• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The thread poll had been reset

TimovieMan - 07 June 2013 06:46 PM

With the recent release of The Rabbit’s Apprentice The Night of the Rabbit, it was time to “reset” the poll in this thread, especially since Chaos on Deponia wasn’t included before, and two “minor” Daedalic games weren’t all that relevant anymore (especially since one was a HOG).

The results before the reset of the poll were:
- The Whispered World - 10 votes
- Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - 8 votes
- A New Beginning - 6 votes
- The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - 4 votes
- Deponia - 4 votes
- Harvey’s New Eyes - 0 votes
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet - 0 votes
- 1 1/2 Ritter - 0 votes

————————————————————————————————————————————————
call it a glimpse of hope, and ghost of the past, a middle established developer that gets more established with each new release, call it the company that feeds our nostalgia for LucasArts and Sierra’s, say its maintaining a modest standard and still haven’t reached the optimum you’d love to see but yet its going there,
call Daedalic anything, but failure !

why/what i think we should discuss this developer in particular:

1-It had in a short time proven trustworthy for the Adventure’ players, like before when we used to buy Adventures, only because those Logos of LucasArts or Sierra stamped or shining (I would say) on their boxes, and Daedalic kinda established this idea ..of trust.

2-I always believed its unfair to call an AG just a game, because an Adventure tends to be more serious than just that; educational materiel, your own controlled Movie, a novel (graphic) with some fitting Soundtrack/music, and they (Daedalic) got all these very well developed, and giving them at their best .

3-They still going/playing on that imaginary perspective, all Classics (or Almost) have bloomed by. and yea, at some point along the way people gotten more or less attracted by adventures that shows the normal/real life without repetitiveness of fairy tales and fantasies, but that is-to/will remain an exception, however; how many ags given were like this, anyway?!.

4-It still tends to play on the most famous theme of Adventuring; that social Loser who yet to be proven to be Hero. Which’s had created the most famous ags and characters of the genre (Guybrush, Larry, Wilco..etc) we love and crave for.

The Whispered World : an unworthy Clown who saves the world
A New Beginning: a lost scientist with a broken Home and Family Proven to be able to get back his life and try to Save the world.
Edna The Breakout: a Loony girl whose proven sanity more than those who claim her insanity .
Chains of Satinav: a bad Omen a Man who proven to be the chosen one by nature.
Deponia: a loser who has much more than whats everyone imagines up his sleeves.

But still I would love to see Daedalic giving more beside these imaginary themes (adding some kind on variations) for more real world/life themes, such as Gabriel Knight, DotT (yea, even if in a cartoony way).... because that theme had always proven nicely successful .Sierra and LucasArts always gave these kinds. I crave to see cars and just houses/buildings and characters in normal outfits/clothes too, i don’t know, and not sure too but the upcoming 1954: Alcatraz, may seem like it could fulfill that empty space.

5- We gotta admit it The Germans has it (conquered the genre, I mean ) by now, and the US is into just what selling their copies ,the Germans and above all Daedalic are/is becoming the best(just saying) of any established ags German developer around the world, which makes it ‘the best of the best’, they seem so far caring about the ‘core’ of the genre, and luckily they also developed a good market for themselves ‘inside Germany’  they can to rely on it for financing their projects as a least safe ground to help themselves of any commercial failure.

6-They/It Know how provide that classic’s output with always new and modern features and controls, like at Deponia it has this mouse wheel usage of hotspot revealer; you can set back relax use only mouse all the way ,with no need for Keyboard at all, even with the some other features also at the game.

Ok, i am not starting this thread to just praise Daedalic ,i had to say my positives about it which could make it worth our time of discussion, and i didn’t bring up their cons and negatives which are existing, no doubt!... but i see hope with their improvement in developments , and that is something anyone who is following Daedalic can figure out, and enough to let anyone forget about the bad(s) while believing Daedalic is already working on them/it.

That what i have to say about Daedalic at the moment what have you got ?

P.S: I don’t know Really if I should to refer to Daedalic or any (developer) with It or They, so please excuse me at this as I am sure it would confuses any reader.

