• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Replay Games dumps developer Adventure Mob

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’ll be reserving my judgement on whether to continue support to Replay Games once the game actually comes out. Some people are just jerks, but it doesn’t mean they can’t do good things.

Paul isn’t making the game.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If the game receives favorable reviews I’ll still be checking it out no matter how much of an asshole Paul Trowe admittedly is, as I’ve enjoyed some of the past Larry games and like Josh’s direct and informative approach to the whole thing, so I think his project deserves some support.

However, I can’t imagine Paul at this point being anything but an anchor for the firm as a whole, creating a horrible image for Replay Games. He’s as bad as that guy that got in a fight with the guys from Penny Arcade over gaming peripherals for disabled people (if I remember correctly) and was subsequently shunned from the industry.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I don’t get it. If Replay Games is basically this Paul Trowe fellow, and he contracts out to other companies, and he got the rights for LSL (or the rights for a remake of a remake), and has taken Josh and Al on board… if Josh and Al were keen on doing a LSL game, why couldn’t they have gotten the rights to LSL and cut out this in between guy/company who seems to be really only great for making the whole project look a little silly?

On the other hand, maybe Replay Games/Paul Trowe isn’t really all that bad as it is being made out, since Al & Josh have been quite happy to stake their names and reputations to this?

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Toefur - 19 July 2012 04:49 AM

if Josh and Al were keen on doing a LSL game, why couldn’t they have gotten the rights to LSL and cut out this in between guy/company who seems to be really only great for making the whole project look a little silly?

Because Al & Josh are contracted out for parts of the game like the story, design etc. Paul’s job is to be project manager and make sure everything goes on time, things are delivered, followups are done, everyone is coordinated etc etc. It’s a 24hr job.

On the other hand, maybe Replay Games/Paul Trowe isn’t really all that bad as it is being made out, since Al & Josh have been quite happy to stake their names and reputations to this?

It’s the perception that matters. Maybe Paul is a great guy when you meet him in person. It doesnt matter, because the whole world is seeing this side of him, and its not in a good way.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

This is horrible and disgusting. At conventions and conferences, there was no one more visible, vocal and enthusiastic about the project than Oded Sharon of Adventure Mob. He and the Adventure Mob guys worked their TAILS off trying to get this game hooked up with a publisher, and when they hopped onto Kickstarter they worked doubly-hard to get the word out. I honestly have no words. I feel so bad for Oded and everyone involved. I have lost all respect for Paul Trowe and Replay.

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Paul’s twitter messages:

@Hutty211 I agree,Chris.But try telling that to 14k+ backers who all want to dictate to us how to do our jobs. Like we haven’t done this b4!

@D_Nye_Griffiths I couldn’t agree more. Investors seriously over step their bounds sometimes!!

@Irishmile Josh and I got pretty depressed after reading some of the jackass comments people left on the Kickstarter page after we updated

LOL. This feels like a novelty account. The guy is all over the place. Ultimately he doesn’t seem to respect the backers, and even if a few of them speak out you don’t belittle 14k people.

Why is Al working with him? Is it because Paul secured the LSL rights? But he would have needed Al’s cooperation to do so. I know Paul was at Sierra, but I don’t know the extent of their relationship. I’m not saying Al should ditch the guy. I just doubt it’s the first time Paul has behaved like this.

When it was announced that Wasteland 2 would use EA Origin as one of multiple distribution methods, the backers responded negatively. Instead of calling them jackasses or alluding to them as mere backers who shouldn’t dictate what the developers do, Brian Fargo reassured people that W2 wouldn’t be an Origin exclusive and the backers would still get DRM-free copies. He offered thanks for their passion and reaffirmed that their input matters, as that has been a big theme of crowdfunding - interaction with backers. The backers aren’t meant to have shareholder powers, but good developers keep in mind that without the backers their projects may not be funded.

