• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! We’re up and running.

Report in when you’ve got the game loaded.

Section 1 will start on Monday August 25, and will last three days. I will post the end point of the section before Monday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m all ready to go.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lined up, locked and loaded.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Purchased and loaded. Started game to make sure it would play. I am going to play in expert level. Nothing is timed and you can still skip if needed.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played the intro - it looks great so I’m ready!

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m ready!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Game bought, installed and tested. so I’m ready to go.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m having a bit of difficulty. At Iz’s suggestion I signed up for Imgur image storage, and managed to upload a test screenshot from the game. Now I’ve got a load of screenshots and no longer seem to be able to upload them. Not sure what I’m going to do now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Game loaded and ready to go!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ll see if I can manage to hop in on this. I bought the game a while ago and it might be something nice (less stressful) to play between RPGs. Already installed but didn’t test it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tim and Becky made some informative posts about the game, but moving them in here would place them awkwardly at the very beginning of the thread. That’s why I’ll just quote them:

rtrooney - 19 August 2014 10:42 AM

Looks like Angelica Weaver - Catch Me When You Can is the winner.

The game is available from various sources, but I strongly suggest you download it from Big Fish games….particularly if you live outside the US. I also recommend you get the SE (standard edition) rather than the CE (collector’s edition) version. For starters, it’s less expensive. Plus, the playthrough will only cover the standard edition material. Also note that there is a free walkthrough available on the same page where you purchase the game. It’s probably worth grabbing a link to the walkthrough.

I will open a new thread on Friday, August 22 named Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver. We’ll start the playthrough on Monday, August 25. The 90-second tracking shot I’ve raved about is part of the introduction, so, once you start the game for the first time, you have no choice but to watch it. Let me know on the new thread when you have the game loaded.

I’ve divided the game into approximately seven sections. Each one will take about an hour to play. I’m allotting three days for each section, so the whole game will be over in about 21 days.

Let’s have some fun.

Side note: Even though this is a casual game, there are a few very difficult puzzles. There is one I’ve never completed, even with the benefit of a walkthrough. That’s what the Skip button is for.  Smile Don’t be discouraged if you have to use it.

Becky - 21 August 2014 09:13 AM

I loaded the game and chose “Casual” mode and played one screen and then looked for a way to switch to the other modes: “Advanced” and “Expert.” I couldn’t find a way to switch and I couldn’t find any information about switching. I suspect you can’t. Mini Frown Switch.

This is what the game says about the modes:

Casual
Tools & areas of interest sparkle on occasion
Puzzle skip possible after 3 minutes
Hints recharge at a steady rate

Advanced
Tools & areas of interest don’t sparkle
Puzzle skip possible after 5 minutes
Hints recharge slowly

Expert
Tools & areas of interest don’t sparkle
Dreamcatchers are removed; hints by recharge only (on the Casual level—and, I’m assuming, the Advanced level—you can find Dreamcatcher icons in the gameworld that increase the number of hints)
Puzzle skip possible after 10 minutes
All tool messages are removed

rtrooney - 21 August 2014 07:08 PM

I would suggest that people who regularly play casual games chose whatever difficulty level they want. For those that will be doing this for the first time, I suggest starting on Casual. The first three sections are relatively short, so if you feel it’s too easy, replay at the next higher level. Unlike some other casual games, you cannot change the difficulty level in mid-game.

Also, for those new to casual adventures, there is no “Save Game” function. So there is no way to go back a replay a sequence. When you restart a game you don’t load it from a saved game. It picks up from where you last quit the game.

As far as I know there are no timed puzzles regardless of difficulty level.

As I’m trying to collect screenshots, and that is best done at the easiest level, I can only tell you what I remember about the 2nd and 3rd difficulty levels.

On level one hints charge in one minute. Collecting “dreamcatcher” icons means you don’t have to wait for hints you recharge. You have to wait 1 minute after starting a puzzle before you can skip it. The game says that there are “sparkles” but I’m not so sure. I’ve seen sparkles where there is nothing to do. It does highlight where the hidden object scenes are.

The only thing I remember about level two is that the Skip button takes quite a bit longer to charge. I don’t remember whether there are any dreamcatchers available in level two. I think you still get a Hint button, but absent a dreamcatcher, you have to wait for it to recharge.

Playing level three you get nothing. So either you solve it yourself or consult a walkthrough. As Becky and I have reported there are one or two puzzles neither of us have been able to solve even using a walkthrough. So play this level at your own peril.

Anyway, I’ve got the game loaded, and I’m ready to go. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 23 August 2014 11:34 AM

I’m having a bit of difficulty. At Iz’s suggestion I signed up for Imgur image storage, and managed to upload a test screenshot from the game. Now I’ve got a load of screenshots and no longer seem to be able to upload them. Not sure what I’m going to do now.

I always use Imgur for my AGSotD pics. Works like a charm for me. What seems to be the problem?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It seems that everybody is up and running. So rather than wait until Monday morning my time to start, let’s give the players across the pond a small head start.

We will play the game until we get to this scene

Brick Puzzle

When you have solved this puzzle you will be transported to London. Stop there. We’ll pick up from that point on Thursday, August 28.

Side thanks the Chrissie and Iz for assisting to get Imgur working properly. We’ll see if it works. Well, it half works. Now, if you can tell me how to get rid of the excess white space between the bottom of the picture and the following text it will be greatly appreciated. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Good to hear about starting early, because I already did. I won’t have any time to play the game until Thursday.
I got up to the point you said. It is very different playing these games with all the dialogue and cut scenes. I’m so used to clicking through them, I did so automatically and missed a bit. The journal does fill you in. I’m not taking notes as I would with an adventure.
Spoiler below:
I don’t use a cell phone, so I spent some time looking for a match or light to see the dark spots until I noticed that the cell phone had a flashlight icon. The HOG was routine. I liked the brick puzzle.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  I did the same thing regarding the light, Colpet.  The brick puzzle was fairly easy but fun.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I swear I looked in that blasted trash can at least twenty times before I found the last brick.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top