Thanks

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

well, hate to be on the pessimistic side of the things but for me daedalic will always stay for good games and nothing more than that. they made their own standard, I agree. and they would never go below it. But for me this standard is above mediocre and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong. I like their games especially now when they are one of the few hardworking studios. But I hardly imagine myself to love one of their games. They just lack some of the qualities my favorite adventures have. And as I see their workflow they don’t intend to add them at all in future. Some examples: 1. I don’t find their games mature enough. I don’t know why, maybe it’s the humor and writing. Maybe it’s the themes they are choosing but I believe the story of their games as much as I would believe a cartoon for a 12year-old. 2. I’ve never liked the protagonist (except for Edna). Enough with this loser-wannabe-hero thing. It’s so overused. 3. I’m sensing kind of downgrade in their workflow (after very good edna&harvey; and whispered world)
Phew, that maybe sounded like I hate those games Smile but it’s not like that. I’m just saying that they still need to polish some things. And if they try they may turn someday into the studio I’d like them to be. But for now they deserve praise mainly for the visual masterpieces they make, and that’s why I’m playing their games.

p.s. I’m somehow excluding Edna&Harvey; from my general opinion about daedalic.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I think I agree with advie for the most of his post. I believe that Daedelic has very high standards, especially considering the rate they release games over the past few years. Yes, I dare say that I LOVE many of their games, especially the Whispered World (which I consider a GREAT one, one of my best 10 ag of all time) and Deponia. They pay great attention to graphics, amazing music themes, good riddles and great gameplay in general. The only thing that someone could say against Daedelic is that they seem focused on 2D adventures (I personaly like that), and sometimes the actors voices could be of better quality in english versions (again, I personally like them). Their only adventure I didn’t like so much was Edna and Harvey, but that makes only 1 out of 5. I don’t know if Daedelic will become great and famous ala Lucas Arts and Sierra because that means a good number of quality games need to be released in the future. They need time and most of all, money….I wish them good luck. Waiting for Deponia 2.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’ve played two Daedalic games A New Beginning which I really disliked and The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav which I absolutely adore. (though admittedly it has its flaws) So I’m kinda conflicted when it concerns Daedalic but if they continue the style of TDE then Daedalic might become one of my favorite developers.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Whispered world and E&H are both very special games that deserve praise as unique classics. They have flaws, but are unforgettable adventures nevertheless. A new beginning i just didnt like at all. I didnt finish it so maybe it gets better.. but the story, the voice acting, the puzzles, i was turned off by everything. Chains of satinav was quite good.. i didnt like it as much as whispered world, but they did many things right and its definitely a solid game.
For me, there just arent any other recent developers that have shown this much promise with intense creativity and quality. (wadjet eye is getting very close)

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Daedalic is worthy of its name (named after the ancient Greek artist, inventor and architect Daedalus, who according to myth designed the labyrinth as well as wings made from feathers and wax. These elements are found in the company logo, and are reflected in the corporate philosophy of perfecting the art and craft of game design)and only getting better, i cant see any negative thing about on their projects .I’m sure they’ll put their best on upcoming title too.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I played two Daedalic AGs: The Whispered World and A New Beginning. I have mixed feelings about the last one. It has some very good things, like the background story of Ben the scientist, and the way the game shows his utter disappointment (or should I say devastation?) when he sees his life’s work is squandered. But I think the ending was very made-up and it spoiled the game for me. The Whispered World was quite fun to play, although the ending was a bit weird too. I’m quite interested in Chains of Satinav. I just hope Daedalic makes sure not to fly too close to the sun like Cyan did.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Daedalic is definitely what I consider a modern company which is “carefully” designing their games. What I love about it is how they try to blend “old school” with modern trends.

