• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

So much francophobia in Valiant Hearts.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

The game is good but man, so much francophobia, it’s painful. It has a few french characters that are good but the game is full of caricatures obviously made by someone that hates the french fiercely. It’s full of this idiotic british nationalism that has penetrated america and other parts of the western world that they are somehow “cowards and idiots and annoying” as if they ever met any of them.

Not even the nazi soldiers in other WWII stories should be portrayed as evil. I hope for a game or movie that shows a more realistic view. Like that Hitler movie, even if he was deranged, he hasn’t a caricature but just a normal person that was basically mad.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

thinker - 28 December 2014 07:06 AM

the game is full of caricatures obviously made by someone that hates the french fiercely.

Like the french? The game was made by Ubisoft Montpellier.

And come on, how was it francophobic at all? All the characters were so vaguely drawn, and there was sympathy for most of their circumstances. We all know how barbaric trench warfare was, so it’s hardly rewriting history.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Didn’t mind the French portrayal besides the bizarre British accents. At least French characters got somewhat of an arc. I thought the Germans got it the worst, going so far as to turn a baron into a comic book villain and a MacGuffin to propel the brawny American soilder’s story forward.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Regardless of this, it’s interesting how WW1 became a subject of strong historical revisionism in the last years. It’s a good example how present political interest always shape a “historical truth”.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Also, the French may be chauvinistic, but they do have the ability to mock themselves or turn themselves into caricatures.
The 1973 French war comedy ‘Mais où est donc passée la septième compagnie?’ (aka ‘Now Where Did the Seventh Company Get to?’) consistently mocked the French “surrender monkey” reputation by having them retreat in under 10 seconds flat even before the retreat order was fully given (prompting the commander to go “not so fast!” at several points in the film). Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Designers: Credic Barthez, Simon Choquet-Bottani, Jean-François Le Quéré, Gregory Palvadeau, Yannick Patet, Antoine Tous. OMG French hate French! Smile This is what political correctness leads to - people can’t take any joke that involves race/nation anymore, they just get insulted straight away.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Doom - 28 December 2014 10:11 AM

Designers: Credic Barthez, Simon Choquet-Bottani, Jean-François Le Quéré, Gregory Palvadeau, Yannick Patet, Antoine Tous. OMG French hate French! Smile This is what political correctness leads to - people can’t take any joke that involves race/nation anymore, they just get insulted straight away.

This^. Political correctness has gone so far it’s become a parody on itself.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I don’t see what politics has to do with this. At all. It’s understandable to be upset when your nation is ridiculed. Anyway it looks like the poster has disappeared after realizing the developers were French.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

It is ridiculous to be upset about those things. I grew up watching French comedies from 60-80s. If there is a country that knows how to mock literary everything around - from wars and politics to all nations, professions and social classes - it is (or was) France.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top