• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Destiny

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Giant Bomb seem a bit unenthusiastic about Destiny. Anyone here bought it?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 11 September 2014 10:36 AM

Giant Bomb seem a bit unenthusiastic about Destiny. Anyone here bought it?

I have it. I’m liking it but I’m still just at level 9. What are the complains?

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

They said they’ve had to revisit a lot of the same areas, same sort of missions and they’re near the level cap before they’ve even gotten to Venus.

They did say it’s early, but at the moment they seem unattached to it.

The complaints on twitter seem to be it’s short.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The single player missions are a bit uninspired so far, but it’s same complain I had about Halo. Most fun so far were events with random people and the RPG aspect of it (leveling up, powers). It looks very good.
Tried the Crucible PvP and was destroyed as expected (I don’t play competitive shooters except TF2 Smile)

If it’s really short and low on content that is indeed disappointing.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 11 September 2014 11:28 AM

They said they’ve had to revisit a lot of the same areas, same sort of missions and they’re near the level cap before they’ve even gotten to Venus.

They did say it’s early, but at the moment they seem unattached to it.

The complaints on twitter seem to be it’s short.

Amazing and addictive gameplay, reminded me old days of Halo1. I am at Venus (lvl 11).
At one instance i came across huge army of Vex ( Skynet/terminators of Destiny ) and bosses only to be aided by 3 other players randomly awesome stuff.
Music is orgasm-ic.

But yes Drinklage VA, story , the online elements Bungie promised are undercooked.  Gameplay, Music and Level design are High quality stuff.

Repetitive story structure and Enemies > well Halo had even shorter variety, not to mention they reused them same races for 3+ games. Gearsofwar one race was even worse.

Also i am enjoying 10 times more with Warlock than Hunter , the floating Jump skill is
game changer.

If anyone looking for Scifi story , its not even 5% of Masseffect.
But World design is cool.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Everybody here playing on PS4?

Hopefully they’ll be able to really flesh out the good foundation they now have at least with the “Comets” (that is, the big DLCs they have planned). Not to mention Destiny 2, but that’s a bit early to think about, probably Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 12 September 2014 03:05 AM

Everybody here playing on PS4?

Hopefully they’ll be able to really flesh out the good foundation they now have at least with the “Comets” (that is, the big DLCs they have planned). Not to mention Destiny 2, but that’s a bit early to think about, probably Wink

Yes PS4, i wont touch this series again if they continue with this game design of wave after wave, this game is Horde mode nothing else. Exploration is useless because the very first mission on each planet gives you access to almost all locations.

And the Venus wave after wave of Vex and Fallen is not Fun.

I hope they bring new races in DLCs else bust.

Neogaf and most of the sites are bashing it , i think its another TitanFall.

People caught in the web of Manufactured hype.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

[s]What does race matter, though? Since after all it’s just a mainly hidden cosmetic change.[/s]Right, you meant enemy race.

I think it’s a pretty good FPS for me, I don’t really like most of them but this will be something to casually play every now and then with something more-or-less new to do. It won’t feel so repetitive then, anyways.

The horde thing (and bullet-sponge bosses, unless they have a clear weakness or a workaround or something) is something I’m not a fan of either, though. I mean, the horde thing is fun on occasion but not all the time. Kinda also why I usually prefer more fixed games to open-world ones.

But really, most sites bashing it? Admittedly I haven’t looked very widely and only on the first couple days, but I still mainly saw fairly good impressions - overall saying it’s a lot of fun to play despite its opaque story and somewhat repetitiveness. And I did hear many comments that it really gets more fun the further you’re into it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Might be an Assassins Creed-like problem where the first one had a sturdy foundation but a lot of people criticized the mission design.
I think there is a problem with the design, each planet should have a big hub world to explore and story missions starting from there. Having to go back to orbit each time and repeating same places is annoying.
Arrived in Venus, it’s beautiful. Gunplay is great.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 12 September 2014 08:28 AM

What does race matter, though? Since after all it’s just a mainly hidden cosmetic change.

I think it’s a pretty good FPS for me, I don’t really like most of them but this will be something to casually play every now and then with something more-or-less new to do. It won’t feel so repetitive then, anyways.

The horde thing (and bullet-sponge bosses, unless they have a clear weakness or a workaround or something) is something I’m not a fan of either, though. I mean, the horde thing is fun on occasion but not all the time. Kinda also why I usually prefer more fixed games to open-world ones.

But really, most sites bashing it? Admittedly I haven’t looked very widely and only on the first couple days, but I still mainly saw fairly good impressions - overall saying it’s a lot of fun to play despite its opaque story and somewhat repetitiveness. And I did hear many comments that it really gets more fun the further you’re into it.

