• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiefurgottenIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 13 October 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The premise of the story set in the fantasy world of The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (2012) is not one that really appealed to me but I did find it to be a very good game with some intriguing aspects. The only downside was that the portrayal of protagonists Geron & Nuri was far less interesting than some of the other characters encountered along the way.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The dullness that depicts the protagonists is even more clear in the sequel, where there are two stories, an extremely boring one that involves Geron and Nuri and a far superior and interesting one that didn’t.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I actually quite liked Geron and especially Nuri and their story, but yes in the sequel it is the story of Sadja al’kebir that is by far the most interesting part, and also the main story being told.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I hate it when game developers don’t know sh nothing about the history of the genre and name their game like some old classic.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 13 October 2014 08:34 AM

The dullness that depicts the protagonists is even more clear in the sequel, where there are two stories, an extremely boring one that involves Geron and Nuri and a far superior and interesting one that didn’t.

I picked up Memoria in the GoG sale as I liked CoS enough but haven’t had a chance to play it yet but I’m interested now to see the contrast between the two stories within the game!

Iznogood - 13 October 2014 10:45 AM

I actually quite liked Geron and especially Nuri and their story, but yes in the sequel it is the story of Sadja al’kebir that is by far the most interesting part, and also the main story being told.

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t mind Geron & Nuri but for me they weren’t the most inspiring characters! 

zobraks - 13 October 2014 01:31 PM

I hate it when game developers don’t know sh nothing about the history of the genre and name their game like some old classic.

Why did they? Does anyone know? Because for me not being familiar with the earlier game (apart from screenshots) there doesn’t seem to be any connection?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 13 October 2014 03:00 PM

Why did they? Does anyone know?

I agree they should had avoided the confusion, although “The Dark Eye” is a VERY popular RPG system in Germany since 1984. through tabletop games. There was “The Dark Eye” cult trilogy of video games - Realms Of Arkania in early 90s. That’s why I always addressed this game as Chains of Satinav, leaving “The Dark Eye” part out. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There are lots of games based on german roleplaying game world and rules. Most are RPGs:

Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
The Dark Eye: Drakensang
The Dark Eye: Drakensang: The River of Time
The Dark Eye: Drakensang: Phileasson’s Secret
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
The Dark Eye: Memoria
The Dark Eye: Demonicon
The Dark Eye: Blackguards

It’s really big in Germany and I think other places, they had to put the name The Dark Eye there.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you wilco & diego for the info as I can now see the reasoning behind the full title!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I admired the storytelling in this game, because all the main characters changed during the course of the story. Geron doesn’t start out as a standard brave, daring hero. He starts out as the unluckiest guy in town. He has to earn his courage. I loved how ambivalent Nuri’s character is—she’s sweet and unreliable and unpredictable and manipulative and mysterious. I thought the game picked up the minute she entered it. The ending wasn’t a standard storybook-happy ending—it was too twisty and odd for that. But it was satisfying.

I agree that some of the other characters were unusually intriguing, particularly the harpist in the fairy realm.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Great games. I was really surprised how much I loved them. Memoria even a bit more. But I never understood the dislike of Geron and Nuri, to me they are good, likable characters and I thought their relationship was one of the better ones depicted in adventures. Of course their part in Memoria is a bit boring but they are intentionally left as side characters. Much better wrap up to an unfinished plotline than for example Still Life 2.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top