• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

R16 Bracket 3 - The Big AG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Match 1

'Discworld Noir                             6 
Grim Fandango                              27

Match 2

Broken SwordThe Shadow of the Templars  21
'Syberia                                   14 

p80

Discworld Noir_______________________________
                                             \__QF_5___
Grim Fandango________________________________
/         \
                                                        \
                                                         \__SF_3____

/
Broken SwordThe Shadow of the Templars_____           

\__QF_6___/  
Syberia______________________________________

Vote for one game in each versus match that you’d like to see advance to the next round. Feel free to skip any match that you don’t want to vote in.

Voting for this bracket will end on 26 January at 23:59 GMT.

The four games in each bracket that survive their versus match will go on to the next round (Quarterfinals), and so on, until only one game remains and wins the tournament for our community’s favorite adventure game.

Not sure what this tournament is all about? See the Overview thread here. Don’t worry if you missed previous rounds. Join in and have fun!

Match 1 - Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…

Discworld Noir

Nothing is better than Discworld Noir!
Millenia

Machinarium just can’t compete with this!
Toefur

Personal favorite.
Badlemon

Noir is not only the best game in the Discworld series but also one of the best games ever made…
Iznogood

Discworld Noir instantly had me hooked.
Detective Mosely

One of my favourite games and my favourite fictional universe.
Duck of Doom

Grim Fandango

One of the best games of all time and IMO Lucas Arts best game ever.
Sefir

GF would rise…
Nomadsoul

I think Grim Fandango might just be the game to win this tournament.
Adventure Games Forever

One of my absolute favourites!
TimovieMan

Second best adventure game ever made! The amazing world, the great voice acting, the very unique setting, the memorable characters, the engaging plot, the difficult yet clever puzzles, this game has it all.
SoccerDude28

Few games can stand against Grim!
Subbi

Match 2 - Eternal dilemma: Paris in the Fall Vs. Siberia in the Winter

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

I’m a BS fanboy!
Diego

The first Broken Sword is a jet-setters dream, full of intrigue, excitement, and a rich narrative. With its animated graphics and voices, the original version still holds up well today—no remake needed.
Adventure Games Forever

Still the best game in the series!
Bogi

I mean its’ BS!
Iznogood

Syberia

Syberia is a freaking masterpiece!
A very unique game where there is no other games quite like it.

Iznogood

One of the most atmospheric games.
FrasierCrane

Syberia is very good and it’d be a shame to see it go…
TimovieMan

The early 2000s were a depressing time to be an adventure gamer. It seemed like The Longest Journey would be the swan song for the genre, and then out of nowhere, Syberia reared it’s robotic head, and showed us that the genre was coming back, paving the way for the second golden age of adventure games…
Adventure Games Forever

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

1- Grim Fandango
2- Broken Sword

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Match 2 = Syberia

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Grim Fandango
-

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Match 1 - Grim Fandango                   
Match 2 - Syberia                      

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

grim fandango
broken sword

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Grim Fandango
Syberia

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Grim Fandango
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

1. Discworld Noir
2. -

I know GF will murder Noir but what can you do, it’s still my favourite game so of course I vote for it. Broken Sword and Syberia are both good adventures, but only around 4 star games for me, can’t really decide which one is better, they’re very different.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Match 1 - Grim Fandango
Match 2 - Broken Sword 1

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

1. Grim Fandango (Ahhh, I can already hear many people banging their heads to the wall for this draw Tongue ). Noir is by far the best Discworld game and one of the funniest games ever along with Callahan’s and Curse of MI, but Grim Fandango is perhaps the epitomy of greatness and my 2nd favorite game of all time.
2. Syberia.  I never liked the Broken Sword Series. Nice games, but that’s it for me. On the other hand, Syberia is a piece of art. It is not only enjoyable, but influential as well. For that, it gets my vote.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-03-08

PM

1: Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Easy choices. Grim Fandango and Broken Sword are true classics in every way. They were leading the Adventure game scene in their respective release year. Both are in the AG Top 100 with a Top 5 placement and this is fully deserved.

Match 1: Grim Fandango
Match 2: Broken Sword 1

I really don’t understand why some people dislike or found Broken Sword uninspired…..it seems to me this can only be the case if you played the game only in recent years for the first time. (correct me if I’m wrong)

When it was released in 1996 it was the much needed breath of fresh air in the Adventure scene. Sierra was doing so many different things (2 FMV games, poor sequels, some odd new IP) and LucasArts just released a game in low-res that had the looks of a much older game.
Broken Sword came with grand high-res realistic backgrounds, state-of-the-art animation, great voice acting, a contemporary crime plot in a realistic setting, puzzles that are an integral part of the plot and much more….it was really an Adventure and a much needed change from the many humoristic cartoony adventure games that pretty much defined the genre.

Maybe looking at it with 2015 eyes you may wonder “what is all the fuss about?”, but back in 1996 this game was impressive as hell. Just read AG’s review on this site, it kind of perfectly captures the overwhelming response to this game back in 1996.

Probably the only downside is that due to some strange marketing ploy, the US market missed much of the game’s initial release (rebranded as Circle of Blood) and only gotten some popularity later on….but that’s like receiving a game like GTA 4 or Red Dead Redemption 3 years after their initial release. You don’t get the same wow effect anymore as on launch day.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

subbi - 21 January 2015 03:39 AM

It seems to me this can only be the case if you played the game only in recent years for the first time. (correct me if I’m wrong).

I played it around 2000-2003 (the first 2 to be precise. I didn’t bother with the rest of the series).

I found the main characters really uninspired (Really? After the Gabriel/Grace and Guybrash/Elaine another blond man/brunnette woman stereotype? Runnaway continued this proud tradition later on… Tongue But the key thing is that both George and Nico’s characters were too one-dimentional imo. Extremely poor character development, especially when they get compared to Syberia’s Kate Walker in that department) and the story kind of lamish. The graphics were ok, but not something really worth mentioning and I cannot remember any of the music to judge it. It does have some good voice acting, especially for George (Nico’s accent was a bit off, but forgiven) and some puzzles were really good (I liked the famous goat puzzle). In general. I don’t count them as good as other games I like (Riven, Grim Fandango, The Whispered World, Machinarium, Callahan’s, The Longest Journey, etc).
The bottom line? Each to his own tastes I guess. Smile

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

M1: Discworld Noir - I didn’t expect such a slaughterhouse, undead armies are definitely unstoppable Smile Neither of these games did it for me. I’ll go with the one in Discworld setting, because it’s one of my favourite book series

M2: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - I completely agree with Subbi, in time of its release it was groundbreaking and it still holds up pretty well

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

1. GF will most likely win this tournament or at least make it to the finals so I think it’ll get the love that it deserves. Discworld Noir on the other hand is a game I equally love so I cannot really say which is better. Both have great story, writing, atmosphere, music, puzzles, great characters… So my vote goes to Discworld Noir. Can’t say a bad thing about it Smile

2. I don’t really like George and Syberia has a very unique atmosphere but Shadow Of Templars left me with a deeper experience. So… BS1

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top