• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 23 August 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kentucky Route Zero, Act II (2013) is a beautiful, surreal, magical, dreamlike journey to the unknown. An experience, open to interpretation. I chose this particular screenshot with the eagle because at some points I got the nagging feeling I was missing things that American players easily relate to.

I love the dog. I kept looking for him, oh here he comes…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Looks nice but I don’t like episodic games.
Then again I don’t like most of the stuff, so there you go.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sometimes I wonder why I’m still doing this. There’s no point if nobody is interested.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Because the world would suck without scenies.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 23 August 2014 07:39 PM

Sometimes I wonder why I’m still doing this. There’s no point if nobody is interested.

You really wanted it to win the Community Playthrough vote, didn’t you? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 23 August 2014 07:46 PM

You really wanted it to win the Community Playthrough vote, didn’t you? Tongue

What on earth do you mean? If I’d wanted to influence the voting, which I didn’t, I would have posted it while people were still voting.

This isn’t about the CP. It’s about the AGSotD.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I have a question -  why don’t everyone who wanted to play KRZ, play and discuss it here? As I gather, it’s not that long and not that hard so it could be played along with another game, like Syberia. Hell, why don’t we all play the games we voted for and discuss it? What’s wrong with this world?! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 23 August 2014 07:50 PM

What on earth do you mean?

Just an (obviously failed) attempt at a lighthearted jab. Think nothing of it.

This isn’t about the CP. It’s about the AGSotD.

I know. That’s what makes the AGSotD such a life-draining job and why I don’t envy the people who do it.
But I DO really appreciate the daily scene. No day on the forum is complete without its AGSotD…

diego - 23 August 2014 08:00 PM

WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Karlok - 23 August 2014 05:01 AM

I chose this particular screenshot with the eagle because at some points I got the nagging feeling I was missing things that American players easily relate to.

Do we have any Americans here? Calling all Americans!

You’re right about the eagle and I must admit I feel slightly inequipped to lead a playthrough because I know nothing about Kentucky (the state). It is an accessible and abstract game but still, it would be nice to have someone explain the American-isms.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This thread has over 200 views since writing this post. I’d say some people are showing an interest and it’s a great way to learn about games you haven’t tried.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I check in most days for these threads - I just rarely have anything to contribute, so I stay quiet Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Regarding the eagle, I’m not sure of the symbolism in the game because I haven’t played it yet.  It could mean anything from big government to the preservation of nature or a native American spirit.  How the people react to it will most likely reveal the meaning.

I do like the look of the game and plan to purchase it soon.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I would have agreed with you if you had said “not too many people” instead of “nobody”. I’m not nobody, you know.
Maybe I’m not much of somebody, but I’m certainly not nobody (I checked it).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

As I said before, there were many games that I first learned about from your AG SotD thread, and the interesting commentary made me play them. Thanks again for the good job btw. Thumbs Up So, I suspect that one of the reasons you do this is for getting people to know more games they barely knew.
But not commenting doesn’t mean no interest.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, everybody! Smile (and that includes zobraks*)

Timovieman does have a point. Kentucky Route Zero was on my list for August (yes, I plan one month ahead Gasp) and I waited till after the CP voting because I expected people who’d played the game to respond to one of my favorites.

I’m glad people do appreciate the AGSotD pics. This may not be immediately apparent from my complaint about the lack of response, but I’ve often wondered if I was the right person for the job. Before Chrissie and I took over, I discussed it with a few people in PM. I realize we all have different expectations and some people couldn’t care less about obscure games and want mostly pics from the fifty or so most popular adventures. I wouldn’t want to do that 5 days a week for a whole year, I would lose interest.

But I do try to balance obscure and well-known, old and new. That’s one reason I plan a month ahead. One out of five pics is from a game released in 2012-2014. My rough estimate is that about half the pics are from well-known games that many people have played, including the themed weeks and midweeks.

I like Diego’s idea of spontaneously playing games together, like KRZ or Ace Ventura, but I’m afraid it won’t work. Not enough people interested, too many CPs going on at the same time. 

Anyway, on to today’s AGSotD. An obscure one… Naughty

*Zobraks, you’re the only one who responded, you’re obviously not nobody, so why should the nobody shoe fit.  Tongue

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Karlok - 23 August 2014 05:01 AM

Kentucky Route Zero, Act II (2013) is a beautiful, surreal, magical, dreamlike journey to the unknown. An experience, open to interpretation. I chose this particular screenshot with the eagle because at some points I got the nagging feeling I was missing things that American players easily relate to.

I love the dog. I kept looking for him, oh here he comes…

I’ve played the first two episodes of KRZ, but not the third. I agree that it is an experience very much open to interpretation. I thought the eagle was partly a symbol of freedom—the ability to leave a place with rules and structure and go to a place—the forest—with very little evidence of rules or bureaucracy (at least, as far as I could tell).

I’m an American (grew up in Idaho and now live in a suburb of New York City). Since the US is so large, cultures within it actually differ rather radically. The character of the world of KRZ is much closer to that of rural Idaho than to suburban New York, for instance. I’ve recently driven through parts of northern Tennessee, which I assume are very similar to Kentucky. And I’ve heard rumors of a highway that goes through Kentucky that actually has no designation.

The forest in the second episode, with the country/bluegrass music in the background, reminded me of the American pioneer spirit. Going off into the frontier and living off the land.

Slight location spoiler.

[spoiler]The church converted into a government office—I’ve never seen that. But I have seen churches converted into private houses or apartment buildings, and I’ve eaten at a restaurant that used to be a church—Rembrandt’s in Eagle, Idaho.[/spoiler]

What happened to the congregation from the church in KRZ is so odd, I can’t imagine it occurring in “real life.” Though you never know.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top