NZ Gamer - 7/10:

“Destiny isn’t a bad game, by any means. If you like sci-fi shooters, you’ll get a good 20 hours of enjoyment out of this. But that’s really all it is; a fun, forgettable shooter that plays it safe and sticks to what’s been proven, with nothing to really set it apart from it’s peers. But maybe that’s for the best, because Destiny’s one area of attempted innovation - it’s hyped up social elements, persistent world, and multiplayer gameplay, are it’s biggest failing.”

The Escapist - 3/5:

“Bottom Line: With its banal universe and flavorless style, Destiny is packed with content, but just ... well ... content. There’s a great PvP mode, and the leveling system can be rewarding but ultimately this is a pretty, rock-solid, ultimately pedestrian product.”

Race> The first 2 missions on 1st planet race/enemy types are repeated for first 2 planets. Then same enemies are repeated with one etxra race in planet 3.
The last planet has another race, thats all.

For the promises, GOTY anticipations and Bungie next big thing, the game falls short.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/destiny

I would also rate it 8, some lows are really holding the game back.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Ah, enemy race Grin I thought you mean player race… Pan Yeah, I can see why that would matter, sure. Have to be careful, though. In Halo 4 343i brought in the Forerunners, but they were a total failure as an enemy type, I’d rather have more of the same Covenant to fight than the really boring Forerunners. But I guess I’d be more optimistic about Bungie’s capabilities to bring in good new enemy types.

As for the reviews, I guess personally I’d call them cautiously positive Tongue Like, not fantastic, but “pretty good” Wink (Edit: Though some certainly are fairly bad, too, even when they saay that it’s somehow quite addictive or fun to play)

I think I won’t rush with buying a console just for Destiny, though. I’ll wait for a good deal, more good games and/or the announcement for it to come to PC. I’m still looking forward to playing it, but now I won’t have to feel so anxious.

And hopefully they acknowledge these issues that the game has and get cracking on solving them. It’s just easy for a company like that to get kind of stuck in their usual ways of doing things.

(I only now realize we’re discussing this on the console thread. Maybe if there’s going to be a lot more to talk about there should be another thread, though with the small amount of people talking here, I guess it’s not such a big deal)

(Edit):

wilco - 12 September 2014 08:44 AM

Might be an Assassins Creed-like problem where the first one had a sturdy foundation but a lot of people criticized the mission design.
I think there is a problem with the design, each planet should have a big hub world to explore and story missions starting from there. Having to go back to orbit each time and repeating same places is annoying.
Arrived in Venus, it’s beautiful. Gunplay is great.

I think you make good points Smile Especially the AC comparison.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

UPtimist - 12 September 2014 08:55 AM

Ah, enemy race Grin I thought you mean player race… Pan Yeah, I can see why that would matter, sure. Have to be careful, though. In Halo 4 343i brought in the Forerunners, b about Bungie’s capabilities to bring in good new enemy types.ut they were a total failure as an enemy type, I’d rather have more of the same Covenant to fight than the really boring Forerunners. But I guess I’d be more optimistic

As for the reviews, I guess personally I’d call them cautiously positive Tongue Like, not fantastic, but “pretty good” Wink

I think I won’t rush with buying a console just for Destiny, though. I’ll wait for a good deal, more good games and/or the announcement for it to come to PC. I’m still looking forward to playing it, but now I won’t have to feel so anxious.

And hopefully they acknowledge these issues that the game has and get cracking on solving them. It’s just easy for a company like that to get kind of stuck in their usual ways of doing things.

(I only now realize we’re discussing this on the console thread. Maybe if there’s going to be a lot more to talk about there should be another thread, though with the small amount of people talking here, I guess it’s not such a big deal)

More ,

Gameblog [FR] : 3,5/5
http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/2046-destiny-xbox-one-ps4

This one nails it.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/12/destiny-review-the-final-verdict-4866002/

In Short: It’s not short of spectacle but in terms of innovation and variety this is nowhere near as forward-thinking as Bungie would like to pretend.

Pros: The gunplay and loot design is expertly crafted to keep you playing. Fantastic art design and music, with some stunning visuals. Mountains of content and great co-op.

Cons: Repetitive enemies, non-existent set pieces, and terrible bosses. No new ideas and overly simplistic role-playing and customisation elements. Almost zero plot.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Right. Well, to be honest I have been quite expecting this for a longer time already. Luckily I play very few FPS so it will feel much fresher to me than to most Grin

Kind of good to know I don’t have to rush into a next-gen console Wink

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I had my suspicions Destiny might land with a bit of a thud. The write up seem to have it as middling.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 12 September 2014 08:55 AM

I split the thread nonetheless. Maybe keep the console thread for talk about the consoles themselves and not the games they have… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

They have hyped it up to be a 10 year game so maybe with new contect and tweaks it can improve, but at the moment it seems to be short of content and storyline. It is not sure whether to be a FPS or an MMO.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top