• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 23 July 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A typical screenshot from Rhem (2002) by Knut Müller. A puzzle game set in a barren but immense world. No, it’s actually one big maze filled with the logical Myst-type puzzles I like: pull a lever, press a button and something happens in another part of the game.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 23 July 2014 03:47 AM

pull a lever, press a button and something happens in another part of the game.

They (the people who have played it) say the only problem is that the place where you pull a lever/press a button and the place where something happens are usually miles apart.

Did I tell you I always wanted to play those RHEM games and never did so?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 23 July 2014 03:54 AM

Did I tell you I always wanted to play those RHEM games and never did so?

It’s not too late!

Let’s have a moment of truth here. What is the last game you played? I’m guessing Bosch’s Damnation, but not counting your beloved Carol Reed?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 23 July 2014 04:37 AM

Let’s have a moment of truth here.

OK, I’m all for truth.
These AG screen of the day topics somehow always turn into my blogging gaming confessions lately.

What is the last game you played? I’m guessing Bosch’s Damnation, ...

Right you are.

... but not counting your beloved Carol Reed?

The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time (back in January). Forced by Diego.
I know I don’t play much (AGs), but I have many other interests, other kinds of adventures.
Christ, only living here where I am is a survival horror in itself*!

There went another (true) confession by me.

*floods, locusts, tornadoes, unemployment, inflation, wars (every now and then)... you name it

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

RHEM 2 and RHEM 3 are my favorites in the series, but this first game is a good place to start, since the puzzles are a little easier than in later games. If you have a gaming partner who also enjoys tough puzzles, the RHEM games are fun to play together. Two heads are always better than one when there are significant challenges to address.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve been very happy wandering around Rhem since I bought the 3 CD Mac version of the game directly from Knut Mueller 12 years ago.  His games give my brain a workout but I enjoy the logic of them very much.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 23 July 2014 03:47 AM

No, it’s actually one big maze filled with the logical Myst-type puzzles I like: pull a lever, press a button and something happens in another part of the game.

You know what I hate about Myst-type puzzles? Pull a lever, press a button and NOTHING HAPPENS! Sure, something happened in another part of the game, but YOU DON’T KNOW IT YET! GIVE ME A FRICKIN’ SOUND AT LEAST, A CLICKING SOUND THAT SOMETHING DID HAPPEN, FOR GOD SAKE!!

Uh, sorry. But I feel much better now, thank you. Do we get a clicking sound in Rhem, Karloff?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 23 July 2014 05:57 AM

Christ, only living here where I am is a survival horror in itself*!

There went another (true) confession by me.

*floods, locusts, tornadoes, unemployment, inflation, wars (every now and then)... you name it

Locusts! Tell us all about the locusts!

diego - 23 July 2014 06:41 PM

You know what I hate about Myst-type puzzles? Pull a lever, press a button and NOTHING HAPPENS! Sure, something happened in another part of the game, but YOU DON’T KNOW IT YET! GIVE ME A FRICKIN’ SOUND AT LEAST, A CLICKING SOUND THAT SOMETHING DID HAPPEN, FOR GOD SAKE!!

Uh, sorry. But I feel much better now, thank you. Do we get a clicking sound in Rhem, Karloff?

Dear Diego, here’s your fairy godmother Karloff.*  Wish granted: clicking and other frickin’ sounds present in Rhem. And because I’m so very loving and lovable I’ll grant you a second wish: clicking and other frickin’ sounds present in Myst/Riven and Mystian games.

*We have to thank another fairygodmother for the catching phrase Myst-for-plumbers. Where are they now…  Cry

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Becky - 23 July 2014 09:25 AM

RHEM 2 and RHEM 3 are my favorites in the series, but this first game is a good place to start, since the puzzles are a little easier than in later games.

2 and 3 are my favorites too, and I would say they are also the best place to start. The first RHEM can be daunting to a beginner, because you can go almost anywhere right from the start, a little bit like Riven. RHEM 2 and 3 start from small areas, which gradually expand as you progress. When you push a button there is only one or two things it can potentially do.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 23 July 2014 08:27 PM

Read on, foreigners.
Read on, natives.
There’s a better picture on the second link.
P.S. And to think some people reprimanded me for saying I live in Afro-Europe…

*We have to thank another fairygodmother for the catching phrase
Myst-for-plumbers.

I’m just laughing my ass off!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 24 July 2014 04:20 AM

Read on, foreigners.

*From the news article* :“While I defended the house with a broom, they jumped on me and I was bitten on arms, legs and neck!”

Gasp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 24 July 2014 06:03 AM

*From the news article* :“While I defended the house with a broom, they jumped on me and I was bitten on arms, legs and neck!”

Gasp

Yeah, I’m shocked too! Swarms of black biting cockroaches sounds like hell. Experts say they “do not feed on plants”. So what do they feed on, animals and humans?  Sick

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

And because I’m so very loving and lovable I’ll grant you a second wish: clicking and other frickin’ sounds present in Myst/Riven and Mystian games.

Tongue Karloff, I know you love Myst-type games, but admit it: there ARE Myst-clones where you pull a lever and hear NOTHING! Not a rumble in the distance, not a CLINKIN’ SOUND in the background… NADA! Then, you push it back to the original position thinking it does nothing, and then you’re stuck when you arrive in a couple of hours to the SEVENTH PLANET of the ELEVENTH WORLD in front of the TWELFTH GATE which is closed!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 24 July 2014 07:48 AM

And because I’m so very loving and lovable I’ll grant you a second wish: clicking and other frickin’ sounds present in Myst/Riven and Mystian games.

Tongue Karloff, I know you love Myst-type games, but admit it: there ARE Myst-clones where you pull a lever and hear NOTHING! Not a rumble in the distance, not a CLINKIN’ SOUND in the background… NADA! Then, you push it back to the original position thinking it does nothing, and then you’re stuck when you arrive in a couple of hours to the SEVENTH PLANET of the ELEVENTH WORLD in front of the TWELFTH GATE which is closed!

Names! I need the FRIGGIN’ NAMES of those HORRIBLE MYST CLONES!

Tongue

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Zobraks will tell you names, he’s the official statistician.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Copout, Diego.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top