• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 21 September 2014

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Psychic Detective (1995) is what I’d call a real interactive movie: whether the player does something or not, the movie keeps going. You can jump from one character to another, and sometimes even to objects, to learn more about the plot and the people. The story is dark in a bad way, I found it repulsive, but I like the concept of witnessing events from different perspectives very much. The developers had a sadistic streak because they provided only one slot to save your game and there are way too many possibilities to find the only good ending among the dozen bad ones.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That also looks like one of the worst interfaces ever, taking up 3/4 of the screen and leaving most of that empty…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2014 03:50 PM

That also looks like one of the worst interfaces ever

*Cough* The Daedalus Encounter *Cough*

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2984

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 21 September 2014 04:00 PM
TimovieMan - 21 September 2014 03:50 PM

That also looks like one of the worst interfaces ever

Seconded

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 21 September 2014 04:00 PM

I said “one of the worst”. That doesn’t change if you come up with “THE worst”. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Dark Side of the moon is up there.

However to be fair. Video compression was pretty bad back then so small windows hid the artifacts and lines etc.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lucien21 - 21 September 2014 04:51 PM

However to be fair. Video compression was pretty bad back then so small windows hid the artifacts and lines etc.

The Psychic Detective also features some full-screen scenes:

It’s not that bad for 95.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It certainly isn’t bad for a 1995 DOS game. I loved the feeling of being able to control the movie. When other people are present, which is most of the time, their thumbnails appear outside the frame. Click on one of them and you’ve changed the perspective, so the movie changes without stopping. The transistions are seamless, it’s great. Outside in the street you can hop from a skateboarding guy to a homeless woman, etcetera. Useless but fun.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I bought this sometime in the 90s and was never able to get it working on my PC. I must have tried everything. I’ve read about the game and love the idea of a genuinely interactive movie, but it’s one of those titles I’ll never experience Frown

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t remember which version of DOS I used, probably the one that came with Win98. The Psychic Detective is compatible with DOSbox, haven’t tried it though.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top