• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordzzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Marketing

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

As I now have free time again to contribute in a meaningful way on the forum, I’m starting a thread with shots of the various ways that adventure games are/have been marketed. This will mostly consist of advertisements but will also include box covers and other such items. Sometimes the marketing is better than the games themselves, other times worse. You decide.

I will be using the widest possible definition of adventure so expect anything from visual novels up to survival horror games. The overwhelming majority will fit solidly within most people’s definitions though. It will also encompass all languages and platforms. I don’t discriminate.

My first entry is a humorous two page French print ad for Toonstruck (1996), a game that should need no introduction here.

Click the image below to see a larger version.

Click here to see an ultra large image for 4K displays (990k)

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

This is a two page German print ad for Broken Sword 1: The Shadow of the Templars (1996). Can you spot the culprit in the line-up? Wink I think they could have done a better job matching the clown to the game version though…

Click here to see an ultra large image for 4K displays (826k)

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

I can add something:

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Yeah, I already have a higher quality scan of that ad and others for Toonstruck. I’ll get to that particular ad and many many more eventually. Thanks though.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

How dare you, seagul. Wink

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

I have a few of these ads. But higher quality sounds better, so please show them.

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Click the image below to see a larger uncropped version.

This is a sidebar print ad for Tales on Birchbark (1997), a Russian adventure game geared towards the younger player. It’s kind of a boring ad, relying almost entirely on screenshots but not many have probably heard of it so it’s interesting in that regard.

You can watch a partial playthrough on youtube if you like.

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

This is a print ad for Who’s Fat Lou? (1996), a game I covered as a Scene of the Day a while back.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Nice idea, but why for God’s sake there’s a separate thread for every game!??

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Not just for every game. A separate thread for every single picture of one and the same game. Adventure Game Marketing #1: Toonstruck (#1);  Adventure Game Marketing #1: Toonstruck (#2), etcetera. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yes, it really would be a good idea to merge these, as that would be esaier for conversation.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yup. Nice idea, D, but there’s no need for a new thread every time.

First four merged.

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Rather than create a link every time, I’ll just explain this once. Postimage will downsize images above a certain size. If you simply click on the thumbnail you will see that downsized image. If you want the full unaltered image scroll down on the opened page and click on the link near the bottom that says “full size”. If there is no such link then the image I posted was small enough to not be reduced and you can simply save the image you see.

Anyway, let the flood begin…

Here’s a single page print ad for Quest for Glory 4

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Here’s a press release for Dark Seed 2

H.R. GIGER’S MACABRE ART FEATURED IN NEW SPINE TINGLING CD-ROM ADVENTURE GAME “DARK SEED II”

LOS ANGELES—November 13, 1995 Dark Seed II, the long-awaited sequel to Cyberdreams Inc.‘s award-winning original Dark Seed CD-ROM game, will hit the shelves in late November. The game features the macabre artwork of Swiss surrealist painter and fine artist H.R. Giger, designer of the monsters in MGM Pictures’ hit sci-fi film Species and Alien. MGM Interactive will market and distribute the title.

A modern day Gothic horror story, “Dark Seed II” casts the player in the role of science-fiction writer Mike Dawson, the original game’s protagonist, who embarks on a mind-bending journey from his seemingly “normal” home town, back to the hellish Dark World, home of the Ancients, evil creatures intent on conquering the earth.

As in the original “Dark Seed,” the backgrounds and creatures of the sequel’s Dark World are based on the artwork of H.R. Giger, which resemble a fascinating amalgam of machinery and human anatomy. Dawson and the player traverse wild biomechanical landscapes and encounter gruesome and macabre creatures. The game’s creators once again had access to Giger’s library of previously published art works and have included even more images, with greater resolution, in “Dark Seed II.”

Giger’s famed two-dimensional artwork was digitized to add three-dimensional depth, allowing Dawson to travel through a virtual nightmare. The design of the Giger-inspired Dark World places Dawson in constant peril. The story begins as Dawson, recuperating from a nervous breakdown, learns his high-school sweetheart was murdered and that he is the prime suspect. Dawson probes for clues in a town inhabited by quirky characters with weird secrets including a pill-popping, depressed carnival strong man, a corrupt sheriff and a mortician with a twisted fetish.

Each of the town’s characters have even stranger counterparts in the Dark World, where Mike searches for the killer. He learns that the Ancients had her murdered by a Shape Shifter, a creature that can survive in the real world for short periods of time. The Ancients plan to use the Shape Shifter to help destroy the human race.

Mike Dawson’s home town, which echoes David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks,” is visually stunning. An overhead perspective encompasses Dawson’s entire hometown with several “exit spots” for Dawson to investigate, including the local diner and pool hall; the crime scene; the Sheriff’s office and morgue; the office of Dr. Sims, Dawson’s psychiatrist; and a traveling carnival.

“The original “Dark Seed” is one of Cyberdreams’ best-selling games, and we’ve had many requests for a sequel,” said Daniel Pelli, Cyberdreams, Inc. director of business and legal affairs. “Dark Seed II will captivate game enthusiasts with its gripping storyline, intriguing characters and formidable puzzles.”

“We’re excited to add to our catalogue of CD-ROM titles, a follow-up to one of Cyberdreams’ most popular titles,” said Ronald Frankel, executive vice president and general manager, MGM Interactive. “Dark Seed II underscores MGM Interactive’s support of innovative CD-ROM games that emphasize character and story.”

While “Dark Seed II” features the same nightmarish themes that made its predecessor so popular, play capabilities have been greatly enhanced. Now, players can converse with the digitized voices of more than 30 characters, journey through more than 75 richly textured 3-D landscapes and witness horrifying, edge-of-your-seat cinematic sequences. Yet, “Dark Seed II” isn’t steeped in game-play acrobatics. The user interface is simple, enabling players to become immersed in the story and even forget they are playing a game. The player becomes detective and even psychologist, as dream sequences foreshadow events in the future, and characters plunge into madness where the boundaries of reality and psychosis become blurred.

“Dark Seed II” will be available at retail outlets nationwide for Windows; a Macintosh version will follow in February of 1996. Both versions carry a suggested retail price of $69.95. For more information, call 1-800-586-2021.

Cyberdreams, Inc. specializes in producing action, science fiction, fantasy, role-playing and interactive entertainment games for home computers and dedicated game systems.

MGM Interactive, a unit of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., manages creative development and production of interactive products for a variety of multimedia platforms, as well as talent and developer relationships.

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

A two page print ad for The Dallas Quest

I’m still amazed to this day how popular this show was and what a big deal “Who Shot J.R.?” was…

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Here’s an interesting one page print ad for Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top