• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 01 September 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

My intention was to replay just a little of Daemonica (2005) to remind myself of the game & capture some screenshots but I’ve got so engrossed in this dark story all over again I’m carrying on!

For the most part it’s a traditional adventure set in the 14th century which incorporates some elements more familiar in RPGs such as the isometric perspective, potion making, & sword fights (not many) when the health meter seen in the corner of the screenshots becomes relevant. Protagonist Nicholas Fayrepoint, whose methods include communicating with the souls of the dead, has been invited to investigate a murder in the gloomy town of Cavorn despite a man already having been hung for it! The game contains a lot of dialogue which is not voiced except for Nicholas’s narrative in place of cut scenes but the game has a wonderful atmospheric soundtrack.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

A horrible thread! Now you “force” me to replay this game as well. As I enjoyed it, I checked over the years for the sequel, but sadly it was cancelled. Thanks for all the inspiring postings!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Interesting screenshot, I would never guess this was an adventure game, it looks more like a Dungeo Siege-like game. I’m going to check it out.

Edit: Cool, the game is actually on sale on Gamersgate

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

robert foster - 01 September 2014 10:56 AM

As I enjoyed it, I checked over the years for the sequel, but sadly it was cancelled.

Me too! & I am so disappointed - the premise of Nicholas’s ability & the way he has to go about using it is so interesting with a lot of potential especially if his methods are discovered!

wilco - 01 September 2014 10:57 AM

Interesting screenshot, I would never guess this was an adventure game, it looks more like a Dungeo Siege-like game. I’m going to check it out.

Yes! it is what I would describe as an adventure game - I’ve so far not been able to get on with RPGs! Hope you enjoy it wilco & I would be interested in your comments. Just to add that the only downside of the game for some is that you have to spend time wandering around looking for herbs which hopefully has been made easier with a patch in the current version! I didn’t mind myself!

I’ve just looked at Gamersgate & sure enough the game is very cheap at the mo but there are also a lot of interesting comments there to read too!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 01 September 2014 11:55 AM

Yes! it is what I would describe as an adventure game - I’ve so far not been able to get on with RPGs! Hope you enjoy it wilco & I would be interested in your comments. Just to add that the only downside of the game for some is that you have to spend time wandering around looking for herbs which hopefully has been made easier with a patch in the current version! I didn’t mind myself!

Played a bit of it - talked to everybody, made some potions - despite technical rough edges seems like something I’ll enjoy. Interesting setting and characters, kind of like Sleepy Hollow but darker. The big backstory is definitely worth a read and you’re right, the soundtrack is very atmospheric.

What does the patch do? I installed the gamersgate version but I’ts already patched.

chrissie - 01 September 2014 11:55 AM

I’ve just looked at Gamersgate & sure enough the game is very cheap at the mo but there are also a lot of interesting comments there to read too!

Most of the bad comments there seem to be from people expecting a Diablo-RPG Smile

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-24

PM

Looks a little like Skyrim. Smile

“When all else fails, x=8.”

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Always wanted to play this. One of these days, and I’ll do it. One of these days.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 01 September 2014 06:29 PM

One of these days, and I’ll do it. One of these days.

If not sooner.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Definitely looks like an RPG. I play those too but I’m especially intrigued. I am very interested in RPGs with adventure elements and adventures with RPG elements. But I didn’t want to buy any more games this year.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 01 September 2014 04:03 PM

What does the patch do? I installed the gamersgate version but I’ts already patched.

It fixes a number of problems some players had but I can’t remember what as I didn’t experience them except for the difficulty in finding some of the plants - I found myself having to keep wandering around until it rained again to try & locate them. Apparently one of the things the patch does is to make them more abundant!

millenia - 02 September 2014 03:09 AM

Definitely looks like an RPG. I play those too but I’m especially intrigued. I am very interested in RPGs with adventure elements and adventures with RPG elements. But I didn’t want to buy any more games this year.

It’s VERY cheap at the moment millennia!  Laughing

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Ok, I admit it, I bought it. This is why I never make New Year’s resolutions.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the game. Very interesting, the story kept me hooked and had some good puzzles that involved exploration of the village and characters. Specially liked the ritual preparation and parts (although there one birth date I had to look in a walkthrough and I’m still not sure where I was supposed to get it…).
Most negative was the bad combat, apecially apparent towards the end (fighting zombies…) and some quests that involved randomly looking through the map to spot a character. Potion making didn’t annoy me, the ingredients were plenty.
A flawed but unique adventure, a sequel would’ve been welcome where maybe the developers could develop some of the action/RPG aspects of the game. Thanks for the recommendation.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m really pleased that you liked the game wilco but I was hoping if the sequel ever happened it would be essentially an adventure game with less combat or at least make it skippable! I don’t really see AGSotD as a recommendations thread - more a glimpse of games of the past & present, good & bad!, but it’s great if the screenshot posted attracts someones interest in the game!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top