• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiekanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gold Rush! Classic

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

I have been working with Sunlight Games to bring the original Gold Rush! to modern PCs. This work is now done and the game will be released shortly. It will be available as a digital download from Sunlight’s store and Steam. There will also be a boxed copy that will be shipped worldwide.

Sunlight Games: Gold Rush! Classic release soon for PC
Cologne, July 03, 2014 – The independent game developer Sunlight Games will re-release Gold Rush! Classic for PC. The re-release will be online at 25. July. There will be also a box-version in the Sunlight webshop at 29. August. Fans will get not only the old Adventure, but also the original map, the original manual and unpublished original concept drawings of the developer from the 80s.

The remake version of Gold Rush! will be released in the fourth quarter of 2014. In addition, a release for other platforms such as Mac and mobile devices is planned.

Detailed information about the game under http://www.goldrush-game.com

Image Attachments

GR.jpg

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Fantastic!

But unfortunately the remake doesn’t look good at all Frown

It’s like the scenes were taken out from one of the Sims games.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t get it. There’s this urge to make over all the classics as if they aren’t good enough anymore and on the other hand there’s the pixelated, blocky, voiceless retro trend in new games. Personally I want it the other way round: Leave the classics alone and stop producing new adventures that look and feel like they were made decades ago.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I can’t say I am a huge fan of those new pre-rendered backgrounds, the art assets do seem to be a bit of lowpoly, almost like they’ve been made to be used in realtime engine rather than done strictly for pre-rendering in mind.

I do appreaciate the original release though, at least this way there’s a choice.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Not particularly interested in remakes, but I’m very keen on classics being re-released and optimized for modern systems, hopefully this one shows up on GOG as well.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 17 July 2014 05:16 PM

Leave the classics alone and stop producing new adventures that look and feel like they were made decades ago.

^
What Karlok said

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Gonchi - 17 July 2014 07:14 PM

Not particularly interested in remakes, but I’m very keen on classics being re-released and optimized for modern systems, hopefully this one shows up on GOG as well.

It will be available on their website. It is DRM free, if that is what you were thinking about.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I checked the video of the “Classic” version of the game.
Did the original “Gold Rush” from 1988 really only have PC speaker sound?
I thought games were using sound cards by 1988.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

They should release a bundle for $15 or so and a bundle only.
Otherwise I can’t see many people buying the remake, which ironically looks dated already.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What price range can we expect for these?

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

I like the throwback look, honestly, im speaking in general. I want games that look great and feel new so to speak, but I absolutely love seeing games releasing with a throwback look. As a gamer that’s been gaming 30+ years now, im very fond of the old days.

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

crabapple - 17 July 2014 08:38 PM

I checked the video of the “Classic” version of the game.
Did the original “Gold Rush” from 1988 really only have PC speaker sound?
I thought games were using sound cards by 1988.

Gold Rush was one of the last of the AGI games, Sierra’s engine before they introduced SCI with King’s Quest 4 (1988), which was the first Sierra and one of the first PC games to support a sound card. There was some overlap of AGI and SCI games. On the PC the sound indeed came through the PC speaker. However, AGI was originally developed for the PCjr, which had three voice music with noise channel for sound effects. The Tandy enjoyed the same sound capability.

This new release of Gold Rush! is set to use Tandy sound with its three voice music with noise channel. Also worth mentioning is that this is version 3 of the game and has no manual check copy protection.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Thanks for the information about AGI. Very interesting.

Collector - 18 July 2014 01:22 AM

This new release of Gold Rush! is set to use Tandy sound with its three voice music with noise channel. Also worth mentioning is that this is version 3 of the game and has no manual check copy protection.

Will it be possible to switch between the original and the updated graphics with the “Remake” version (the way you could with Monkey Island Special Edition)? That would be an interesting comparison.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Collector - 17 July 2014 08:29 PM
Gonchi - 17 July 2014 07:14 PM

It will be available on their website. It is DRM free, if that is what you were thinking about.

Well, yes and no. I’m happy to hear that a DRM-Free option is available, but even so I would like to see a GOG release.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

crabapple - 18 July 2014 01:25 PM

Will it be possible to switch between the original and the updated graphics with the “Remake” version (the way you could with Monkey Island Special Edition)? That would be an interesting comparison.

I think this would be a neat feature in every remake. Though there’s cases where it would be impractical because of changed content, but it would be nice none the less.

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Gonchi - 18 July 2014 01:56 PM

Well, yes and no. I’m happy to hear that a DRM-Free option is available, but even so I would like to see a GOG release.

Why? There would be no advantage to a GOG release other than to add a box on your GOG account page. BTW, I am the one that did some of the Sierra GOG releases. They use my resources for most of the Sierra games that I did not do.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top