• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissielakerz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 21 August 2014 07:08 PM

I would suggest that people who regularly play casual games chose whatever difficulty level they want. For those that will be doing this for the first time, I suggest starting on Casual.

I’ll go with ‘Advanced’. Picking the easiest option in an adventure game just feels wrong to me. Tongue

As far as I know there are no timed puzzles regardless of difficulty level.

Yay! Smile

The new thread will open tomorrow. Maybe the “other Tim” will move some of the pertinent final messages from this thread onto the start of the other one.

No problem. Because the site uses the timestamp to order things, they will come *before* the message you open your thread with, though.

My availability to answer questions is somewhat “iffy” until Monday. Although I may get a chance to take an occasional peek at the thread. My granddaughter, who graduated from IU culinary college this past May, is coming into town, and it will be our first chance to cook together since she got her name embroidered on her chef’s jacket. There are priorities. Smile

So is that why you remodeled the kitchen? Tongue
Have a great weekend, Tim! Thumbs Up

rtrooney - 21 August 2014 07:13 PM

You won’t be disappointed. But am I so far removed from European nomenclature that what I call a tracking shot is what you call an Opening Cinematic? Smile

Nah, I was just referring to the cutscene (with a cinematic feel) that the game opens with, while you were referring to the type of shot that’s used for most of said cutscene. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! As I promised yesterday in the Casual Games thread, it’s time for a new casual playthrough.

I’ve brought the top five games forward as automatic nominees. All the other games are still eligible, but will need to be re-nominated. No prior votes have been brought forward so the voting process is starting from scratch.

Barring ties, the nomination/voting process will close on October 18 at midnight. Of course that’s a big if seeing as we had to have a runoff before finally selecting Angelica Weaver.

Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies
Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood 
9: The Dark Side
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster
Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival

Again, please consider leading the playthrough if the game you nominated is selected as the winner.

All other rules are the same as last time. You can vote for as many games as you want. You can vote multiple times, just not for the same game(s) multiple times. There is no limit to the number of games you can nominate.

Let’s have some fun.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll probably join the CPT no matter which game wins, but my vote goes towards 9: The Dark Side, E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster and Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would suggest trying the demo to Fate’s Carnival. I know I am. There are two versions of the game. the other is called Mystery Case Files: Madam Fate. I’ve played the latter and thought it was just horrible. I’ve not played the former, but have been told that it is much better. It had better be. Three times as good is only 3/5 stars, which takes us from horrible to average. Smile

I’ll add this to my message to you and hope everyone sees it…

I will be updating the vote totals once a day. So if you don’t see your vote tallied immediately, don’t worry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I vote for Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenswood! .... but will join in with whatever wins if it’s available on BFG!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to throw a few more nominations into the mix.

F.A.C.E.S. Somewhat similar to Angelica Weaver, but a bit darker. Protagonist is a patient in a psychiatric hospital. Her attempts to escape are keyed to her ability to switch between time periods and locations based on visual localization. I.e. She sees an image in a photograph and she is transported there.

Phantasmat Very creepy game. Very surprising ending. Really good puzzles, but, perhaps, a few more HO scenes than non-casual game players might like. I loved this game.

Time Dreamer You find yourself in a place where everything has gone wrong. But there is an entity that allows you to go back in time to correct things. A very simplistic description, but a very fun game.

Urban Legends: The Maze Possibly the darkest game I’ve played. You are the last survivor of a survivor reality game. The producers want to make sure you don’t survive.

BTW, if you’re going to nominate a game, maybe a brief description, like the above would help.

All of the above games are available on BFG and have a demo option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

So far I have none of the suggested games but please do add descriptions. If I’m interested enough, one BigFish purchase is probably not too much. Rtooney’s dark suggestions seem all kinda interesting, I’m guessing that as casual games these are not in the level of Alone in the Darkness, Silent Hill or Amensia? Because that kind of horror is too much for me. GK, IHNMAIS and Post Mortem are more in the level I can take.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, you can add my vote to Phantasmat and True Dreamers. Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’d like to nominate Nightmare Adventures: The Witch’s Prison. It’s a game about a young woman who finds that her family has a link to an abandoned asylum, where an unnatural force is attempting to break free. The game approaches these themes with a sneaking sense of humor at times. Lots of puzzles and only one bog standard Hidden Object screen.

I’d also like to vote for:

E.P.I.C: Wishmaster Adventures
Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost
Phantasmat

In Phantasmat, you can switch to a Match-3 game instead of the Hidden Object screen if you like.

Since E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster Adventures doesn’t have a demo/trial version on Big Fish, additional screenshots from the game that have been recently added here.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I cast my votes for

Nightmare Adventures: Witches Prison
Enigmatis: Ghosts of Ravenwood
9: The Dark Side
E.P.I.C.: Wishmasters

Tim, did you mean Time Dreamers rather than True Dreamers?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Voting as of October 6, 2014

Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies (Tim)
Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (Chrissie, Becky, Tim, furgotten, Lady Kestrel) 
9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan, Tim, furgotten)
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster(Timovieman, Becky, Tim, furgotten)
Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost (Becky)
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival(TimovieMan)
F.A.C.E.S. (Lady Kestrel)
Phantasmat (TimovieMan, Becky, Tim, Lady Kestrel)
Time Dreamer (TimovieMan)
Urban Legends: The Maze
Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison (Becky, furgotten)

I will probably be updating the tally once more today. I had to come on early to correct some errors. Number one of which is that the game True Dreamer is actually Time DreamerPan

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5586

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Fate’s Carnival is much different than Madam Fate, which basically just had timed jigsaw puzzles.  I enjoyed the new one, but it wouldn’t be my choice for a playthrough.  I also wouldn’t choose Of Fiends and Fairies.  It’s fun, but there wouldn’t be much to discuss in a playthough.

The Mac compatible games I would play again are:
Phantasmat Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
F.A.C.E.S. Thumbs Up

I also recommend any of the Mad Head Games, but especially Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

millenia - 05 October 2014 10:23 PM

So far I have none of the suggested games but please do add descriptions. If I’m interested enough, one BigFish purchase is probably not too much. Rtooney’s dark suggestions seem all kinda interesting, I’m guessing that as casual games these are not in the level of Alone in the Darkness, Silent Hill or Amensia? Because that kind of horror is too much for me. GK, IHNMAIS and Post Mortem are more in the level I can take.

You are correct, and I would throw Scratches into that mix as well. The basic difference is that in a game such as Scratches you have 20+ hours to build to build a sense of dread and horror. To create that level of horror in a five or six hour casual game would overwhelm the player.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tim, I didn’t vote for F.A.C.E.S. Wink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vote as of October 7 (No Change)

5 votes Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (Chrissie, Becky, Tim, furgotten, Lady Kestrel) 
4 votes E.P.I.C: Wishmaster(Timovieman, Becky, Tim, furgotten)
4 votes Phantasmat (TimovieMan, Becky, Tim, Lady Kestrel)
3 votes 9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan, Tim, furgotten)
2 votes F.A.C.E.S. (Lady Kestrel, Tim)
2 votes Time Dreamer (TimovieMan, Tim)
2 votes Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison (Becky, furgotten)
1 vote Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost (Becky)
1 vote Urban Legends: The Maze (Tim)
1 vote [Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies (Tim)
1 vote Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival(TimovieMan)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top