• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 27 January 2015

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TOURNAMENT QUARTER FINALS - Special

Fitzgerald, Tex, Regan, and Cross on their way to either a happy ending or death in The Pandora Directive. My favorite Tex game because of the intro, the three different paths, the consequences of bad choices, and the guest actors. Barry Corbin as Cross was good, but I’m a fan of Kevin McCarthy and he played a very convincing Fitzgerald.

I always wondered why The Boulevard of Broken Dreams has more different endings than Lombard and Mission. Are bad endings what players want most?  Innocent

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

UaKM was my favorite until last year (and I still prefer its overall plot) but after playing PD multiple times with different paths I realized the complexity and achievements of the game. Epic game.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

One of the things I love about TPD is that there is no “Chelsee will remember that” or “Good vs. Evil” choices. Instead the mechanics of the branching is completely hidden from the player, and you just have to go with your choices without knowing what the consequences will be, or for that matter without knowing that you actually just made a choice, and that there was another possibility.

This is how branching should work, and not how “others” do it.

The fact that it also have one of the best songs I have ever heard in an AG, doesn’t hurt: Tex’s Lament by Richie Havens

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I still like UaKM more!!
I guess it comes to which game introduced me to the series….

Of course TPD is still a great game with groundbreaking material and I’m glad that it represents so well the 1st person adventure games in the contest thus far.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 27 January 2015 03:33 PM

The fact that it also have one of the best songs I have ever heard in an AG, doesn’t hurt: Tex’s Lament by Richie Havens

Great song!

Nice vid, too. Is it me, or is Chris Jones actually a pretty decent actor?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 27 January 2015 03:33 PM

One of the things I love about TPD is that there is no “Chelsee will remember that” or “Good vs. Evil” choices. Instead the mechanics of the branching is completely hidden from the player, and you just have to go with your choices without knowing what the consequences will be, or for that matter without knowing that you actually just made a choice, and that there was another possibility.

I don’t understand what you mean by “Chelsee will remember that” but I’d say the choices and the mechanics of the branching are pretty much spelled out for the player. Ask Chelsee out on a date and the three paths (Broken Dreams, Lombard, Mission) are there in the dialogue tree. You find an unmailed envelope with money you can either pocket or put in the mailbox. You can try to get information from Nilo by paying him or intimidating him. Shoot Cross or shoot Fitzgerald. I always knew I had a choice. Which is not true for a game like The Last Express, where you can solve some problems in more than one way without knowing you have other options with different consequences.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 27 January 2015 07:30 PM

I don’t understand what you mean by “Chelsee will remember that”

Well obviously you haven’t played TWD or any of the other recent games from Telltale.

but I’d say the choices and the mechanics of the branching are pretty much spelled out for the player.

You are either much much much better at seeing through these things and making predictions based on almost zero evidence and clues than I am, or you are simply remembering this wrong.

Sure there are some that are obvious, but the most important decisions are all well hidden, in fact they are so well hidden that I have never heard of anyone who has managed to finish the game on “Mission Street” on their first playthrough without using a walkthrough. 

Ask Chelsee out on a date and the three paths (Broken Dreams, Lombard, Mission) are there in the dialogue tree.

No they aren’t!

And succeeding in getting that date with her? Obviously it is a goal and a long time dream for Tex, but what will the consequences be of taking her on a date in the middle of a dangerous murder investigation, good, bad or somewhere in between?

The answer is: [spoiler]Not Good! In fact you can’t end on Mission Street unless you fail at convincing her to go to the Flamingo with you.[/spoiler] 

You find an unmailed envelope with money you can either pocket or put in the mailbox.

But you can still end on Mission Street even if you keep the money, and you might need the money later in the game, in fact you can reach a dead end if you run out of money. Not as clear a Good/Bad choice as you think, even if it is the most obvious one in the game.

You can try to get information from Nilo by paying him or intimidating him.

Same answer, and only a wuss would even dream of letting him extort us like that.

Shoot Cross or shoot Fitzgerald. I always knew I had a choice.

Or don’t shoot anybody, in fact even better, don’t be on Boulevard of Broken Dreams to begin with! This happens too late in the game to have anything other than minor influence on the ending.

Which is not true for a game like The Last Express, where you can solve some problems in more than one way without knowing you have other options with different consequences.

I haven’t played TLE yet (yes I know), so it might do this even better than TPD.
But I’m not talking about multiple solutions to puzzles, what I am talking about is that the triggers that decide your path are at lest for the most part well hidden, and not something that is “pushed” right up in your face.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 28 January 2015 04:33 PM

Well obviously you haven’t played TWD or any of the other recent games from Telltale.

LOL! I didn’t realize it was a reference to another game. No, I haven’t played TWD and I never will, I find the whole zombie thing offputting. I have bought Wolf Among Us though.

You are either much much much better at seeing through these things and making predictions based on almost zero evidence and clues than I am, or you are simply remembering this wrong.

I checked the “Chelsee date” options and you’re right.

Sure there are some that are obvious, but the most important decisions are all well hidden, in fact they are so well hidden that I have never heard of anyone who has managed to finish the game on “Mission Street” on their first playthrough without using a walkthrough.

It’s very easy make the “right” choices to end on Boulevard. It should therefore be just as easy to end on Mission Street. But I agree that it isn’t. So yes, the game mechanics are hidden up to a point. Maybe the difference between the middle road of Lombard and the good Tex of Mission is simply not big enough, whereas the difference between Good and Bad is crystal clear most of the time. If you want a relationship with Chelsee, it’s obviously not a good idea to have sex with someone else. You want to be a good guy, don’t argue with someone you owe money, just pay him.

I haven’t played TLE yet (yes I know),

Glad you know. Smile If one day you happen to feel like playing one of the best adventures ever made, don’t buy the Steam/ipad/iphone version (some things were left out), go for the original retail one or GOG instead.

But I’m not talking about multiple solutions to puzzles, what I am talking about is that the triggers that decide your path are at lest for the most part well hidden, and not something that is “pushed” right up in your face.

I wasn’t talking about puzzles either. The Last Express doesn’t have puzzles, only problems. Having enough money in the Pandora Directive isn’t a puzzle, it’s a problem.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 29 January 2015 12:44 PM

It’s very easy make the “right” choices to end on Boulevard. It should therefore be just as easy to end on Mission Street. But I agree that it isn’t. So yes, the game mechanics are hidden up to a point. Maybe the difference between the middle road of Lombard and the good Tex of Mission is simply not big enough, whereas the difference between Good and Bad is crystal clear most of the time.

Yeah it is not perfect, and Mission is too much of a challenge and reward for doing everything perfectly, but the principles behind how it works is how proper branching should work imo.

Karlok - 29 January 2015 12:44 PM

Glad you know. Smile If one day you happen to feel like playing one of the best adventures ever made, don’t buy the Steam/ipad/iphone version (some things were left out), go for the original retail one or GOG instead.

I actually have both the GOG and Android version installed and ready to go, but for some reason I never get around to actually playing it Confused

And I almost forgot:

TimovieMan - 27 January 2015 05:08 PM

Is it me, or is Chris Jones actually a pretty decent actor?

He is. His performance is a bit uneven at times, and it sometimes shines through that he is not a professional actor, but he is still doing a better job compared to what we see in most other FMV games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top