• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 14 September 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The USS Blackhawk is a submarine where you’ll spend most of your time in Codename Iceman (1989). It’s a weird game, I don’t know what Sierra was aiming for. Realism? Using keys, unlocking things, opening doors, even closing doors, chests, drawers - fine. But the developers took it to an extremely boring extreme: walk 3 screens to the left, open door, walk to girl, talk to girl, get key, walk to door, open door, walk 3 screens to the right, use key on door, open door, do whatever it is you came in for, and then do everything in reverse because it is vital that you give the key back to the girl. If you don’t the game punishes you.

So don’t forget to salute the flag!

PS: I once got in trouble in Greece when I took pics of a submarine in a harbor. Yeah, that was stupid of me.  Shifty Eyed

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 14 September 2014 03:48 AM

I once got in trouble in Greece when I took pics of a submarine in a harbor. Yeah, that was stupid of me.  Shifty Eyed

“She is either a journalist or a spy!! Arrest her!! Call the harbour police!! And take that camera off!!”  Grin

Seriously now, the reaction depends of the time period and the place. I don’t know the year you visited Greece, but I doubt that you could have any real problems before the economic crysis here or being in a tourist-crowded place.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iceman holds lots of memories, cant say all are good,
1st at the screen uploaded here, after saluting the flag you are about being asked of a copy protection question .  Wink

2nd This was the hardest game Sierra ever made.

3rd this was my first time to have a Sierra original hint book,  I still remember the book papers was in brown and letter in black, so there is no way (at the time) to get printed easily.

4thBefore Iceman, usually when you enter a new location at Sierra’s you had to text ‘LOOK’ so you would get a full description of the room , but at Iceman, just typing ‘LOOK’ would result the description of the place the avatar facing… I remember it was used later on at Hero’s Quest and other.

5th The Sub simulator arcade is almost impossible, never got the idea how it was solved, or the Boss Dice sequence… also goes for finding your way while diving, Jim Walls had taken this part overboard when it was quite nice played at PQII.

6th I ve gotten to learn the first aid procedures from the game’s manual (to help a drowned person) and some ofthe US navy terminology! 

Wink

Image Attachments

bandicam_2014-09-14_16-05-42-252.jpg

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This was the first adventure game I ever bought. Notice I didn’t say played. I was so frustrated that I just stopped. Went to the store and bought KQ1, also on 5.25” floppy disk. Never tried to finish Iceman, which is something rare. I usually feel honor-bound to finish a game regardless. Not this one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If Gold Rush!, released at around the same time is any indicative, I can only imagine what you say about the difficulty - early Sierra games are RAW like an early hard rock or metal, hard even more because of the (sometimes unfair) design than the puzzles, but I think it’ll get even more appreciated in the current trend of holding-hand to players in every possible situation.

Advie - 14 September 2014 09:26 AM

6th I ve gotten to learn the first aid procedures from the game’s manual (to help a drowned person) and some ofthe US navy terminology! 

Wink

Great! Grin I love clever and cheeky manuals!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 14 September 2014 05:42 PM

If Gold Rush!, released at around the same time is any indicative, I can only imagine what you say about the difficulty - early Sierra games are RAW Solid like an early hard rock or metal,

edited  Shifty Eyed  Meh  Cool

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 14 September 2014 04:49 AM
Karlok - 14 September 2014 03:48 AM

I once got in trouble in Greece when I took pics of a submarine in a harbor. Yeah, that was stupid of me.  Shifty Eyed

“She is either a journalist or a spy!! Arrest her!! Call the harbour police!! And take that camera off!!”  Grin

Seriously now, the reaction depends of the time period and the place. I don’t know the year you visited Greece, but I doubt that you could have any real problems before the economic crysis here or being in a tourist-crowded place.

Hehe… no, not the harbor police. A hatch opened and out came a sailor to talk to me about my pics and my camera, with another one watching from the hatch. I’d have loved to get inside the submarine, but they didn’t invite me in. Frown You’re right, I didn’t get into real trouble.

If you want me to tell you about the time a very angry Greek policeman threatened to throw me and my fellow travelers in jail for the night, just say the word.  Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 14 September 2014 05:42 PM

If Gold Rush!, released at around the same time is any indicative, I can only imagine what you say about the difficulty - early Sierra games are RAW like an early hard rock or metal, hard even more because of the (sometimes unfair) design than the puzzles, but I think it’ll get even more appreciated in the current trend of holding-hand to players in every possible situation.

Advie - 14 September 2014 09:26 AM

Wink

Great! Grin I love clever and cheeky manuals!

It’s not much fun to look up the exact words to type (in the case of the drowning person) in the manual. The early Sierra games do have a few things in common, but Codename Iceman stands out like a sore thumb. It’s not a good game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top