• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Destiny

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 12 September 2014 09:02 AM

In Short: It’s not short of spectacle but in terms of innovation and variety this is nowhere near as forward-thinking as Bungie would like to pretend.

Pros: The gunplay and loot design is expertly crafted to keep you playing. Fantastic art design and music, with some stunning visuals. Mountains of content and great co-op.

Cons: Repetitive enemies, non-existent set pieces, and terrible bosses. No new ideas and overly simplistic role-playing and customisation elements. Almost zero plot.

Just arrived on Mars and totally agree so far.
They seem to be rolling out new content in the next weeks, hopefully it will be worthwhile.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s only a joke, but couldn’t help but laugh at Boogie2988’s video question about this.

“It’s not bad…for borderlands 3!!” XD

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/destiny-review/1900-655/

Giant Bomb 3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 12 September 2014 02:45 PM
nomadsoul - 12 September 2014 09:02 AM

In Short: It’s not short of spectacle but in terms of innovation and variety this is nowhere near as forward-thinking as Bungie would like to pretend.

Pros: The gunplay and loot design is expertly crafted to keep you playing. Fantastic art design and music, with some stunning visuals. Mountains of content and great co-op.

Cons: Repetitive enemies, non-existent set pieces, and terrible bosses. No new ideas and overly simplistic role-playing and customisation elements. Almost zero plot.

Just arrived on Mars and totally agree so far.
They seem to be rolling out new content in the next weeks, hopefully it will be worthwhile.

They need to give option to customize armours, with loot on the field like borderlands.
Its amazing how Destiny is hardly 50% of Blands2 scope and content.

But atleast Bungie focuses on combat, i really enjoyed the pumping soundtrack and first
encounter with Cabal on Mars. They could have focused on more tight short story with
more cutscenes rather than overdoing the same stuff. They seem conflicted with
grinding mechanic and focus, and they need to fire their story writers, after Halo this is unacceptable.

Anyway,

6 from gamespot, lol

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/destiny-review/1900-6415863/

Level7, 5/10

“Instead of coming up with anything interesting and worthwhile, Destiny takes mechanics from better games and grinds them to a halt in an incredibly repetitive and monotonous experience. The PvP is all right and the presentation may be gorgeous, but the pretty surface only serves to remind us of the emptiness inside.”

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/09/12/destiny-review/

3.5/5

Polygon 6/10

Down to 74

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/destiny

Game is getting butchered.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Have to say, I was not expecting so many such low grades. Still, it’s also getting the occasional very good review.

Of course, it seems they already got their investment back, so it’s not a total failure for them Wink So it’s a really good thing for them that the game couldn’t get day-1 reviews… But if they want to really make it the kind of series they hyped it up to be, they really have to do big changes and cash in those promises with Destiny 2 the latest, preferably already in the Comets. As was said earlier, they need to do “the Assassin’s Creed” with the series.

Still, it seems really addictive. A friend of mine said that even with the obvious problems, on one night he only slept for 2½ hours Grin

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 13 September 2014 03:05 AM

Have to say, I was not expecting so many such low grades. Still, it’s also getting the occasional very good review.

Of course, it seems they already got their investment back, so it’s not a total failure for them Wink So it’s a really good thing for them that the game couldn’t get day-1 reviews… But if they want to really make it the kind of series they hyped it up to be, they really have to do big changes and cash in those promises with Destiny 2 the latest, preferably already in the Comets. As was said earlier, they need to do “the Assassin’s Creed” with the series.

Still, it seems really addictive. A friend of mine said that even with the obvious problems, on one night he only slept for 2½ hours Grin

WoW and some other MMORPGs , shitty facebook , iphone apps are addictive too.

Destiny is best for grinders.

Activision/Ubisoft published games always get investment back. They will fool even more punterz with occasional onslaught of DLCs.

Casuals love them some marketing victimization.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I wonder why they’re keeping some of the PvP gametypes timed? Like this weekend they have Salvage, you’d think it’d be available always.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 13 September 2014 10:17 AM

I wonder why they’re keeping some of the PvP gametypes timed? Like this weekend they have Salvage, you’d think it’d be available always.

Guess its their way to make the online world happening.
There are some public events planned as well.
They also introduced this weekend shop, with some cool armours not available in weekdays.

