• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgottenIronCretinrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 13 November 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A third unforgettable memory.  Playing Riven late at night. Lights off, headphones on. I kept calling the fascinating big fish, not because I understood the magic of the number five or the reason why it responded to the red light, but because I could. And then BAM! fishie slammed itself against the glass. I jumped in my chair.  Thumbs Up

A fourth unforgettable memory. The moment four or five visual clues come together and I understood the connection between the whark, Gehn, the round platform in the lake, the chair high up, the teaching device in the school, the prisoner. Myst-haters often complain about the lack of a story or the many diaries they have to read. But these non-verbal clues are great story-telling. 

Bonus: Gehn singing in one of the easter eggs. I would upload a screenshot if I could, but imgur is giving me trouble.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Yes, pissing off the Wahrk was a great memory indeed (I could have sworn that it was posted in a screenshot here before by Kuru or Bastich, but apparently I was wrong).

There are many more beautiful memories, like the discovery of the village, the “Battle of wits” against Gehn, etc. Perhaps the entire game is an unforgettable memory…

Thank you Karlok for this wonderfull 3-day memory reminder of Riven! Smile 

Karlok - 13 November 2014 05:34 AM

Myst-haters often complain about the lack of a story or the many diaries they have to read. But these non-verbal clues are great story-telling.

I admit that Gehn’s handwritting in his diary (lab, crater island) is almost impossible to read!!

EDIT: Best Easter Egg ever.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, playing with a whark can be dangerous.  I remember being thankful that the glass between us was thick.

Gehn’s writing wasn’t bad compared to Catherine’s.

One of the strangest moments for me was seeing Gehn’s face in the room next to the first mag-lev car.  I had turned back after looking around outside and there he was.  Afterwards I wondered if he had been sitting in the spider chair, watching me fumble around.  (I also enjoyed lighting up that room for Christmas as part of the Easter egg hunt in a later playthrough.)

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

whale + shark = whark shale

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 13 November 2014 09:51 AM

One of the strangest moments for me was seeing Gehn’s face in the room next to the first mag-lev car.  I had turned back after looking around outside and there he was.  Afterwards I wondered if he had been sitting in the spider chair, watching me fumble around.

He must have been. Gehn likes to see what people are up to. Smile

(I also enjoyed lighting up that room for Christmas as part of the Easter egg hunt in a later playthrough.)

Kurufinwe used that one in his AGSotDs. See here.

zobraks - 13 November 2014 10:06 AM

whale + shark = whark shale

Nah. Whark sounds strong and active. Shale sounds like a shallow shell.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 13 November 2014 10:37 AM

Whark sounds strong and active. Shale sounds like a shallow shell.

Whark is too serious and boring, shale is flippant and flamboyant (and I love flippancy and flamboyance).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

How is Ipad version of Riven?

Good conversion or like Myst DS?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Is it Wahrk or Whark?

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Watson (RAWA) spells it wahrk on his home page, but it seems that both spellings appear in the in-game journals.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 13 November 2014 03:42 PM

Is it Wahrk or Whark?

The manatee.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I think it’s “whark” because it gives the sense of “whack” but with the sharpness of the ‘r’ substituting for the nonessential ‘c.’

Approaching the throne device where you observe the whark is another fantastic memory. And the pool lined with the giant tusks. And the music you hear in Gehn’s personal hideaway.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top