• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 03 September 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I wanted to finish Valiant Hearts (2014) before using it as AGSotD, but I hadn’t planned on the action being too hard for me.  Cry The screenshot is the part where I stopped playing. I got killed over a dozen times. Evade granades thrown at me, run left, pick up granade, run back, hold Shift, aim with arrow keys, hit Space. Aiming is where it’s at and I’m simply too slow. Even if I persevered and got better at it or just lucky, there would be more of the same: action, arcade, dodging, throwing, digging, hitting. Plus a few very easy but enjoyable puzzles.

I’ve always been in favor of pushing the bounderies of the genre, but when 75-80 percent of a game is action calling it an adventure game is weird. That shouldn’t matter to people who like the game and the story. Unfortunately, I’m not one of them.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Karlok for posting those comments. It’s a game that might have otherwise tempted me by what I’ve read in reviews as the story sounds fascinating!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, most reviews are very positive, the one here at AG included. So don’t go by my highly subjective opinion!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I enjoyed the game and was also surprised by how much action there was for a designated adventure. They could definitely have added an ‘easy’ setting. It’s a World War I game, but it does not need to be hard to convey the feel of the war.

Don’t regret not finishing it - the game was repetitive especially in the 2nd half.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 03 September 2014 04:06 AM

Yes, most reviews are very positive, the one here at AG included. So don’t go by my highly subjective opinion!

Your description of that sequence & how difficult you found it is an aspect that doesn’t appeal to me especially if there’s more. What’s annoying me is that the game has been very heavily promoted as a puzzle adventure with the amount of action & it’s difficulty ‘underplayed’ & subtly integrated into a focus on the story in a lot of reviews I’ve read.

Oscar - 03 September 2014 04:36 AM

I enjoyed the game and was also surprised by how much action there was for a designated adventure. They could definitely have added an ‘easy’ setting. It’s a World War I game, but it does not need to be hard to convey the feel of the war.

So is it mainly a puzzle game or is it an action game?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s mainly a puzzle game but it has some action elements like a boss fight and at least 2 rythm based chase sequences but the main focus of the game is undoubtedly the story and puzzles. The little action sequences are not very hard mainly because the game auto-saves all the time and it’s fast to try them again.
I think it’s worth it to play it until the end - it’s not very long and the last bittersweet sequences are poignant.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

What wilco said. I may also add that the Valiant hearts has one of the best endings I have seen in any game the rescent years.
It is also a highly educating game too. Perhaps the game of the year for me thus far.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 03 September 2014 09:24 AM
Oscar - 03 September 2014 04:36 AM

So is it mainly a puzzle game or is it an action game?

You’ll spend about 70% of your time on puzzles and 30% on action: the latter involves timed running and dodging bullets and throwing grenades, and there are also a few difficult ‘boss battles’. There are also several sections where you are being chased in a car and have to avoid hitting things and being blown up, and a frequently recurring first-aid themed mini-game where you have to quickly tap keys in response to prompts (like Guitar Hero).

Like Karlok, your enjoyment will depend on how good you are at action sequences. If you have played side-scrolling action games of the early 90s like Nintendo, you will know what to expect and probably won’t have too much trouble.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Oscar - it does seem like a game that in parts will completely frustrate me but I may give it a go in the future if the price drops to a silly price as the story does appeal a lot!!!  Laughing

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 03 September 2014 10:27 AM

You’ll spend about 70% of your time on puzzles and 30% on action:

Heh, I said the exact opposite! I don’t want to be unfair to the game just because I suck at action stuff, but I guess it all depends on our respective definitions of action and puzzles. To me sneaking past a guard or distracting him so you can sneak up on him and hit him is not a puzzle, it’s action and if you do it wrong you get killed. Digging and avoiding mines is acton. The same goes for the incredible amount of granades, bricks, bottles, bomb and sticks of dynamite, I had to aim correctly. I’m currently at the beginning of Chapter Three (yes, I got past Von Dorf twice! Smile) and I’m ready to throw in the towel again. I’m on a moving platform and have less than two seconds to aim a stick of dynamite through a flame.  Thumbs Up

PS: Something else I don’t like: The game makes you do things over and over again when you fail. I want to be able to save my game! I must have seen the cut scene with Von Dorf at the end of Chapter Two twenty+ times. Yeah, it took me that long to figure out how to beat him and do it fast enough.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 04 September 2014 04:52 AM
Oscar - 03 September 2014 10:27 AM

You’ll spend about 70% of your time on puzzles and 30% on action:

Heh, I said the exact opposite! I don’t want to be unfair to the game just because I suck at action stuff, but I guess it all depends on our respective definitions of action and puzzles. To me sneaking past a guard or distracting him so you can sneak up on him and hit him is not a puzzle, it’s action and if you do it wrong you get killed. Digging and avoiding mines is acton. The same goes for the incredible amount of granades, bricks, bottles, bomb and sticks of dynamite, I had to aim correctly. I’m currently at the beginning of Chapter Three (yes, I got past Von Dorf twice! Smile) and I’m ready to throw in the towel again. I’m on a moving platform and have less than two seconds to aim a stick of dynamite through a flame.  Thumbs Up

You don’t know how glad I am to hear someone is more crap at action than I am!  Nerd

But then, you must be a lot better at puzzles because I spent a lot of time on some of them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top