The whole social thing is whack tbh, first they used the story lore grimore cards to be
battle.net/tablet app exclusive, you cannot even check them in actual game, now
these sudden updates of events/vendors are being communicated through social media like Facebook.
No updates in the game.

I think the hub of Destiny is shit version of PlayStation Home.

Gameplay is dope nonetheless,battling Cabal race is fun.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 13 September 2014 12:20 PM

Gameplay is dope nonetheless,battling Cabal race is fun.

That’s what I was thinking. After the Vex being disappointing brainless robots, the Cabal were really fun. Lots of different tactics and enemies (shielded, fast)
Did some strikes with randoms and went pretty well. Fun stuff, should have more of them
PvP is unbalanced as hell, keep getting destroyed by people above level 20… Why no decent matchmaking?!?

Grimoire cards in bungie.net site actually have lots of info… Why the hell is that not available in-game?!? Also sucks that the town is just a bunch of no personality vendors… Could have used some dialogue and some missions from them to add character.

Edit: Surprised about the reviews… Are reviewers pissed that they didn’t get to play the game early this time?... Smile The game has lots of problems but they have never been this harsh about the same old boring and buggy shooters like CoD or Battlefield.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 13 September 2014 02:04 PM

Edit: Surprised about the reviews… Are reviewers pissed that they didn’t get to play the game early this time?... Smile The game has lots of problems but they have never been this harsh about the same old boring and buggy shooters like CoD or Battlefield.

You know monumental hype, them conferences demos, since years and all the Bungie
as Top tier Devs expectations etc.

I get the flaws but 6.5 is even Titanfall killer, there are three more
6.5 i read,

EGM

With a lifeless world, a hazily plotted, repetitive campaign, and an endgame that quickly resorts to a slow grind for marginally better loot, Destiny fails to deliver on the promise of its concept and the enormous potential of its gameplay systems.

An actual line of dialogue from the game: “I don’t even have time to explain why I don’t have time to explain.

Tongue

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I was watching a stream of Destiny by some writers (I find myself becoming more supportive of game journalists in the past few weeks) and have already seen a bit of the Giant Bomb Quick Look. It’s visually stunning but I’m a little shocked by how uninteresting the story and lore are. How can a big budget science fiction game treat its storytelling so, I dunno, haphazardly?

Wolfenstein The New Order fared a little better but I also felt that story took itself way too seriously in parts. I suppose it doesn’t matter for this genre but the reaction indicates that something isn’t resonating.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished today,

Pros

As mentioned gunplay is fun and addictive.
Music.
Amazing Mars locations, especially Buried City.
Warlock Class air floating is FUN and lifesaver.

Cons

-Low number of enemies for 20 hour of respawns and grinding.
-Broken leveling system, higher level enemies give same exp as low levels and one can
cheat his way through Crucible to gain xps for Singleplayer.
-Vex , Vex and more Vex, even last mission is Vex and more Vex, they will make sure you hate them fighting again and again and again.
-One more wave of Vex and then you are done with super shit story. With the end game
Bungie made sure that we should give them 7 at max for their effort. But if we ignore most
of the elements for gameplay in other games like Mario , might as well cut Bungie some slack.

So 8/10 from me.

Edit:

I will post some beautiful pics i took during campaign, later.

Edit2:

Here

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

How much levelling did you do?  I’m not liking the post-level 20 light system at all (now at lev 24). It’s too reliant on either grinding bounties and the crucible to buy the higher level armour, or waiting on the luck of a random drop.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dale - 15 September 2014 12:04 PM

How much levelling did you do?  I’m not liking the post-level 20 light system at all (now at lev 24). It’s too reliant on either grinding bounties and the crucible to buy the higher level armour, or waiting on the luck of a random drop.

I finished some Bounties otherwise avoided all the things as it breaks the game.
Doing Story missions on higher levels i.e Normal is no fun so i finished whole Mars
on VeryHard , and by the end of the game i was level 16.
It doesn’t matter what side activities you do since its not worth the fatigue of grinding. And many missions are same fighting with same enemies which you fight hundred times in Story.

And now i will do some random battles with Cabal before selling my copy. Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

@nomad

Those shots are great, I loved the feeling every time I arrived at a new planet,  magnificent environments to explore and beautiful sky. Just wished that feeling stayed longer.

I hope the next Mass Effect reaches this art quality.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top