• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 30 December 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I would not have played Ossuary (2014) if it hadn’t been for the positive AG review. Another indie game that doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Not on Steam, not on GOG, hardly any reviews. From the developer’s site:

Ossuary is a dark, puzzling game where the player explores a strange underworld full of people slowly gathering dust. It explore themes of order, chaos, sin, and virtue, and it draws strong inspiration from the Discordian religious tradition.

I got the impression that the AG reviewer knew everything about this Discordian religious tradition, but I hadn’t heard of it. Although I love it when games make me look up facts about history, philosophy, art and other stuff, I thought it would be best to start the game first. It’s essentially a text adventure with basic graphics that do add to the atmosphere. Look closely at the screenshot and you can see you’re walking on a floor of skulls, bones, rib cages! No voices, no music, just some sounds and a persistent deep, low tone which started to get on my nerves within a couple of minutes. It’s all about text though. You talk to people, act as a messenger boy in order to find secret words and uncover lies. The best part is that you can use the seven deadly sins on people and everybody responds differently. Many responses don’t fit our definition of “sinful”, for instance Envy has a strong element of empathy. That’s when I decided to look up Discordianism.

Well, well, well. Order and disorder are man-made concepts, artificial divisions of pure chaos. Says the book Principia Discordia, written by Greg Hill aka Malaclypse the Younger, originally published in 1965. In a limited edition of five copies. Smile The goddess Eris, the apple of discord, the pentagon, hodge and podge. I’m not sure whether I should take it seriously or not. Probably both.  Innocent  Naughty

I’d already closed the Wikipedia and Discordianism pages when suddenly the name Malaclypse rang a bell… Malaclypse… wait a minute, that’s the name of the follower of the Goddess Errata in Discworld Noir, the guy who claims everybody belongs to his Church whether we know it or not. Conspiracies, chaos, discord, confusion, the works. And all this time I thought that old rascal Terry Pratchett had invented everything himself! But it’s a parody of a parody of a non-parody or something. Confused? That will make Malaclypse very happy. Tongue

PS: You have all the information you need to solve the riddle in the screenshot.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 29 December 2014 10:44 PM

Another indie game that doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

Just a glimpse of that screenshot of yours made me realize why. Then again maybe there’s a smashing story hidden deep beneath that awful quasi-retro graphics.
I really hope so.

It’s essentially a text adventure with basic graphics that do add to the atmosphere.

No wonder it’s as popular as it is.

it’s a parody of a parody of a non-parody or something.

Christ. I reckon all the kids out there would like to play this game.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 30 December 2014 03:41 AM

Another indie game that doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

Just a glimpse of that screenshot of yours made me realize why.

You’re talking to someone who doesn’t like the retro and mock-retro trend. But I’ll play any game if it’s good.

Then again maybe there’s a smashing story hidden deep beneath that awful quasi-retro graphics. I really hope so.

Sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps I should have mentioned the game is about philosophy…?

It’s essentially a text adventure with basic graphics that do add to the atmosphere.

No wonder it’s as popular as it is

You’re talking to someone who doesn’t like the retro and mock-retro trend. But I’ll play any game if it’s good.

it’s a parody of a parody of a non-parody or something.

Christ. I reckon all the kids out there would like to play this game.

Here I was referring to the Lewton-Malaclypse dialogue in Discworld Noir. One of the best games ever.  Tongue

PS: Have you solved the riddle?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

PS: You have all the information you need to solve the riddle in the screenshot.

Shoulder ?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That’s correct, Wilco.

PS: I wanted to post just “yep!”, but the forum software won’t let me post only one word. At the same time it won’t allow me to delete my sig and always wants at least one letter or word. The forum software must worship the Goddesses Eris and Errata.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 30 December 2014 07:50 AM

That’s correct, Wilco.

PS: I wanted to post just “yep!”, but the forum software won’t let me post only one word. At the same time it won’t allow me to delete my sig and always wants at least one letter or word. The forum software must worship the Goddesses Eris and Errata.

Grin

I also get that error before a small word. Hitting a space before the word sometimes help.

Ossuary does sound very interesting. Seems like it didn’t get enough exposure. I’ll be checking it out.
The developer is trying to put it on Steam by the Greenlight program.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

At the same time it won’t allow me to delete my sig and always wants at least one letter or word. The forum software must worship the Goddesses Eris and Errata.

Even with the powers bestowed upon me I wasn’t able to completely remove your signature. I did however manage to remove all text if that’s any consolation.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

the forum software won’t let me post only one word.

yes

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 30 December 2014 08:50 AM

the forum software won’t let me post only one word.

yes

That is NOT one word!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 30 December 2014 08:35 AM

At the same time it won’t allow me to delete my sig and always wants at least one letter or word. The forum software must worship the Goddesses Eris and Errata.

Even with the powers bestowed upon me I wasn’t able to completely remove your signature.

I know! Posted about it weeks ago in the feedback forum. And about the line and apostrophe problems.

I did however manage to remove all text if that’s any consolation.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I sometimes want to have a sig and sometimes I don’t. It’s symptom treatment.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 30 December 2014 08:00 AM

I also get that error before a small word. Hitting a space before the word sometimes help.

What always helps is just posting a single letter, and then editing your post to whatever it was you originally had in mind. Editing seems to have fewer restraints…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That worked! So it is possible to post a single letter but not a single word. Wow, I’m beginning to love the forum software.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

It’s the perfect forum software for a site like this. It’s a puzzle in and of itself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top