I’m 100% that one of the biggest reasons why games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey… are considered the best - is because LOVE put to their design shows. Sure, there’s nothing uncommon in designers loving their games, but one can suspect Daedalic guys really put passion to it by watching behind the scenes videos, reading manuals… and judging by the fact that all their games got a rich boxed releases with maps, posters…

Now, I’ve played only The Whispered World & A New Beginning. It is true that TWW is better game, but ANB is still above average. Also, let’s not forget that TWW is Marco Hullen’s child as well, and it’s a good news that he’s back in Daedalic (they also hired Matthias Kempke of “What Makes You Tick” series fame), as they announced two more games for 2012. And it would be a nice thing if they decide to complete another Marco’s project - Limbus

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

What I have played of Whispered world I have liked, but haven’t played any of the others.

I do here a lot of good things said about their games so good for them. Far too early to put them in the classic adventure developer catagory yet though.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

We could have the same discussion about Kheops. They maintian a very consistent high quality in all their games, haven’t been around very long yet (8 years or so), and are also successful.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

tsa - 29 July 2012 03:21 PM

We could have the same discussion about Kheops. They maintian a very consistent high quality in all their games, haven’t been around very long yet (8 years or so), and are also successful.

They have slowed down recently. Working on casual HOG games “The Fall Trilogy” which is the only thing they have put out in about 4 years.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’m with gabe and advie on this.but i have to add one more thing to the pool of positives for Daedalic.The graphics they produce are mostly hand drawn.personally i don’t know many other companies that release games with hand drawn style.

Imho at this point in time we have one of the best balances over styles in games out there.we have daedalic with hand drawn 2D,we have wadjet eye going for retro 2D,we have telltale with episodic games and sometimes casual.we have jonathan boakes and senscape going for first person and slideshow.we have animation arts and pendulo for 2.5D with 3D models.in 3D we have quantic dream,future games,centauri production and wizardbox for 3D.
this way we get many different styles of AGs at the same time.not like the old days where everything was 2D with verb buttons and inventory.i only wish this will continue so and i won’t get to see any of the above or those unmentioned close up shop.

EDIT:@diego…are there no news about Limbo?It was very interesting..so much so it would be a shame if it were not to be made.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lucien21 - 29 July 2012 03:12 PM

I do here a lot of good things said about their games so good for them. Far too early to put them in the classic adventure developer category yet though.

Sure, but they made 6 or 7 games, and neither of those were labeled as BAD, but above average. That’s still an achievement.

jhetfield21 - 29 July 2012 03:30 PM

are there no news about Limbo?It was very interesting..so much so it would be a shame if it were not to be made.

Daedalic announced two more games for this year, along with couple of them for 2013. They’re not saying what it is, but Marco is working on those so there might be something. They’re also doing one RPG title.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

before i hit the the bed ,i wanted give a little overlook through the previous Posts considering the subject (Daedalic’s Achievements,evaluating their current state/standard and the expected future of the company)

badlemon - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

well, hate to be on the pessimistic side of the things but for me daedalic will always stay for good games and nothing more than that.  I’m just saying that they still need to polish some things. And if they try they may turn someday into the studio I’d like them to be.
p.s. I’m somehow excluding Edna&Harvey;; from my general opinion about daedalic.

Sefir - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

.. I believe that Daedelic has very high standards.... Their only adventure I didn’t like so much was Edna and Harvey, but that makes only 1 out of 5. I don’t know if Daedelic will become great and famous ala Lucas Arts and Sierra because that means a good number of quality games need to be released in the future

2 totally different opinions about the perception for Edna and Harvey  and also the Daedalic’s current standard but as for its Future badlemon and Sefir has seem to have the same optimistic (hope) but a with very little certainty

gray pierce - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

A New Beginning which I really disliked

zane - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

A new beginning i just didnt like at all.

two opinions that have the same dislikeness for A New Beginning

and tsa shows mixed feelings which i can say its double gray pierce and Zane’s opinion yet not in a very conclusive way

tsa - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

A New Beginning. I have mixed feelings about the last one. It has some very good things, like the background story of Ben the scientist, and the way the game shows his utter disappointment

Sefir - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

I LOVE many of their games, especially the Whispered World (which I consider a GREAT one, one of my best 10 ag of all time)

zane - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

Whispered world and E&H are both very special games that deserve praise as unique classic

tsa - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

The Whispered World was quite fun to play

an obvious agreed love for The Whispered World is shown here.

