• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 11 August 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok (2011) is a 1st person perspective puzzle focused game in which you are hired to infiltrate the abandoned vast indoor city Wittard’s Utopia to take photographs for a magazine article.

I found the creepy atmosphere, heightened by incidental music & sound effects, wonderfully immersive & the hint of former ostentation in the decaying environments impressive.  But alas, after playing through about a 3rd of the game I found myself thoroughly bored. Apart from some info from the spirit of deceased architect Baron Wittard via a Nordic amulet found early on, there just weren’t enough plot elements to entice me to keep looking for runestones, symbols, & clues to solving some of the many puzzles. It’s a very flimsy tale based on Nordic myth with the little substance there is turning up too little & late for me!   

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I am always encouraged when I look at horrifically filthy kitchens like this one. I instantly compare them to my own kitchen. So what if I haven’t washed the dishes in a week? It looks like these weren’t washed in months! Okay, maybe the owners of this kitchen are all dead now, so they have a bit of an excuse. Doesn’t matter. Feelings of gratification still pour over me.

Some day, I would like play a game made up almost entirely of kitchens, each dirtier than the last. (Faust: Seven Games of the Soul had seven bathrooms—why not a game with seven kitchens?)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I once considered doing a kitchen quiz… way too many kitchens! I bet the number of adventures without a kitchen of some kind can be counted on one hand. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 11 August 2014 11:09 AM

I am always encouraged when I look at horrifically filthy kitchens like this one. I instantly compare them to my own kitchen. So what if I haven’t washed the dishes in a week? It looks like these weren’t washed in months!

That’s just reminded me, I need to go & do the dishes ........I’ll be back soon!  Laughing

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 11 August 2014 11:17 AM

I once considered doing a kitchen quiz… way too many kitchens! I bet the number of adventures without a kitchen of some kind can be counted on one hand. Smile

Like libraries but HandsFree pulled that one off so why not kitchens? (I don’t have any plans myself BTW!)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

When I see this kind of decrepit and creepy images related to common places, either kitchens or bathrooms or just a simple room, I can not help in my mind to make a connection to Silent Hill. That feeling of neglect and abandonment that manages to create an unhealthy atmosphere, and from my point of view helps me tremendously to get involved more and more into the story. I love games that can create such sensations.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Renacimiento - 11 August 2014 11:45 AM

When I see this kind of decrepit and creepy images related to common places, either kitchens or bathrooms or just a simple room, I can not help in my mind to make a connection to Silent Hill. That feeling of neglect and abandonment that manages to create an unhealthy atmosphere, and from my point of view helps me tremendously to get involved more and more into the story. I love games that can create such sensations.

I did play the 1st Silent Hill Game Renacimiento & really enjoyed it so I see what you are saying. From what I can remember that game has a much better story, although it’s a hybrid survival horror, than Baron Wittard. For gamers that like to be immersed in a solitary world of exploration & puzzle solving, oblivious to story, Baron Wittard might just rock your boat!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 11 August 2014 12:05 PM
Renacimiento - 11 August 2014 11:45 AM

I did play the 1st Silent Hill Game Renacimiento & really enjoyed it so I see what you are saying. From what I can remember that game has a much better story, although it’s a hybrid survival horror, than Baron Wittard. For gamers that like to be immersed in a solitary world of exploration & puzzle solving, oblivious to story, Baron Wittard might just rock your boat!

Yes, it has a very deep and disturbed story or at least used to be. And it’s true what you say, it is a hybrid that also falls within the category of “survival horror”. And thanks for the suggestion with Baron Wittard, I’ll keep that in mind. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Baron Wittard is one of those games where you’re constantly reminded of the beauty, luxury and liveliness that used to be in the place where now the ruins lie and which is deserted. What other games am I thinking with the motive like that?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 11 August 2014 06:31 PM

Baron Wittard is one of those games where you’re constantly reminded of the beauty, luxury and liveliness that used to be in the place where now the ruins lie and which is deserted. What other games am I thinking with the motive like that?

Dark Fall.
Scratches.
Morpheus.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 11 August 2014 06:41 PM

Dark Fall.
Scratches.
Morpheus.

Nice. If this was “Name ___ Adventure Games” thread, it would be your turn to set the task.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There’s a lesson in this for all of us would-be Utopia overlords: Don’t bother trying to build one if you can’t be bothered to wash your dishes!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top