• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 28 July 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

GAME OVER - Death Week Special

Although there are other reasons why you may come across a point where you can’t proceed in a game more often than not it’s ‘GAME OVER’ due to the demise of the protagonist. Did they say or do the wrong thing, venture into a place they shouldn’t have done or at the wrong time, get caught sneaking around, lose a fight etc. Was it expected i.e. a possibility or annoyingly sudden & did the game automatically re-load to a point just before or did you have to go back to your last save – very infuriating if you’ve been playing for hours since! 

This week Karlok & I have collaborated to present a variety of some of those GAME OVER scenes & the 1st of my 2 screenshots comes from Moebius: Empire Rising (2014). You won’t encounter the scenario if you follow the flow/direction of the game but I was curious to see what happened if you didn’t so the outcome wasn’t a surprise!

It’s not very obvious that protagonist Malachi Rector has just been fatally shot in this very un-dramatic scene. On conclusion after Malachi is seen slumped dead on the floor the game automatically throws you back to an earlier scene following advice as to what you should have done!

*SPOILER ALERT*

“YOU HAVE DISRUPTED THE PATTERN”

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

chrissie - 28 July 2014 03:27 AM

It’s not very obvious that protagonist Malachi Rector has just been fatally shot in this very un-dramatic scene.

Maybe not very dramatic, but probably much more realistic physically than being thrown backwards with blood spurting out everywhere, like you normally see in games and movies.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Zifnab - 28 July 2014 03:59 AM

Maybe not very dramatic, but probably much more realistic physically than being thrown backwards with blood spurting out everywhere, like you normally see in games and movies.

I remember watching a film with a gathering of a lot of people (possibly for a wedding?) where assassins using a laser (from a distance) slice everyone in half horizontally at about waist level - after that happens there is a time lapse before you actually see what happens i.e. blood seeping & the gradual collapse of the bodies. (What film does that scene come from? - I thought from Kill Bill 1 or 2? but couldn’t find it!) 

In Moebius, you see this scene immediately (with no ‘gratuitous’ effects to come!) but I’m guessing that at such short range the make of weapon makes a difference? - if it had been a shorn-off shotgun?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 28 July 2014 10:45 AM

I remember watching a film with a gathering of a lot of people (possibly for a wedding?) where assassins using a laser (from a distance) slice everyone in half horizontally at about waist level - after that happens there is a time lapse before you actually see what happens i.e. blood seeping & the gradual collapse of the bodies. (What film does that scene come from? - I thought from Kill Bill 1 or 2? but couldn’t find it!)

Sounds almost like a mix between the opening sequence of Ghost Ship (where a thin wire cord snaps and slices an entire ballroom of people in half) and a scene from Resident Evil (where a laser room slices whoever tries to enter). See here and here. (do not watch if you’re squeamish)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 28 July 2014 10:55 AM

Sounds almost like a mix between the opening sequence of Ghost Ship (where a thin wire cord snaps and slices an entire ballroom of people in half) and a scene from Resident Evil (where a laser room slices whoever tries to enter). See here and here. (do not watch if you’re squeamish)

Thanks Tim but I’ve never watched Ghost Ship - I followed your link & not to knock it, the game I remember presents a similar scenario but it’s a tad more subtle & artistic!  Smile

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t finished Moebius yet Shifty Eyed (so many interesting games…) but I will and I definitely want to see this death scene.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Wait - Malachi can actually die in Cairo? How?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jehane - 01 August 2014 05:10 AM

Wait - Malachi can actually die in Cairo? How?

Don’t help or look for David

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Ah, you mean that when Malachi sees the guys attacking David in the alleyway and doesn’t help him, he’ll end up with those shady guys from the bar as his protectors and will get shot? Now that’s a nice way to show someone that they’ve made a very bad decision Smile I encountered another way to die, btw. Just try to kiss Dominique when in her bedroom And there’s definitely another game over although it doesn’t result in a death scene.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jehane - 01 August 2014 06:07 AM

Ah, you mean that when Malachi sees the guys attacking David in the alleyway and doesn’t help him, he’ll end up with those shady guys from the bar as his protectors and will get shot? Now that’s a nice way to show someone that they’ve made a very bad decision Smile I encountered another way to die, btw. Just try to kiss Dominique when in her bedroom And there’s definitely another game over although it doesn’t result in a death scene.

My scene comes from Malachi going on his own & not using any security at all. I thought it was a more interesting scene if you do hire the shady guys.

Thanks for the interesting tip on the another way to get a GAME OVER Jehane!

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

You’re welcome Smile I thought that it was time for Malachi to be charming but didn’t see that coming *g* Another way to reach a game over is this: When in Qatar, you need to distract the soldier in order to detonate a handgrenade to open the grate that will lead down into the tunnels. To distract him, you use some kind of flashing grenade (can’t remember the name) while at the same time holding the remote for the “real” grenade. If you press that button too soon or too late, the guard will discover what you’re trying to do, the distraction won’t work and you’ve destroyed the pattern However, you don’t die in this scenario, the game just tells you that you’ve screwed up and that you can retry.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top