• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 11 November 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Warning for Myst-haters: The next three days will be devoted to Riven.

Myst was groundbreaking.  Myst was magic. Stunningly gorgeous islands to explore. A new kind of puzzles to solve. Novel and also subtle, visual ways of telling a story. In those days I knew a lot of other gamers and everybody was talking about Myst. Heated discussions about the two unheard-of endings.

And then there was the long wait for Riven. A friend in the computer business got me a copy two days before it hit the shelves. Kiss Never again will I feel the same excitement over a game that I felt when I finally had the beautiful box in my hands. I knew what to expect this time, but Riven gave me so much more.  It is a masterpiece.

So here is the very first breathtaking ride over the waters of Riven. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

I simply can’t bring myself to play Myst type of games.I don’t know why is that, but is this makes me a hater? Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

If the Myst-hater shoe doesn’t fit, don’t wear it.  Smile

But I’m not buying your “I don’t know why”. Of course you do. It’s that moment when you feel irritated or bored or start thinking about to-do lists, food, work. I used to force myself to finish the game when that happened. Not anymore.

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

You’re Probably Right. Confused

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t want to be right.  Cry
I’d rather have a nice discussion about what turns you off Mystian games.  Cool

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

I only tried to play original Myst, back in 1994, for about half an hour or so.I really don’t remember much.There must be something that makes me run away and never look back.
I’m not a fan of the 1st person adventures, maybe this could be a reason…

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

There are people who believe Myst is not a game at all. I remember I used to read PC Gamer when I didn’t know sh diddly-squat about games and some jerks reviewers there badmouthed Myst with a vengeance.

When I started playing realMyst in 2005 I just couldn’t stop.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

3 days devoted to the game I love the most??
That’s great!!!
Smile

Sincerely, Riven has nothing to do with Myst in terms of quality. I understand all those who hated the first game (though I don’t share these feelings) and decided not to play any other game of the series. A great, great mistake. I trully believe that, even now, Riven is the best game ever created. It’s world is something trully remarkable. When you play it, you get sucked by the world, and no other game managed to succed that so much, even newer ones like Ethan Carter, etc. The details are simply astounishing and it is still unbelievable that great graphics and world design were created almost 16 years ago. I also love its riddles and the way they were perfectly logical according to the world and the story, though I understand that their difficulty or the explore first-solve later way of the game are not for everyone. Finally, I still own the Riven Soundtrack, one of the best ever made in adventure gaming IMHO….
This ride is memorable mostly because it is the first one. I believe that you will include Riven’s actual best ride in the next days…. Wink

P.S. I own 3 different copies of the game. One with a brown, multi cd brown case with the Riven No for 5 in the front and a golden beetle in the back, another one with seperate hard-paper cases for each cd, with images in front of them based on the story of the Gehn as shown in the rotating room and the DVD one. Are there any more?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 11 November 2014 10:47 AM

3 days devoted to the game I love the most??
That’s great!!!
Smile

I knew some people here would be pleased. Smile

This ride is memorable mostly because it is the first one. I believe that you will include Riven’s actual best ride in the next days…. Wink

Eh… I don’t know which ride you consider best, but no, I won’t. I have only three days and Riven has enough memorable moments to keep me busy for a month. It would be great if you could add a pic of your own!

I don’t know if there are other versions, I only have the original first release and the DVD. Have you checked the many fan sites?

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 11 November 2014 11:25 AM

I don’t know which ride you consider best…

The Jungle Island - Crater Island route!!  Laughing

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just checked my game database, and Riven was the second game I ever purchased, along with Connections, in December of 1999, and it was the 3rd game I ever played.  I didn’t get Myst (the Masterpiece edition) until the following summer.

Yes, there are many memorable moments in Riven, and those rides still thrill me.  The puzzles are complex but fair, and the story unfolds slowly and in tantalizing bits.  I’ve heard detractors say that there is no story, but I suspect that they just didn’t stay with it long enough to find it.  It’s a game I’ve replayed several times and will do so again.

By the way, even finding the Easter eggs in the game is a challenge but great fun.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Karlok, the first time I took that ride my was probably the most awe-inspiring moment in my gaming life. Though I’ve had many great experiences in games throughout the years, it has been hard for me to duplicate that same feeling ever since.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I posted this my-tribute-for-Myst/Riven before, but here we go again .

Its one of the greatest memories I had with adventure gaming, but never could have been able to get myself into replying and finishing it again, nothing can match its first time awe, uh ..great memories for Riven, I remember it took me 2-3 months to finish it back then.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Here’s what some PC Gamer sh*thead wrote about Riven:

Argh! It’s Myst all over again! Only worse because this peace of filth came three years later and changed… nothing! Three years and no change? That’s criminal. Unforgivable. If you buy this we will personally come over to your house and pluck out your eyeballs with a large fish-hook.

(a quote from PC Gamer #50, collected in “The Ultimate Guide to PC Games”, Future Publishing & Virgin, 2003 )

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

zobraks - 12 November 2014 02:30 AM

Argh! It’s Myst all over again! Only worse because this peace of filth came three years later and changed… nothing! Three years and no change? That’s criminal. Unforgivable. If you buy this we will personally come over to your house and pluck out your eyeballs with a large fish-hook.

(a quote from PC Gamer #50, collected in “The Ultimate Guide to PC Games”, Future Publishing & Virgin, 2003 )

Wow, that’s just stupid. Even more in hindsight. Myst changed everything, and then Riven changed it again.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 12 November 2014 02:30 AM

OH. MY.  GOD!!!

Stupidity in plain sight…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top