• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 23 September 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dark Side of the Moon (1998) is one of those flawed 1st-person FMV adventures I love. You can criticize Temujin and DSotM all you want and list the many negatives, but I’ll just go yes, you’re right and love the game anyway. Heart

Luna Crysta is a colonized moon in another solar system, where the original inhabitants are now forced to work more or less as slaves in the mines that attract many golddiggers. Your favorite uncle died on Luna Crysta (nice mysterious intro) and left you his claim, so off you go. The story gets a bit wild and over the top near the end, but it was written by Lee Sheldon and it shows. Have we heard anything from Lee Sheldon since the Agatha Christie games…?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so this comes now, because of the upcoming pink floyed album? Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 23 September 2014 05:30 AM

so this comes now, because of the upcoming pink floyed album? Tongue

Hehe, I was going to ask whether or not the game features any Pink Floyd references… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hm… don’t think so, not sure. It’s a pretty serious game, not much room for humor.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

And Pink Floyd songs weren’t exactly the epitome of “humourous” Grin It would go well with the game. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I consider DSOTM one of the best FMV games I ever played. It has something that I can’t explain but makes me just love the game. I was so frustrated because you couldn’t play it in Win 7 when, last year, someone finally posted in the web a solution for this. I am in haven again.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I thought the acting in this game was rather good, and the story was intriguing—I agree about the intro. But the FMV environments were blurry, and I have a vague, nightmarish recollection of spending lots of time in an elevator where I had to constantly switch CDs. I never finished the game, unfortunately, so I never solved the tantalizing mystery.

There actually was a bit of humor in the game. I remember calling my accountant (or was it my lawyer?) and being told that office hours were 2:00 to 5:00 on Wednesdays (or something equally brief).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

UruBoo - 23 September 2014 08:21 AM

I consider DSOTM one of the best FMV games I ever played. It has something that I can’t explain but makes me just love the game. I was so frustrated because you couldn’t play it in Win 7 when, last year, someone finally posted in the web a solution for this. I am in haven again.

Cool! Do you have a link?

Becky - 23 September 2014 08:23 AM

I thought the acting in this game was rather good, and the story was intriguing—I agree about the intro. But the FMV environments were blurry, and I have a vague, nightmarish recollection of spending lots of time in an elevator where I had to constantly switch CDs. I never finished the game, unfortunately, so I never solved the tantalizing mystery.

Yeah, all reviews and literally everybody else complained about the terrible CD switching at the time, so I decided to buy the DVD version Southpeak released later. 

There actually was a bit of humor in the game. I remember calling my accountant (or was it my lawyer?) and being told that office hours were 2:00 to 5:00 on Wednesdays (or something equally brief).

LOL. I have no memory of any lawyer (on the vidphone?).

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Try This link.The problem was that, on XP and Win 7, the text in the game didn’t show, making it impossible to play. You have to download a riched32.dll that originally came with Win95 and 98, that was replaced in XP and Win7 installation, and copy it to the game folder. If you can’t find it in the net, I have it. Just ask.

About the swapping disks, it was terrible indeed. I use a virtualDVD program (there are tons of them free over the web), mount each CD in a different image disk letter and presto! No more swapping.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Karlok - 23 September 2014 08:35 AM

LOL. I have no memory of any lawyer (on the vidphone?).

I don’t think it was on the vidphone. This occurred close to the beginning of the game, and I remember it as a sort of phone booth in an out-of-the-way corner of a station or some other large complex.

I’m pretty sure that the version of the game I bought came with both CDs and a DVD. It might be the first game I ever owned on DVD. But (at least on my computer) the DVD environments were even blurrier those of the CD version. I decided to go with the sharper graphics and deal with the disk-swapping, but that may have been the wrong decision.

I’ll add my vote to those who would be interested to learn what Lee Sheldon is working on these days.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I still have the CD version on my bookshelf. I recall that there was some type of timed action sequence involving a lizard or dragon towards the end of the game. I didn’t enjoy that. The disk swapping was indeed horrible. Made all the worse because the PC I was using at the time used CD cassettes. I didn’t have nearly enough.

I really liked the game, but the disk swapping was the reason I never replayed it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

UruBoo - 23 September 2014 10:49 AM

Try This link.The problem was that, on XP and Win 7, the text in the game didn’t show, making it impossible to play.

Ah yes, the dialogue options were invisible, I remember now. They were there and you could click around the dialogue area but you’d only know what it was you clicked when protagonist Jake asked the question aloud. Smile Fortunately I played DSotM under win98. Temujin suffered from the same problem of the “invisible text”. But Temujin had no dialogue options, so all you had to do was write down the names of your savegames (you could type but the names didn’t show up!) and their order on a piece of paper, so you could restore them later. 

Thanks for the link!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top