• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter Concerns

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-12-19

PM

I gave a significant amount of money to the Kickstarter projects for Tex Murphy, SpaceVenture, Infamous Quest, and Dead State (an RPG).  I also gave money to Jane Jensen’s CSG after her Kickstarter had already ended (I gave via the Pinkerton Road website).

A couple of these have raised some concern.  I received an e-mail from the SpaceVenture project with a password to sign into a rewards site for backers.  The password did not work.  I sent an e-mail about a month ago questioning this, and never got a response.  I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a ripoff scheme hatched by “The Two Guys”.

And although I received an e-mail receipt from PayPal for my contribution to Jane Jensen’s CSG, I never received any response at all from Pinkerton Road.  You’d think a $250 contribution would at least get a word of thanks.

The other developers have already sent reward surveys, or at least regular updates.  I hope none of these Kickstarters turn out to be scams, but Jackal warned us of this possibility in his recent article.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I’m a SpaceVenture backer and haven’t received any e-mails about their new forum.

As for Jane’s CSG, I’ll PM you the CSG manager’s e-mail.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Whoa, now, just to be clear, I didn’t say any of them might be scams.  I just said they might have trouble delivering what they promised, when they promised.  I can definitely see customer service issues being among the first things to suffer, but I can say with near-certainty that all of the major Kickstarters covered here are absolutely legit.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i haven’t received mails from The space venture project also, but i am not worried at all, its hard for names like Ken and Roberta , one a big backer and one is big a supporter to put (after all those years of silence toward Adventure Gaming) their words,(can not say hands) into sumthin hazy .

we can never know what is happening behind the scenes for all those Kickstarer Projects.

Established self funded developers even have always publishing and production issues, nevertheless they can delay their projects for years sometimes, so wouldn’t worry about the final result of those kickstarters but it can take sometime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://svrewards.com/

I didn’t back it so I don’t know I would image they would stagger the release of log-ins to allow them to get through them.

I doubt any of those projects are scams, but they are still small independant projects with little manpower so delays are to be expected.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Regarding the Pinkerton Road CSG - I sent this thread to Jane and she tried to respond but is having trouble logging in. Here’s what she said:

There have been several mailings that went out to all Kickstarter and PayPal backers. PayPal backers receive the updates via email. If you didn’t get the emails, please contact csg_service@pinkertonroad.com and supply the name/email that you used when signing up with PayPal. They will help you figure out why you’re not receiving the updates.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m still waiting for some swag that DoubleFine said they sent out… a t-shirt or something.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-07-24

PM

I too have concerns about this. For example the Tex Murphy KS is supposed to include downloads of the old games via GOG for most tiers. You’d think they have already sent those out so maybe backers who haven’t played the games yet could do so. And yes there are some of us who haven’t as I contributed without ever having played the previous titles…

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lupin The Third - 30 July 2012 12:49 AM

I too have concerns about this. For example the Tex Murphy KS is supposed to include downloads of the old games via GOG for most tiers. You’d think they have already sent those out so maybe backers who haven’t played the games yet could do so. And yes there are some of us who haven’t as I contributed without ever having played the previous titles…

If you had bothered to check the Kickstarter page for Project Fedora you’ll see, quite clearly stated, that the expected delivery date is December 2012 for these. We are in which month of 2012? I don’t doubt that BFG would like to get these items done and dusted as early as possible (their website states that the Wallpaper pack will be the first reward to be available) but, they haven’t passed the estimated delivery date yet.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

thejobloshow - 29 July 2012 10:56 PM

I’m still waiting for some swag that DoubleFine said they sent out… a t-shirt or something.

I actually just got my t-shirt and poster last week. I also got an e-mail about 2 weeks before telling me my rewards have been sent out. Did you try contacting doublefine? When I contacted them to make sure my address is correct they responded pretty much immediately.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

For the record, I haven’t received my Double Fine rewards yet, either.

I used to handle customer service at Telltale and when the season DVDs went out to season customers (a big preorder) it was a customer service nightmare. The groups of people receiving these rewards are comparable to (or, in the case of Double Fine, a lot bigger even than) those mailings so I can only imagine the amount of work that’s going into making sure it goes smoothly. Part of me wants to email Double Fine for the status and part of me doesn’t want to bother them, since they’re probably staggering the shipments…

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The people from Fangamers have been giving updates in this thread in the Double Fine backer forums.

The latest update (dated July 20th) says:

Hey folks! We’ll be shipping out the Double Fine Kickstarter backer rewards all throughout July and August, so you can expect your package to be shipped off within the next several weeks. We’re sending out batches of about 400 shirts/posters each day based on shirt size. We’ve already gone through all of the Women’s sizes and Unisex Smalls, and we’re currently working our way through the Larges. After we completely finish shipping the Large shirts, we’ll move onto the Mediums, and then XLs, 2Xs, 3Xs, and so on. Thank you very much for your patience, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hmm… seeing as mine was a women’s size, maybe I should contact them. Meh

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-12-19

PM

Jackal - 29 July 2012 01:59 PM

Whoa, now, just to be clear, I didn’t say any of them might be scams.  I just said they might have trouble delivering what they promised, when they promised.  I can definitely see customer service issues being among the first things to suffer, but I can say with near-certainty that all of the major Kickstarters covered here are absolutely legit.

Sorry, Jackal.  I did put words in your mouth that do not reflect what you actually said.  I got a bit carried away with my reaction to my concerns about what I feel is being left in the dark as a contributor.  Again, I sincerely apologize.

