• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Bringing back verbs is brilliant for adventure games, and a real progress. The verb interface is just what is needed for the stale puzzles inflicting us recently, which I attribute much blame on the dual look/use cursor removing player interactivity and thinking.

However, the retro graphics…I have no problem with them in general but wouldn’t it be a fantastic statement to have a SCUMM interface with cutting edge graphics? It would be saying we don’t have to sacrifice smart puzzles in modern looking games. Be honest guys, the idea that verbs belong in the 80s is something that many of you share. Besides, Gilbert’s The Cave looked really good.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Let’s have Oculus Rift as well. Should be great in combination with SCUMM.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So Ron Gilbert wants to go back to the ‘80s LucasArts?
A shame. LucasArts did all their best work in the ‘90s…

And seriously, the verb selector? If you want more than just look and use, then at least go to a verb coin or something.

And I agree with Karlok that those graphics look bad, even for a retro game.

I’m not holding my breath for this… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

My enjoyment of this game will hinge on how humourous it is, not on how ugly/attractive it happens to be. And I happened to like The Cave quite a bit, so I am pretty confident on Ron delivering on that front. Interface is fine by me too, but hopefully they utilise all of the verbs a lot more than the old games did.

Sounds like a great concept, and a decent length too. And easy and hard modes too. Pretty good all round if you ask me. Maybe add an alternative simpler interface for those less appreciative of the charms of Scumm and all will be well.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Well, it appears there is still love for a retro pixel art point & click game.  I think this looks like a lot of fun, and it looks like it’s really on track to getting funded.

Bt

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s difficult for me not to be cynical about this. The trailer was quite a turn off. All they’re selling is “we are going to try and recreate your childhood”.
I’m not that child anymore. In retrospective, MM was a pretty lousy game. I loved it in ‘87, but in ‘87 I was also really impressed that my friend had a monitor that could show red, so his purple tentacle was actually purple-ish.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Blackthorne - 19 November 2014 07:25 AM

Well, it appears there is still love for a retro pixel art point & click game.

Still? What do you mean, still? Just look at the number of pixelated retro games with bad animation and hard to read retro-text that have been released the past two years! All of them (with the exception of Richard and Alice) look infinitely better than Thimbleweed.

And if people really do not care how the game looks, if it’s the Ron Gilbert humor and writing that gets them excited, then there’s no reason to make it look ugly.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I’m just saying, that in this land of Hi-Res fun and sun, I’m glad there’s still love for them in the marketplace.  I know many here aren’t big fans of them, but obviously there’s enough people out there to warrant $140,000+ in one day.

You think it looks ugly, but many do not - and it’s nice to see that.  As a fan of the graphical style, I’m pleased.

Bt

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually di already suggest at the backer forum that they should do an additional HR mode for the game when and if the goal is passed. This is one of those projects that will most likley end up having triple what they’re asking, so I a move like that could be doable, depending on what other plans they have that is.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Blackthorne - 19 November 2014 08:06 AM

I’m just saying, that in this land of Hi-Res fun and sun, I’m glad there’s still love for them in the marketplace.  I know many here aren’t big fans of them,

not just “here”

but obviously there’s enough people out there to warrant $140,000+ in one day.

nothing obvious about it. Please don’t tell me somebody NOT called Ron Gilbert would be able to raise the same amount of money for the same game with the same outdated interface.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Karlok - 19 November 2014 08:21 AM

nothing obvious about it. Please don’t tell me somebody NOT called Ron Gilbert would be able to raise the same amount of money for the same game with the same outdated interface.

QFT

This whole project actually underlines it pretty nicely how important name recognition is in KS. Had this been a project of beginner game developer Don Jon from Sheepluv New Zeland it would have about a grand right now.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

tomimt - 19 November 2014 08:25 AM
Karlok - 19 November 2014 08:21 AM

QFT

This whole project actually underlines it pretty nicely how important name recognition is in KS. Had this been a project of beginner game developer Don Jon from Sheepluv New Zeland it would have about a grand right now.

Yep, you can’t deny that.  Name recognition does play a large role.  I do like the graphical style, though, personally.

Bt

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 18 November 2014 04:52 PM

But those screenshots are some of the worst I’ve seen in recent years, and I’ve played quite a few retro adventures.

TimovieMan - 19 November 2014 06:38 AM

And I agree with Karlok that those graphics look bad, even for a retro game.

I warned you. Tongue

Still, the humor, the easy-going… of Gilbert will probably be enough for it to be a success.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 19 November 2014 08:07 AM

I actually di already suggest at the backer forum that they should do an additional HR mode for the game when and if the goal is passed. This is one of those projects that will most likley end up having triple what they’re asking, so I a move like that could be doable, depending on what other plans they have that is.

Full voiceacting for each character is confirmed or is it for lead characters, or nothing at all??

Didn’t play The Cave but Deathspank humor was good enough for me, i hope he gets the same level here (though DS was actually written by someone else under Ron’s supervision).

Annd the story indeed give vibes of satirical take on Twin Peaks as someone at NeoGaf pointed.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m out. I might get the game for cheap on a sale if it turns out good, but the graphics are a huge turn-off for me. I like pixel art in some cases, but definitely not in this one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top