• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

WTF (spam posts)

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Where in the world did these Zynga-oriented posts com from, and why weren’t they blocked? What a mess. I’m scolling down two pages to find a thread that was on the top of the list earlier today.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

There clearly has been a spambot fail.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Might be time to introduce Captcha codes to Adventuregamers.com

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

thejobloshow - 27 July 2012 10:19 PM

Might be time to introduce Captcha codes to Adventuregamers.com

Oh, God, please no. I would much rather have the occasional spam attack than have to deal with the dreaded Captcha like on the old site.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

did you guys report to Dale, i guess 2 days in row this spamming happening and almost at the same time!

and for the Captcha ,i agree it can only be for like the 1st three Posts or so

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I said this in the feedback thread.

10 post minimum to start threads.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

inm8#2 - 28 July 2012 12:58 AM

I don’t think that’s possible, because it would lock out all the people who register specifically to start a thread in the Hints / Tech Help forum.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 28 July 2012 01:14 AM

I don’t think that’s possible, because it would lock out all the people who register specifically to start a thread in the Hints / Tech Help forum.

Maybe 5 posts, then? New users could make a few posts easily on this subforum then ask their question in hints/help.

Just an idea. I’m not sure what the root of the issue is. Captchas would help, too.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Having to make XX amount of posts to start a thread is a terrible idea, like Kurufinwe says. A lot of the new threads in the adventure forum is by people who make their first post that way.

I don’t know what’s the best way to deal with spambots, but on a forum I’ve used they had a custom question people had to fill out upon registering to see if you were a spambot. The question was “Are you a bot? (type No)” and if you didn’t write “No” in the appropriate box you would become insta-banned.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

A minimum post until you can post links is more workable and it would still allow the hit people to post,

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I doubt it would stop them posting messages in active threads, though. Meh

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kururfinwe - 28 July 2012 03:11 AM

so then Mods should evaluate which of the forums are more influential than the others (which is kinda obvious) and maybe Resolve it with stars for each post, and as for Hint Technical issues forum it should be applicable once registering. or lets say it gives (for registering,the new member) 1 (or however) star automatically .

inm8#2 - 28 July 2012 03:11 AM

New users could make a few posts easily on this subforum then ask their question in hints/help.
Just an idea. I’m not sure what the root of the issue is. Captchas would help, too.

Captchas would help yes indeed with those stars for more security and eventually the process end up then  
(however the calculations would be) will end up with the new members reaching the Adventure forums posting/Threading, and there/then would be no need for Captchas anymore.

IMHO

i do remebered Zobraks one time in the old forum asked something like why is it that new members always see a rule into making a new thread as the/their 1st Interaction with site ? (or something with that meaning) , i guess with these stars sys threads would be leveling the forums and starts from the urgent, technical problems needs until the fun of making contest and polls .

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 28 July 2012 03:11 AM

Having to make XX amount of posts to start a thread is a terrible idea, like Kurufinwe says. A lot of the new threads in the adventure forum is by people who make their first post that way.

Yes, because it would be impossible for a new user to read the adventure forum for 5 minutes, post in a few threads he/she finds interesting, then start a thread in the help section…

Alternately, the help forum could be an exception to the thread starting rule, but then it becomes susceptible to the attacks.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I started by posting in some Still Life thread and then I think I took a few years break from the site Tongue. Nothing to suggest here really, I’m fine with anything, as long as we don’t drown on bots.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Easy: Any new member who posts their first thread, has to get it approved by an administrator.
After that, it should be no problem anymore.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

jaap - 28 July 2012 05:58 PM

Easy: Any new member who posts their first thread, has to get it approved by an administrator.
After that, it should be no problem anymore.

I would hate to be the administrator that would have to make a value judgement on whether a new member is trustworthy based on the content of his/her first post. It’s not only impractical. I’m not sure it would be legal.

Aside from that, the posts of the subject thread were most certainly posted by a non-member, who’s sole interest was disrupting the flow of the forum. He/she temporarily succeeded. I didn’t count the number of new threads created. My guess is that it was a bit over 40. My other guess is that the “poster” wrote a program to specifically create a glut of new threads. Not necessarily on AG alone, although that’s possible, but certainly on the new software that AG converted to recently. For all I know, every entity using the same software received the same attack.

My original question/comment was how did this happen. I am certain that Marek and others are making sure it doesn’t happen again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top