I work for a medium sized insurance company (as a mainframe programmer) and know that customer disatisfaction can be harmful to the business if claims aren’t handled quickly and billing questions aren’t addressed immediately.  Since the developers I raised concerns about are experienced industry people, I apparently set my expectations too high for such small teams.  I guess I just need to be more patient.

I’m glad to hear that Double Fine has already started coming through with their promises, but that is not one of the Kickstarters I donated to.  I wasn’t expecting delivery of anything yet from the ones I gave to, but being supplied an invalid password and no response to questions regarding it does not instill much confidence.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2008-07-24

PM

Jabod - 30 July 2012 08:58 AM

If you had bothered to check the Kickstarter page for Project Fedora you’ll see, quite clearly stated, that the expected delivery date is December 2012 for these. We are in which month of 2012? I don’t doubt that BFG would like to get these items done and dusted as early as possible (their website states that the Wallpaper pack will be the first reward to be available) but, they haven’t passed the estimated delivery date yet.

And if you bothered to read my post you’d see I was referring to the DIGITAL VERSIONS OF OLD GAMES SITTING AROUND OVER ON GOG….so thanks for being an a$$hat and not paying attention!

And obviously my post got someone’s attention as they sent an e-mail to supporters today about this specific thing. Furthermore do we actually have to wait till December to get the download links for the freebie Big Finish games (3 Cards to Midnight, etc) that are once again just sitting around on a server? No. The December (or later as we all know it will actually be) date made sense for the game and products that had to be manufactured, not for stuff sitting around on a server that people are merely waiting on a download link or code to access.

Yes you can stipulate that they never promised anything until December but given that they’ve already pushed the game past then it seems silly for supporters to not have access to all the currently existing digital content promised in the reward tiers. But then if they (or any of the KS projects) never even finish the game and don’t ship us anything ever there’s absolutely no repercussions which is what makes people worry when something as readily available as a GOG.com download is made available yet.

Now to be perfectly clear I’m not claiming that anyone is going to run off to the Bahamas with our money or anything like that and most of the kickstarters are proven devs with a pedigree and track record to be proud of. But this whole KS process seems to have been very sloppily handled across the board. And yes I understand that this is an exciting new possibility for ags with some kinks to work out, but if we don’t point them out they won’t be addressed.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lupin The Third - 31 July 2012 01:29 AM

[
And if you bothered to read my post you’d see I was referring to the DIGITAL VERSIONS OF OLD GAMES SITTING AROUND OVER ON GOG….so thanks for being an a$$hat and not paying attention!

And obviously my post got someone’s attention as they sent an e-mail to supporters today about this specific thing. Furthermore do we actually have to wait till December to get the download links for the freebie Big Finish games (3 Cards to Midnight, etc) that are once again just sitting around on a server? No. The December (or later as we all know it will actually be) date made sense for the game and products that had to be manufactured, not for stuff sitting around on a server that people are merely waiting on a download link or code to access.

Yes you can stipulate that they never promised anything until December but given that they’ve already pushed the game past then it seems silly for supporters to not have access to all the currently existing digital content promised in the reward tiers. But then if they (or any of the KS projects) never even finish the game and don’t ship us anything ever there’s absolutely no repercussions which is what makes people worry when something as readily available as a GOG.com download is made available yet.

Now to be perfectly clear I’m not claiming that anyone is going to run off to the Bahamas with our money or anything like that and most of the kickstarters are proven devs with a pedigree and track record to be proud of. But this whole KS process seems to have been very sloppily handled across the board. And yes I understand that this is an exciting new possibility for ags with some kinks to work out, but if we don’t point them out they won’t be addressed.

Good grief! Personal abuse. Whatever next. I could do that as well, and I think I’d do it rather better than yourself, without any swearing, but I’d rather stick by posting rules if it’s all the same to you.
As it happens, I was paying attention and I was referring to the GOG games. Perhaps your comprehension skills aren’t as good as you think they are? Regardless of what you want, the reward to download the GOG game(s) of your choice is clearly stated as having an estimated delivery date of December 2012. BFG, I suspect, (I’m nothing whatsoever to do with the company) were aware of, or at least taking precautions against, possible delays in setting up the distribution /access to these games for the reward holders.
A good job too because, although this will not (hopefully) take them past December 2012, GOG changed the rules after the fact in how to access and download the games for the reward holders.
In your overweening arrogance you seem to think that it was your post above that caused the BFG e-mail to be sent out. I hope that this does not send you on a hissy fit, throwing your toys everywhere, but I’m going to have to disappoint you somewhat. The proposal for the survey, and the reason why, that has just been sent out, was posted to the BFG website some time ago - it has nothing to do with you at all. Perhaps, instead, of firing off vitriolic missives, your time might be better spent in checking the main web site of BFG? It’s amazing what you might find you know.
It would appear also that I, at least (and many more I suspect out of the near 9,000 backers), are a little more patient and tolerant than you would seem to be. I certainly do not agree with your ascertation that the KS was sloppily handled. Perfectly done? Of course not. Who is perfect? Not you nor I, that is for certain. However, overall I think BFG did/are doing a pretty fair job for a small company.
Final suggestion for you. Constructive criticism is always welcome so why don’t you go to the BFG website and use the contact facility to pass on your thoughts directly to them. Not the forums, though of course you’re free to do so there as well, but the direct link to BFG.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top