That’s how you communicate with your fanbase and supporters, keeping in mind what the backers mean to you. Not resorting to angry outbursts when you feel threatened by backers asking questions or making fake aliases on other websites to express yourself. These things demonstrate unreliability. It makes Paul Trowe appear to have the emotional intelligence of a young child. The backers seem to be losing trust not because of the developer switch itself, but because of the poor communication and leadership from Paul Trowe, as well as his disregard for the backers that made the project possible in the first place.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hey, if your job is to enhance the brand name and promote positivity with the fans, then you better do only that. Arguing, starting controversies, pitting fans against eachother, is the opposite of what that position is supposed to be about.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

This Paul Trowe character really needs to shut up. It’s normal for fans to freak out over every little thing during the development of a game they care about — even more so in those Kickstarter projects. In normal situations, that’s when one of the project’s respected figureheads comes along, explains things reasonably, and people are happy again (even if they may partly disagree with the decision). But every time Paul Trowe opens his mouth, he makes things worse.

The saddest part is that I think Josh Mandel has been doing a good job of explaining things in an articulate, reassuring way. You may think it’s sad or unfair that Adventure Mob wasn’t given another chance, but I think his post in this thread did a good job of explaining the situation and making you feel that the project was in good hands. But unfortunately all of this was completely overshadowed by Trowe’s latest antics. I’m sure he plays some useful role somehow in the project, but PR isn’t it and he needs to completely shut up — and to lay off the coke or whatever substance is making him behave so erratically.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Trowe comments on twitter that he doesn’t like the coverage on IGN, though i can’t find that article on ign, is there anybody who is a better sleuth ?

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-07-29

PM

Oh god, here’s another KS account (ZirconJimLaffer83) that sounds remarkably like all of the others:  http://pastebin.com/k6neMMfS

You’d think he’d have enough sense to not post insider information under his fake accounts.  But you’d also think he’d have enough sense not to berate his backers and call them “jackass"es. 

I guess this is the “guerilla marketing” Josh said Paul is so good at.  What a sad spectacle…

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Paul Trowe on Twitter:
“I would rather stay positive than to stoop to the level of some freelance writer for IGN that has 1% knowledge of what we’re doing at Replay.”

He also deleted another tweet in which he said something against Travis Fahs, claiming that he is not a journalist and his articles are full of hearsay and dubious claims. Travis Fahs has written several articles for IGN mostly about retro gaming and is active in several forums under the user name Frogacuda. He is also a backer of LSL and has expressed his dislike for Paul’s behaviour in several places. Too bad for Paul that a few of us managed to read the tweet before it was deleted.

It’s funny that now Paul Trowe thinks it’s a good idea to single out backers and insult them. The guy can’t keep a lid on. It’s one stupid thing after another. And remember guys we probably have at least 9 more months of development until LSL is released. It’s just gonna get stupider and stupider. Grab some popcorn if you haven’t already.

I’m really sorry for Al Lowe, since I have a special fondness for him, LSL being the first adventure game I have ever played more than 20 years ago, but Paul is a disaster and in all probability this is the last LSL game that will ever be released.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

supaplex - 20 July 2012 09:39 AM

Travis Fahs has written several articles for IGN mostly about retro gaming and is active in several forums under the user name Frogacuda. He is also a backer of LSL and has expressed his dislike for Paul’s behaviour in several places. Too bad for Paul that a few of us managed to read the tweet before it was deleted.

Is that the same Frogacuda who is active at AG? The same guy who told someone they should leave the discussion because their English wasn’t up to it? I hope not. Such incredibly low and childish behavior is only marginally better than this Paul character’s shit.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-07-29

PM

supaplex, I just wanted to say you’re awesome!  I really appreciate you staying on top of what Paul Trowe is up to.

I wonder if Al and Josh are even aware of what is going on?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

bbk5 - 20 July 2012 10:17 AM

I wonder if Al and Josh are even aware of what is going on?

They cannot NOT know.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Paul Trowe on Twitter:
“I would rather stay positive than to stoop to the level of some freelance writer for IGN that has 1% knowledge of what we’re doing at Replay.”

Well, that’s still 1% more knowledge than Paul Trowe himself has on any given subject.

And remember guys we probably have at least 9 more months of development until LSL is released. It’s just gonna get stupider and stupider. Grab some popcorn if you haven’t already.

The gestation period of Paul Trowe, with exciting new revelations at each trimester!

Seriously, when this game is done Codemasters need to end the licence agreement and give the IP to someone else. As much as I want to see more LSL games, and support Josh & Al, I cannot in good conscience ever give another penny to Replay Games while Paul Trowe is a part of it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top