diego - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

they made 6 or 7 games, and neither of those were labeled as BAD

Goldeneye - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

they released a total of 7 adventure games

I am not sure of the number of the Adventures Developed and released by Daedalic so far, i am afraid you guys mixed up their published titles with their Developed ones ?! .

i know about/sure about (even played)
Edna & Harvey,The Whispered World,A New Beginning,Chains of Satinav,Deponia unless you are talking about German releases (maybe) for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet,Harvey’s New Eyes I(that i have no idea about wether they were released even in Germany or not yet)

gabe - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

i cant see any negative thing about on their projects .I’m sure they’ll put their best on upcoming title too

diego - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

Daedalic is definitely what I consider a modern company which is “carefully” designing their games. What I love about it is how they try to blend “old school” with modern trends

jhetfield21 - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

he pool of positives for Daedalic.The graphics they produce are mostly hand drawn.personally i don’t know many other companies that release games with hand drawn style.

quite some Positive Great opinions about Daedalic in generally that suggest that they are the best established Adventure games Developer at scene, the time being , if that is what meant and i understood corrently i have to agree with that 100%.

Lucien - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

Far too early to put them in the classic adventure developer catagory yet though.

Goldeneye - 29 July 2012 01:35 PM

I don’t know if they can or are willing to keep up this pace. With this much haste it doesn’t seem likely that they have the freedom to give their games more development time like some are suggesting.

if i also understand correctly but Lucien and Goldeneye with their Unhidden admiration for Daedalic they suggest it hasnt reached up (yet) to be a resembling or considered a great classic leading developer such as the Greatest of all Times Sierra and Lucas .

at the end it seems we have finally a great developer that is granted with quality to give great Adventures, maybe it would never be another Sierra, but for the last 10 years standards it gave 5 great Games in a Time other developers takes forever to give such, you can compare it easily to Deck13 for example to see the HUGE difference in everything .and whether some would disagree on one title or two,  it comes here to stay we shall wait to see in the very near future some Adventures that would repeat some of the great classics Booming success that will effect on the major Gaming Scene , not just the Adventure’s !

Good Night

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Goldeneye - 30 July 2012 02:25 AM

Maybe I should have written it more clearly. With “released” I was going to say “developed and released”. If you want to count the titles you have to start with the german releases because a lot of their HOGs never got an english translation.

you shouldn’t have done anything than thankfully clarifying (for me) this, now i understood you did not consider in you previous post that AG’s Reviews here always refer to English releases and Global ones .

but you gave me more information than i needed Smile as i know now that Edna & Harvey2 got a release already same for Shakespeare’s, i know it might be my problem because i only rely on AG to get my informations about everything concerning Adventures, i dont know about HOG or i even use Gamespot.

i really hope Deadlic will go later on with their next new game release with the way as it was with Chains of Satinav release with the German and the English’s together… because i do Evny German Adventure Players Sarcastic  due to their chance always to play all best Adventures earlier (sometime very early) than the English Speaking spectators .

and that case is not only for Daedalic’s Games,the same with other Games from some various Developers such as,The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura , Black Sails and Hunted and the worst is that some titles like the mentioned Black Sails would/will never get an Enlish release!!!

i have no idea why they at least dont include a an English Subtites Patch until the Eng release comes out, Deck 13 did that with ANKH 2,3 releases ;an Option to read English Subs with the german Voices. i played them both that way (i bought the GERMAN RELEASES and didnt wait or mind it either Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Goldeneye - 30 July 2012 02:25 AM

You might label 1½ Ritter as “bad” because it’s a very solid game to a very bad Til Schweiger movie. Most reviewers said the game was better than the movie und that it mostly suffered from having the cast of the movie as voice actors, especially Til Scheiger as the player character. Don’t expect to see an english release of this one.

Yeah, I can’t think of another adventure which is noticeable better than the source material. And an adventure game to accompany a new movie is not what you see every day. Too bad the movie was lousy and the game wasn’t translated, it seems decent enough. But it was probably a significant step for Daedalic before The Whispered World.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top