• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 24 November 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

In The Watchmaker (2001) an old Austrian castle & its grounds’ location on a ley-line make it the likeliest hiding place for a stolen device of mysterious powers & origin capable of causing global destruction when the next eclipse occurs.  Mainly a mouse driven 3rd person perspective game, with some keyboard controls, you can switch between the 2 protagonists playing as either Darrel or Victoria who have 24 hours to save the world! It’s quite a long game requiring a lot of exploration initially before starting to unravel the intricacies within what I thought was a great plot.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played partway into this one years ago. There seemed to be a lot of exploration and very little progress at first. Hotspots had dull information when you clicked. “It’s a painting.  It’s a lamp.” And the voiceovers were some of the most stilted I’ve ever heard in a game.

Did it improve if you played for a few hours?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It reminds me of a game. I’m not telling you which. Karlok, do you know what game it reminds me of?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 24 November 2014 11:36 AM

It reminds me of a game. I’m not telling you which. Karlok, do you know what game it reminds me of?

Tongue knew you’d ask… I will never tell you!!!

NEVER!

OK, it’s The Large Express.
No, sorry, that’s not it. Let me think…
I’ve got it! The Whispered Witch. Wait… no, can’t be right…

I’ll get back to you

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 24 November 2014 11:28 AM

I played partway into this one years ago. There seemed to be a lot of exploration and very little progress at first. Hotspots had dull information when you clicked. “It’s a painting.  It’s a lamp.” And the voiceovers were some of the most stilted I’ve ever heard in a game.

Did it improve if you played for a few hours?

It was a long time ago I played it now Becky but I did play it until the end & from what I can remember it had quite a slow start & took a lot of time before you could get a grip on anything to progress so yes it did improve for me after a few hours! Also the game has an interesting aspect but more about that at a later date!

I definitely agree with you about the voice-acting! - the game as far as I know was originally made in Italian & it took a while for Got Game to publish it with English voices for the NA market - for me it’s a good example of a game where subtitles would have been better than resorting to subpar ‘dubbing’ although I didn’t find all of the voices so terrible!

diego, personally I think the graphics of The Watchmaker are far inferior to certainly the consol version of Largo Winch also there is a difference in the focus of the stories - in TWM it’s more about global destruction on a more mystical level & in LW destruction of a global empire more in the real world, I think, from what I can remember or what I’ve gleaned from trying to remind myself. Out of the 2 games I found LW to be the most engaging to start with but I liked the stories of both!

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 24 November 2014 11:36 AM

I don’t know about diego, but it reminds me of GK3.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 25 November 2014 06:53 AM

Yeah, I also meant GK3, I don’t know what Karlok & chrissie are going about! Tongue Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 25 November 2014 06:57 AM
Sefir - 25 November 2014 06:53 AM

Yeah, I also meant GK3, I don’t know what Karlok & chrissie are going about! Tongue Crazy

Laughing I would agree that the graphics are a tad more similar to those in GK3!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I remember reading an article about Trecision “inspirations”: In the Dead of Night = Cruise for a Corpse, Ark of Time = Broken Sword, Nightlog = Blade Runner, The Watchmaker = Gabriel Knight 3. Good business.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 25 November 2014 01:13 PM

I remember reading an article about Trecision “inspirations”: In the Dead of Night = Cruise for a Corpse, Ark of Time = Broken Sword, Nightlog = Blade Runner, The Watchmaker = Gabriel Knight 3. Good business.

From what I can glean both Ark of Time & In the Dead of Night were actually developed by Trecision. But interesting comparisons!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Chrissie, all four were developed by Trecision. I think what Doom meant is that they leaned heavily on four earlier, better games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, also Trecision published their games shortly after those bigger companies. The article suggested they were cashing in on them. I only played Nightlong - a cop/detective mystery in a cyberpunk world, quite similar to Blade Runner. It was a nice game though.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 25 November 2014 04:33 PM

Chrissie, all four were developed by Trecision. I think what Doom meant is that they leaned heavily on four earlier, better games.

Doom - 25 November 2014 06:52 PM

Yes, also Trecision published their games shortly after those bigger companies. The article suggested they were cashing in on them. I only played Nightlong - a cop/detective mystery in a cyberpunk world, quite similar to Blade Runner. It was a nice game though.

Thanks Karlok, my brain’s not having a good week! I see what you are saying now Doom! I never thought about The Watchmaker taking it’s inspiration from GK3 but now you’ve mentioned it….! The Ark of Time’s comparison with Broken Sword is more obvious & was at the time - I enjoyed the game but no, it wasn’t as good as BS. I haven’t played any of the other games but I now find it interesting that Trecision’s success rested on better earlier games but would they have had enough time to develop them if they were inspired by them or is it a coincidence?   

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 26 November 2014 04:53 AM

I haven’t played any of the other games but I now find it interesting that Trecision’s success rested on better earlier games but would they have had enough time to develop them if they were inspired by them or is it a coincidence?

Blade Runner and Gabriel Knight took several years to develop, so they probably knew what to expect. And I think their own games were all very traditional in terms of gameplay and not too technologically advanced.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Having (re-)played almost all of Trecision’s games (except Profezia), I completely fail to see the suggested inspiration. Nightlong has a science fiction theme, ok, but it has little to do with Blade Runner (and in fact more with Beneath a Steel Sky, because of the references). And what has the story of Ark of Time (Stonehenge, Atlantis etc.) to do with Broken Sword, or Watchmaker (playing in a castle) with GK3? Of course there are always some similarities between adventures, but these are completely different games in all important aspects (story and plot, graphics and locations, characters, puzzles).
Trecision was a nice game company, a company I think that has to be admired because they published over the years quite distinct and enjoyable games. It’s sad they are gone.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

robert foster - 27 November 2014 07:01 AM

Having (re-)played almost all of Trecision’s games (except Profezia), I completely fail to see the suggested inspiration. Nightlong has a science fiction theme, ok, but it has little to do with Blade Runner (and in fact more with Beneath a Steel Sky, because of the references). And what has the story of Ark of Time (Stonehenge, Atlantis etc.) to do with Broken Sword, or Watchmaker (playing in a castle) with GK3? Of course there are always some similarities between adventures, but these are completely different games in all important aspects (story and plot, graphics and locations, characters, puzzles).
Trecision was a nice game company, a company I think that has to be admired because they published over the years quite distinct and enjoyable games. It’s sad they are gone.

Thanks Robert it’s good to see a different perspective! Certainly I thought Ark of Time was very much in the vein of Broken Sword & The Watchmaker although re-looking I can see the resemblance in graphical style to GK3 there is a big difference in the gameplay!

Doom - 25 November 2014 01:13 PM

I can see that Doom’s post comes from an article that suggests comparisons & having only played half of those games it’s interesting to read your take on the one’s I haven’t! 

asimlatif123 - 27 November 2014 08:13 AM

It is like a 3D game,In this game is availabe in free

There may be a game amongst the 8 mentioned that’s LEGALLY free - I’m not sure but certainly most of them aren’t & definitely not The Watchmaker!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top