endings (with only one good one) there is a lot of replay value! I had a lot of fun with this game at the time!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I never played this one precisely but seems like a good oportunity to link the interesting on-going kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

That brings back some momories chrissie.I was accidentally bought a wrong game, the japanese version somewhere cheap online.I was hoping at least for english subs, but no luck for me there.Since I can’t understand a single japanese word, that game was used only as dust collector.Luckily for me the second game I have bought together with this was a Chronicles of the Sword fully in english language..a nice game. Wink

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was interested by the kickstarter too wilco - with the game supposedly being a spiritual successor! I was unable to play Clock Tower 2 because AFAIK it was only released in the US? but did buy Clock Tower 3 which I was disappointed in that it had gone down the ‘heavy route’ with difficult boss levels & seemed miles away from the 1st game I played. So, I do have reservations about the direction of Project Scissors: NightCry although I like the look of it so far!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DarkEye - 09 February 2015 12:28 PM

That brings back some momories chrissie.I was accidentally bought a wrong game, the japanese version somewhere cheap online.I was hoping at least for english subs, but no luck for me there.Since I can’t understand a single japanese word, that game was used only as dust collector.Luckily for me the second game I have bought together with this was a Chronicles of the Sword fully in english language..a nice game. Wink

I’ve done worse than that DarkEye, I’ve accidentally bought completely the wrong genre of game because of a similar title - at least you can Google translate for language if you want to persevere - there’s not a lot you can do about changing a full gung-ho action game you got landed with!!!  Laughing

Did you see my AGSotD for: Chronicles of the Sword?

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Thanks for that link chrissie!I can see that everybody is in love with COTS. Smile .At that time I was pleased to even play an adventure game on playstation.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DarkEye - 09 February 2015 01:19 PM

Thanks for that link chrissie!I can see that everybody is in love with COTS. Smile .At that time I was pleased to even play an adventure game on playstation.

To be quite honest DarkEye I didn’t play the game at the time, I found it on Ebay a number of years later & despite my comments I think it’s a gem (probably for all the wrong reasons!), I did enjoy playing it & there’s no way I would part with it!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 09 February 2015 12:44 PM

I was interested by the kickstarter too wilco - with the game supposedly being a spiritual successor! I was unable to play Clock Tower 2 because ASFAIK it was only released in the US? but did buy Clock Tower 3 which I was disappointed in that it had gone down the ‘heavy route’ with difficult boss levels & seemed miles away from the 1st game I played. So, I do have reservations about the direction of Project Scissors: NightCry although I like the look of it so far!

I actually only played the PS2 one. The kickstarter seems to be more in line with the first Clock Tower, with point click interface and multiple endings. However, it’s not performing very well…

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 09 February 2015 02:01 PM

I actually only played the PS2 one. The kickstarter seems to be more in line with the first Clock Tower, with point click interface and multiple endings. However, it’s not performing very well…

Not surprising, I wanted to donate a small amount to the project as it does seem the development team are keen to make a point & click adventure - it should be an easy process but actually it wasn’t so I just gave up!!!

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I thought the SNES version was pretty good. It’s been many years since I’ve played it. The classic 90’s 2d point and click style is what really sold me!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sir Beardalot - 09 February 2015 03:23 PM

I thought the SNES version was pretty good. It’s been many years since I’ve played it. The classic 90’s 2d point and click style is what really sold me!

The SNES version, the 1st game?, in Japanese? - you speak/understand Japanese Sir Beardalot? Smile That game as far as I can tell sets the scene for the story in the next game Clock Tower i.e. the English PS sequel? Smile

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I played it on a SNES emulator. The ROM I got was an English patched version some fan created. Worth checking into if you are familiar with such.

P.S. From what I’ve gathered the Windows 95 version also has an English patch and is supposed to run on modern systems?!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top