• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

I believe you Jackal. I’m looking forward to reading the article!

$ 235,566 now! Thank you very much to those that have pledged! If you haven’t pledged yet, what’s holding you back? If you’ve never played a Tex game, what’s holding you back from that? http://www.GOG.com

For those of you that have played the games, what are some of your favorite parts?

In Under a Killing Moon, I really like it where… Tex meets Clint the Bum and discovers that he’s not an alcoholic, but a choco-holic (a funny parody take on a stereotype). I like meeting Beek Nariz with the elephant trunk for a nose, and how he mentions noses or makes nose puns with almost everyone he talks about. I love the piano in the Golden Gate Hotel where Tex sings the “Hot and Cold” song. I love the “you have a fax” voice that plays when Tex has a fax (and that fact that he has a fax machine in the 2040s). I like how he says “Hey, I can see my office from up here!” while looking at the Earth from the Moon Child. And the Tex quote “You mean to tell me the world is going to end on Thursday? Damn it! I don’t get my paycheck until Friday!” is one of my favorites, and is great Tex humor!

In The Pandora Directive, I really like it where… Tex goes pre-paid by Gordon and accidently rips his check in two while thinking “things are looking up”. I love how Tex gets his electronic shop credit card shot by Zack Williams and then has to pay for all of the junk that helped him save the world in Under a Killing Moon. And I like how he keeps having to buy more junk in this game to save the world again. I love how Tex has to rifle through Rook’s garbage, and how he says he has to do that during every case, saying what a dirty rotten job he has. I love how he runs into Pug’s head in the morgue. I love the creepy atmosphere in Roswell, as well as all of the puzzles and traps in the Mayan temple. The puzzle boxes also provided some good puzzles! The “Luscious Lucy Luv” dance scene at the Fuchsia Flamingo is great too.

In Overseer, I really like it where… Tex tries to climb across a chasm using a makeshift bridge, but then crashes into a top secret science lab. I love it where Tex has to play around with a gorilla using a banana. I love the virtual chess game scene with Tex and Gideon, and how the powerful “Let the Match Begin” (Overseer theme song) plays. I love exploring Gideon’s mansion—this part of the game makes it look like it was made in the mid-2000s! And Alcatraz is great too, with fun puzzles.

These games have had a huge impact on practically everyone that’s played them. I remember watching a “Textimonial” video about a player who decided to become a private detective because of the Tex Murphy games!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m really surprised at how well this is doing. The daily amount is going up after the two week-end days when it got down to $10,000 — and they now need to average less than $9,000/day to reach their goal, so they should get there and above.

I thought there were only a handful of us who loved Tex (or, more accurately, who knew about him), but it seems like I was wrong. Well, I’m not complaining. Cool

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

There are two types of gamers in the world—those who are hardcore Tex Murphy fans that love all of his games, and those that have never played a Tex Murphy game.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I want to like Tex, I do… but he doesn’t seem to like me. I tried to join in the playthrough but the game wouldn’t stop crashing. I’m hoping it might work better when I get a new computer. Until then… do I back a game I might never play? Other than that, Tex seems like everything I like in a story - sci fi, detective, humourous…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-08-29

PM

I haven´t played any of the Tex games ‘yet’, but they are on my list of games to play. Have already bought them from GOG. I am not sure if I should start with “Mean Streets” or “Under a Killing Moon” though?

Thanks to their great pitch video that really won me over, I have pledged 50$  Money Mouth

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Majsan - 22 May 2012 02:11 PM

I am not sure if I should start with “Mean Streets” or “Under a Killing Moon” though?

welll, that depends on your tolerance for games made in 1989 Tongue
Mean streets has some frustrating mechanics (the car) and is almost as dated as it gets.
Under a killing moon will give you a much better idea of the style of the new game.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Majsan - 22 May 2012 02:11 PM

I am not sure if I should start with “Mean Streets” or “Under a Killing Moon” though?

In fact, you can also start with Overseer. Although it is the last in the series, it is actually a remake of Mean Streets (the whole game is played as a flashback), so story-wise you dont miss out on anything by playing it first.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

On a side note, RPS has just got a new article about the kickstarter - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/22/chris-jones-talks-tex-bringing-back-tex-murphy/#more-108628

One interesting point noted there is that apart from the kickstarter, they will also be putting in $250K of their own money. So if the kickstarter goes through, the total budget for the game will be about $700K.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Good article.

There is a new video up from Aaron about the gameplay.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2003-11-19

PM

There’s a liveplay of UAKM going on right now if you aren’t familiar with Tex Murphy:

http://www.twitch.tv/sbenrap

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

A new video update was added, discussing story paths (getting straight into advancing the plot or delving a bit more into background). I remember they mentioned about the possibility of adding more modes of play than just difficulty levels in a GOG interview so that different types of players can play the game how they wish. Though also in a Adventure-Treff interview about the Kickstarter they said they would like to have it where you can choose how your character acts, e.g. a lighthearted good guy or a dark selfish anti-hero for multiple endings.

Sounds like a lot of possible paths!  Gasp

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora. A new Adventure Game with Adventure Game with Noir Detective and Sci-Fi themes upcoming.

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

skeeter, you could try Overseer. That game might work better than UAKM/TPD since it has always been a Windows game and doesn’t need to use DosBox. Contacting GOG support with the crashing issues would probably help too. If you like humorous sci-fi detective stories, you will love ALL of the Tex games. Fedora will continue this tradition, and will run just fine on modern computers.

If you’ve never played a Tex game before, I would recommend starting with Under a Killing Moon (second best game). You could also start with The Pandora Directive (best game), or Overseer (third best). However, if you plan to play all five games, I would say start with Mean Streets, but keep in mind that the last three games are a million times better than the first two.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Seems I’m going to have to take back my words.  Sealed Lips Or at least hedge a little.  In speaking with AC/CJ more this week, it seems they’ve decided to make the Kickstarter campaign a kind of litmus test for the viability of the series.  They do have plans for another game if KS falls through, but if the campaign doesn’t meet its goal, they may just view that as the writing on the wall and not bother. 

But it’s all moot, right?  It’ll make it.  Wink

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

Jackal when will the article that your working on be posted it sounds like you will have some really good stuff. 

I wonder how many people are weighting to decide how much to contribute until the last few days to see how much will be needed to reach the funding goa.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Ours will be up tomorrow (Friday).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top