• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 17 August 2014

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished The Samaritan Paradox (2014) this morning. Although I don’t like the currently popular retro trend, the pixelated graphics don’t stop me from playing those games. There are some very good ones like Gemini Rue and Resonance. So I was looking forward to The Samaritan Paradox but I have mixed feelings about almost every aspect. Intriguing story which kept me playing, contrived and somewhat disappointing ending. Challenging puzzles, some timed sequences where you have to do the whole thing again if you happen to stand on the wrong pixel. Writing and voiceacting okay. Still, I hope Petter Ljungqvist will develop more games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

This is another game I picked up very cheap in the recent GoG sales after reading some positive comments about it so found your view interesting Karlok. How difficult are the timed sequences say in comparison to Gemini Rue?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, an interesting and mature story with some clever puzzles and pretty decent voice acting. Looks good too!

I do have to agree that the ending feels a bit abrupt though which is a bit of a shame as if this had been sorted out I would have no hesitation in saying it is a really great game.

Still well worth the time and money though for anyone into investigative games.

How difficult are the timed sequences say in comparison to Gemini Rue?

From memory I think there is only one major timed sequence (played it a little while ago though so may have forgotten) and while it certainly took me a few goes, the solution was pretty ingenious when I realised it! In other words, when you work out what you have to do it isn’t too difficult. I’m generally not a massive fan of “action” sequences in adventure games but this was OK with me, more like the timed sequences in Blackstone Chronicles really.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 18 August 2014 08:23 AM

This is another game I picked up very cheap in the recent GoG sales after reading some positive comments about it so found your view interesting Karlok. How difficult are the timed sequences say in comparison to Gemini Rue?

I don’t remember problems with the timed puzzles in Gemini Rue, with the exception of the annoying shooting sequences which I lost many times. There’s no shooting in the Samaritan Paradox, but there are several short timed sequences most of which I didn’t see coming, so I hadn’t saved. When you mess up, the game automatically restores you. BUT, and this is my complaint, not to the moment just before you made your mistake. Example (NOT from the game, I’m making this up): you pick up a rope, tie it to a tree, tie the other end to another tree across the road in order to trip someone up. That person falls, but he immediately gets up and kills you with his sword. Oops! The game automatically restores you to the point where you have to pick up the rope, tie it to a tree… etcetera.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pan
Frown
TimovieMan

I went “huh?” when I looked at that screenshot as I was expecting a first-person 3D game. Turns out I was confusing The Samaritan Paradox with The Stanley Parable.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 18 August 2014 12:37 PM

Pan
Frown
TimovieMan

I went “huh?” when I looked at that screenshot as I was expecting a first-person 3D game. Turns out I was confusing The Samaritan Paradox with The Stanley Parable.

That reminds me - I’ve always, without ANY good reason, been mixing up The Experiment aka Experience112 and Overclocked – a History of Violence. I’ve never played ANY of the two titles, but I could never tell if I’m thinking of the game that is called The Experiment or Overclocked. (weird, I know)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top