• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

time loop adventure games

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

A time loop is a type of story where a character relives the same day over and over, like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, or Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow.
I was wondering how many adventure games are there with a similar idea?

I know of:
- Orion Burger (a cartoony 1996 game by Sanctuary Woods, probably best known for its rarity and hence value of a boxed copy, but actually also pretty fun to play)
- Randall’s Monday (a recent game from Nexus Game Studio/Daedalic, that is generally not well received in the press due to bad puzzle design)
Any other adventure games out there using this smart concept?

By the way, for other genres like action / shooters, every time the player restarts a level, it is basically a time loop. But that is not as clever as the ‘official’ groundhog day time loop Smile

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the concept, as it means a time limit and lots of replaying by default. But it sure is interesting and unexplored. One particular chapter from The Feeble Files comes to mind - the one where Feeble had to break a prison routine (followed by a daily dose of hypnoses) and make a great escape. Very Orwell-inspired.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Shadow of Destiny and Time Hollow

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

not an adventure game but.. legend of zelda majora’s mask Tongue

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Level-5’s Time Travelers (3DS/PSP/VITA, 2012) is a fairly recent one, but going into story details might spoil too much. Gameplay-wise, it’s a streamlined… well, it’s not really a novel game as it consists mostly of animated scenes, but you ‘zap’ between five protagonists, occasionally making choices that influence the flow of each storyline (which in turn also influences other storylines). Fun game, but a bit short (and it’s not released outside Japan, so that might be a bit troublesome).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Shadow of Destiny came to mind, but was already mentioned.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The DS game Flower, Sun and Rain also has a very Groundhog Day vibe to it.

The second act of Discworld qualifies as well, imo: being able to switch between last night and now, and having your actions of last night have their effect on the present…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The Last Express is sort of a “time loop” with its rewind feature.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The essence of Groundhog Day is that you relive the day and try different things until you get it right. Isn’t that the essence of every adventure game where you can die or mess things up and have to try again?

I realize this won’t sit well with many people…  Innocent

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

There’s a (free) horror game called “The Loop” that deals exactly with that. It’s kind of weird and the good puzzles are hidden among some crap ones, but it’s worth a look.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Karlok - 19 November 2014 07:02 AM

The essence of Groundhog Day is that you relive the day and try different things until you get it right. Isn’t that the essence of every adventure game where you can die or mess things up and have to try again?

I realize this won’t sit well with many people…  Innocent

This is exactly what i meant with my sentence regarding action/shooters.

Thanks for the tips BTW, i’ll try them out,if possible, on my pc Smile

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I remember that Alan Wake American Nightmare had something similar, but I can´t remember exactly. Unfortunately, because you have to revisit the same places over and over again the game was boring and much weaker than the first game.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

It’s an interesting concept as a game but I’ve yet to see it done in a way that I actually enjoyed. PS I totally agree with Karlok’s jab that this in fact is an incredibly common thing in all games where you redo stuff just because you die. Maybe this is why I so strongly dislike AG’s where I can die, because having to redo stuff frustrates the hell out of me. (though AG deaths seldom lead to a complete reset, I will admit!)

On a non game-related note. Has anyone seen the awesome german movie Lola rennt? It’s groundhog day but with way more beat. Check out the trailer if you dig “time loop” stories. (Not really a loop though? Maybe there’s a better term. “Time reset?”

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Haven’t seen Lola rennt, but I liked Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal very much.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

The first thing that came to my mind was a freeware text adventure called Spider and Web.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

theo - 20 November 2014 03:49 AM

On a non game-related note. Has anyone seen the awesome german movie Lola rennt? It’s groundhog day but with way more beat. Check out the trailer if you dig “time loop” stories. (Not really a loop though? Maybe there’s a better term. “Time reset?”

One of my favourite German movies, very unique. It always felt like an adventure game to me, with its subplots, choices and sort of puzzles. I think Tom Tykwer might be a fan.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top