• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoinklingwood

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#4 (A Healthy Comparison..)

Poll: TBoUT Vs TWW
Total Votes: 23
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Whispered World

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

December/24-Wednesday, 01:50AM
A-DRAW Both Win!

Score for the record:-
TBoUT :11
TWW :11

—————————————————-

..occurs when two average developers win by putting above average effort, and therefore we players win just the same as those two, and everybody is happy at the end.

TBoUT Vs TWW

I broke down the comparison in several point down the image attached, tho it seems that they are almost common in every aspect, the fun yet demands that only one got-to-be-your-favorite/more-closer-to-your-heart than the other.

But as this match is about those two great titles, it actually somehow seems to be blowing into their sequels directions also, with hope of seeing both of the (upcoming) releases shine more than their predecessors, for their’ sake, ours and the-genre.

Opps: a Typo that can not be fixed?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Another clear winner for me. I didn’t really like The Book of Unwritten Tales much while The Whispered World is fantastic.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I like them both, but The Whispered World is slightly better in almost every department.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

While I really enjoyed A whispered World and enjoyed using Spot, nothing beats Book of Unwritten Tales for me.  In fact, in the past week I have played all 3 BoUt games again and still had so much fun ...and was still stumped a few times on how to figure out the puzzles.  I think for me too was that I was annoyed with the voice of The Whispered World guy. I really just had to try to play for the puzzles and ignore him. But, both really really good games!

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Nice match. It’s a tough choice again but my final word goes to TWW because it is maybe the most beautiful hand-drawn recent game I’ve played. Plus, I tend to like games with a more serious tone these days. And also, there’s Spot. On the other hand, I just hate that little bugger Sadwick. In terms of characters, voice overs, dialogue and entertainment BOUT managed to satisfy me more despite its comedy nature. But in the end the things that left stuck in my mind were those magnificent landscapes and that dreamy overall feeling of the game. And emotion is what really counts for me Smile

Total Posts: 6579

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The best hand-painted 2D graphics vs The best pre-rendered 2.5D graphics? It’s a tie.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 16 December 2014 08:51 PM

Opps: a Typo that can not be fixed?

Leave It to Beaver TimovieMan! Cool

Anyway, I haven’t played any of the two games, but I’m voting for BoUT, simply because it’s higher on my list of games to play (a list I have put some serious thought in and where the imo more interesting-looking games are ranked higher). Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Another contest that I expect will be a close one.
Of course in my eyes TWW is clearly superior, sitting in place No5 in my personal top-10 AGs ever list and easily gets my vote…
Its excellent 2d graphics (still better than any other Daedelic’s game) are superior from the (very nice nevertheless) 3d ones in TBoUT, its soundtrack is simply much better, its story (and most of all, the ending) is better. The voice department is one where TBoUT wins, though I never found the Sadwick voice all that bad.
In the riddles section I believe that it is somewhat of a tie. TBoUT executes great puzzles involving different characters. TWW, while sometimes has “Discworldish” difficult inventory puzzles, also has the use of Spot which is extremely smart.
The fact is that, while both storytale games, the one (TBoUT) is a humorous one and the other (TWW) is a serious one with humorous touches, makes them harder to compare than what may seem at first. The latter gave me MUCH more emotions when I played it and when I finished it though… There are only just a couple of games that achieved that to me… That is what matters most of all at the end of the day.

EDIT: As for the sidekick comparison, I love both Spot and Critter but I refuse to call Critter a sidekick. He is a main character (and I loved him much more than the other 3 mains in TBoUT)!! Smile

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed both I’ve gone for BoUT as, for me, the humour in it made slightly more enjoyable but it’s a very close call and I wouldn’t argue with anyone who went for TWW.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Neither of them did it for me tbh, especially The Book which I uninstalled halfway through for being painfully unfunny. So The Whispered World gets my vote - it looks gorgeous and has some fun puzzles and Spot.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I love both of these, I could decide this vote from a coin toss, but TWW got it. The skillfully hand drawn graphics and animations (and the slightly more challenging puzzles) wins me over (though BOUT’s art is pure eye candy too).

Both games are definitely on my personal “top 10 modern/recent adventures”, I had a lot of fun with them. I’m still itching to play the first chapters of BOUT2, but, so far, I’ve managed to resist jumping into it - waiting eagerly for the full game.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I wonder if all these cage matches should be put into TimovieMan’s recommendations thread…
(along with Bogi’s grand VS Tournament of course…)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 17 December 2014 07:27 AM

EDIT: As for the sidekick comparison, I love both Spot and Critter but I refuse to call Critter a sidekick. He is a main character (and I loved him much more than the other 3 mains in TBoUT)!! Smile

50/50, Critter started or was introduced as a sidekick then he appeared later-on as a main character, but then at the sub-Sequel(TCC) he was again (played as) a sidekick (..right?), so as confusing as it is, I was (feeling) given the choice to decide that he is a sidekick, after-all. Grin

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 17 December 2014 11:44 AM
Sefir - 17 December 2014 07:27 AM

50/50, Critter started or was introduced as a sidekick then he appeared later-on as a main character, but then at the sub-Sequel(TCC) he was again (played as) a sidekick (..right?), so as it confusing as it is, I was (feeling) I have been given the choice to decide that he is a sidekick, after-all. Grin

Well, basically he is a main character in the last part of TBoUT and (THE main character, along with Ned) in the entire TCC, but fair enough. Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I may need the definition for the word ‘sidekick’ because as I remember at TCC he ‘Critter’ hadn’t done anything ‘as playable character’ on his own, he was always just kicking in in very small parts of the puzzle solving to help Ned (for Ned’s favor), and the latter was doing the whole quest/puzzle solving all along, that is my definition for a sidekick ? .. I guess Smile
there was a part a TBoUT were he was on his own as an individual main hero/character but not at TCC (even tho the game is named by him, mainly)

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 17 December 2014 06:09 PM

I may need the definition for the word ‘sidekick’ because as I remember at TCC he ‘Critter’ hadn’t done anything ‘as playable character’ on his own, he was always just kicking in in very small parts of the puzzle solving to help Ned (for Ned’s favor), and the latter was doing the whole quest/puzzle solving all along, that is my definition for a sidekick ? .. I guess Smile
there was a part a TBoUT were he was on his own as an individual main hero/character but not at TCC (even tho the game is named by him, mainly)

Actually, if I recall correctly, in TCC almost 50% of the time you control Critter as a main character…
The other 50% of the time, you control Ned as a main character….
The playing time was almost equally split.
But anyway, you talk about TBoUT here, so that’s not the point I guess…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top