• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Reviews Rating (DEBATE!)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-19

PM

2 points I would like to make:

Due to the enormous variety of adventure games - and as a few have alluded to - I think the reviews should go through some sort of editorial board, to get a fairer consensus.

I also think that it would also be beneficial to this end to categorize reviews. Let’s say to start with, episodic games as opposed to full-fledged adventures. That’s the most obvious one to begin with. I mean, sheesh, Tell-Tale episodes getting the same rating as Gabriel Knight 3??

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Leaving aside the logistics of categorising reviews for the moment, what makes episodic games any less full-fledged adventures? My experience of them is that playing episodes can be quite like playing games in a series, but with the stories of the individual games more closely tied together. About the only thing splitting them is length, and even that isn’t a hard and fast rule. I’ve played individual episodes with game lengths greater than other entire games in the past.

You could also consider a season of episodes as a single “full-fledged adventure”, so are you advocating two sets of reviews, one for each episode and one for a season? Otherwise your categorisation means seasons are unfairly penalised, even if as a whole they are much more substantial than other “full-fledged adventures”. More logistical complications and more work.

So should we be splitting games by length? Not really a practical possibility as game length is a very subjective thing, depending a lot on both a player’s abilities, and how much time they spend on anything outside the main story path.

Essentially, I think if you start trying to categorise reviews, you’ll end up with so many potentially valid criteria for splitting them, you’ll end up with each game in its own category, or individual reviews in other words.

As for the editorial board idea, this has already been addressed.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

An editorial board for consensus simply isn’t feasible for all kinds of reasons.  Usually only the reviewer has played the game by the time the article is posted.  Waiting around for multiple people to buy their own copies after launch, then play it and discuss it would drag on interminably.  And if we did it for one, we’d need to do it for all.

Even if it were possible, then you’d just end up with a review that may or may not match the score.  Unless you’re suggesting the reviewer be forced to write the consensus opinion and not his or her own.  I would never ask a writer to do that, as it would be disingenuous.

Also, there’s really no such thing as a consensus in such matters (unless everyone actually agrees, which would rather defeat the point).  There may be an average (one person thinks 4, another thinks 2, the game gets a 3), but that’s a compromise, not a consensus. 

As for categorizing stuff, we already have classifications for freeware and casual games.  I really don’t see the need to classify episodes when at least 90% of them indicate they’re episodic right in the title.  And if they don’t, a review will always mention it immediately, including the teaser text announcing it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am Glad that Mr.Steve is considering the issue as well as his opinion surly counts much (respect).

but if i am take the chance and open another issue away from the episodes rating ........is the fear i notice for judging an adventure as a Failure or give the full scoring to another   ... i mean/see (feel) that the ratings is always very cautious and can not go up for 5 stars easily (how many reviews got the full score? 4.5) and on the other hand how many got down to 1 star.

i see the scoring always verifies between 2.5 and 4, its like either AG don’t want/afraid to Praise or to Sink an Adventure review rating, i see things that need to get the full Mark and others that must get the lowest ever (disasters) ... it is the nature of things , we can not be afraid to give JFK (i.e) a full mark at ruling USA or to humiliate Bush for the actions he did in his times…

there is (imho) no need to be diplomatic here somethings are certain like for example when it comes to arts, you see Bach and Mozart can not ever have a hassle about them. same to Grim Fanadango ,Myst ,Longest Journey (taking even half a star of those Gems is like taking one Oscar of Lord of the Rings (of the 11) because someone thinks it too much over rated and should not deserve more and that is it ENOUGH)

anyways,

i hope i made my point or at least it can be understood. Sarcastic

thanks

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

5 stars is a rating that should be reserved for the very best of games, so it is only natural that only very few games get the 5 stars, otherwise it would be meaningless rating.

On the other hand, a game has to be pretty bad to get less then 2 stars, but there are some that get very low rating. I just checked and e.g. Dark Secrets only got half an star.

By the very nature of the rating system, most games are going to be in the range of 2 to 4, there are fortunately only few outright terrible games, and even fewer that deserves the absolute top rating. I dont think this is because AG is beeing diplomatic, just the nature of things.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 20 July 2012 10:19 PM

just the nature of things.

you are right Iznogood , i can never say i have anything against AG instead of that i have big Love for the site for the pleasure that brings upon me ,and its policy that based on respect (thanks to Jack), but i just (sometimes) like to bring up things that i spontaneously think of or maybe someone else’s would, i like to feel free/home here at AG and bring everything that would lurks in my mind ,and i know how much the People here in the site are really big Hearted and deal with members with all the appreciation as long as we are keeping our side of consideration to their great efforts.

in simple words, Forums sometimes has to be a bigger place than just discussing a certain Adventure Game whether is it good or bad!, Forums should play its major part at keeping the scene alive as it always had, and i am just doing my little share ,bringing whatever wanders in my head.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

At the end of the day reviews will always be subjective. One man’s trash may be another man’s treasure. Scores are important to an extent, but as long as you read the review you should be able to ascertain whether a game is suitable for you or not. Whatever one thinks about the score front, AG are usually pretty good on the descriptive angle.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The only good thing about scores is basically them providing a reviewer consensus through Metacritic, so you can see how well the game has been received overall.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 20 July 2012 11:15 PM

in simple words Forums sometimes has to be a bigger place than just discussing a certain Adventure Game whether is it good or bad!, it should play its major part in keeping the scene alive as it always had, and i am just doing my little share by bringing whats wonders in my head.

Fell free to continue to post whatever pops into your mind, i too love some good free discusions.

Jatsie - 20 July 2012 11:52 PM

Whatever one thinks about the score front, AG are usually pretty good on the descriptive angle.

I couldn’t agree more.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top