• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Deponia is now my fave but 2nd would be Chains of Satinav even though I found it only ‘pretty good’ and not ‘great’. It’s a good sign when the latest two releases of a company are the best, I was about to give up on Daedelic after being disappointed by Whispered World and very disappointed by A New Beginning. Deponia was the biggest surprise of the year, and should make my top 2 or 3 the way the year has turned out so far (not very well).

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i added a poll to the Topic which i thought it would add to the discussion , kindly please make your vote a give a comment about it .

i chosen Deponia not because it is the best as its hard to tell (i see it will be hard make a big difference between their products as they all good in a way) but for seeing that its had best updated of their production (of elements ,and features) so far, it doesn’t have the bad animations as with TWW and TDE and E&H and doesn’t have the story disappoint as with ANB and it is the only one so far that can be called light with humor which was always the main feature behind Lucas’s and Tim’s Games Success in that so called Golden Age of Adventures.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I voted for TWW. I found its graphics superior to all others (yes, even to TDE), its music theme awsome, its main character much more likeable than all the others from Daedelic games, the same goes for the villains (I loved the voice of Loucaux), the story twist at the finale an amazing one. It is a “dark fairy tale”, one that starts as a humorous childs story and becomes really serious near the end, as the main character becomes more mature through its experiences. Mind though, I found the humour in TWW much more to my taste than the one in Deponia. Oh! and of course, Spot. One of the most likeable characters ever and perhaps the most useful sidekick in the history of adventure gaming since his shapeshifting abilities offered a new dimension in riddle solving. In general, I believe that TWW has some major unique characteristics in it and this is just as great an achievement as any other.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2006-10-23

PM

New Daedalic adventure announced: The Rabbit’s Apprentice

http://www.rabbitsapprentice.de/

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

they don’t lose any time do they?again it looks amazing.you have to at least admit that they have great artists.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

They release at least two quality games a year!!! It is surprising
a) Where do they find the money to do it  
b) Their working rate
c) Despite all these, they manage to retain (and sometimes improve) the quality of their games…

BTW, The Rabbit’s Apprentice seems really cute!!

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i don’t know.supposedly Satinav got to Steam with DRM because of money problems.
who knows maybe they’ve found a good way to organise work and do it faster.unless they got a backer.who knows…..

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think its not a secret or something ! ;but the German Market itself (for adventure games) is enough for the Success of any Adventure, and when they Go on globally it is always just for remaining and continuing (their Success) !

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

There no need for new thread to say that Daedalic Entertainment is writing a new future for Adventure Gaming.

From 1 Game at 2010 The Whispered World and,
2 games 2011 A New Beginning ,Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
to 4 at 2012 Deponia 1 & 2!!! and Harvey’s New Eyes plus Chains of Satinav
and now 4 adventures expected this year
Memoria
1954: Alcatraz
Night of the Rabbit
Goodbye Deponia

Daedalic is the best thing that happened for adventure gaming in a Long time !

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d actually be a bit sad, if Daedalic would be the standard for future adventures. While their games are nice, they still have some issues I don’t like. They still tend to use at places those old, unintuitive adventure puzzles, that break the game flow or need very illogical thinking to be solved. and their choises for english voice actors are at places very odd. I really was annoyed with the main actors in Deponia and Whispered world.

Does Daedalic have a change to become a great adventure game company? Yes, but they’re not there yet. They need to do some thinking on do they really want to be a throw off company towards old, cliched adventure genre, or do they want to improve the genre.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Advie - 04 May 2013 05:12 AM

I agree. I’m a sucker for hand drawn art in games, and few companies does it with such expertise and attention to detail as Daedalic. My hat’s off to their artists (I don’t wear hats, but if I did wear one, I’d take it off, and consequently still be hatless).

I hope they will be around for many years to come, and judging by their workflow we will have loads of beatiful adventures to look forward to. I’ve said it before, but I believe that Deadalic is the closest thing you can find to a modern day equivalent to Lucasarts. That’s not to say that they’re quite up there in terms of quality, because they are not. Yet. But I think they may get there, or close, some day.

The one department where I feel there’s a potential for significant improvement, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, would be the voice acting in their English releases. I hope their success will enable them to afford higher class actors in the future, or getting a director who inspires the actors to actually ACT. I will never forget the scene in A New Beginning, where Faye realizes that every human being she’s ever known and loved is dead, and when she utters the words “oh no, they’re all dead” she sounds more bored than a stuffed deer head on a wall. That’s not to say that all of their voice acting is bad, as I thought Kerry Shale, who voiced Rufus and Cletus in Deponia, did a very good job, well suited to Rufus’ personality.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 04 May 2013 08:22 AM
Advie - 04 May 2013 05:12 AM

I agree. I’m a sucker for hand drawn art in games, and few companies does it with such expertise and attention to detail as Daedalic. My hat’s off to their artists (I don’t wear hats, but if I did wear one, I’d take it off, and consequently still be hatless)....

I agree, they might not have made a game yet, that can make it to the very top of the top 100 list, but they both make many games like good old Sierra, and their games is of a consistent high quality.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

For me the most important aspect of adventure games is the writing, and Daedalic is nothing to write home about in that department (accidental pun). Their stories are “good for a videogame”, but that’s not saying much. Whereas the stories in games like Day of the Tentacle and Gabriel Knight were great... period.

I don’t mind Daedalic really, I think they deserve some level of praise… but I guess I just take offense to comparing them with the all-time greats. They’re not even close IMO.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

AstroChicken - 04 June 2013 08:04 PM

but I guess I just take offense to comparing them with the all-time greats. They’re not even close IMO.

right.. but they are what we got !

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

AstroChicken - 04 June 2013 08:04 PM

For me the most important aspect of adventure games is the writing, and Daedalic is nothing to write home about in that department (accidental pun). Their stories are “good for a videogame”, but that’s not saying much.

Gasp

I can only assume that you never played The Whispered World or Chains of Satinav.

EDIT: Given the amount of quality games Daedelic produces each year, the poll is perhaps not that representative any more…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top