• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Whats you’re favorite hidden gem adventure game?

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Just curious, I’ll pop one in soon. But am hoping to also find a few that catch my eye that I haven’t played before. So let’s hear it, what game is one you’d consider a not so popular gem of a game but not the most popular?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

This is tricky, if only because Adventure Games in general are kind of a limited pool.  So if you’re even a little interested in the genre you’re going to be aware of most of the more interesting obscure titles.

I’m going to say… Discworld Noir

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Yea I’m speaking within the genre and aside from what I’d call popular, like my favs Kings Quest, Space Quest, Kyrandia, quest for glory etc…

I’m speaking of ones that are just not always ones that so easily come up in conversation.

As for me personally, yea it’ll be harder to find ones I don’t know but there are a few I haven’t gotten too so hopefully I can catch a few here.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think Eternam can use more popularity. It’s a hilarious adventure by Infogrames in a style similar to Shadow of the Comet. Only it’s all about humour, not horror. It’s like Monkey Island meets Space Quest meets Monty Python meets French slapstick toons. Mocks history, politics, movies, adventure games - everything it comes across. Some find it too obscure, but I like it.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

I don’t think there’s any super-obscure ones I’ve played that this forum wouldn’t know about, but compared to regular gamers:

* Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon (and most of the Legend games)

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentlemen, Please are five-star games that are rarely mentioned outside of “expert” circles. The first one is free, too.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Of the Legend games, I find Gateway has the greatest quality-to-discussion ratio (by that I mean it’s great, and never talked about). Callahan is quite well known now, which is helping the popularity of their older games like Death Gate.

I would mention Anchorhead, definitely worthy of classification as a hidden gem. I’m not sure where Realms of the Haunting stands as ‘hidden’ or ‘unhidden’ but a gem? Definitely.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Zork Nemesis never gets the respect it deserves, just because its a non-comedy Zork game.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Oscar - 12 July 2014 03:56 AM

Callahan is quite well known now, which is helping the popularity of their older games like Death Gate.

Death Gate is brilliant, it should be taught as an example of how to design puzzles well.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The previously mentioned Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon and Zork: Nemesis are great, as is the freeware Flight of the Amazon Queen.
I also heartily recommend the DS games Time Hollow and Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past. Both are amazing visual novel-y games that often get overlooked between the Layton, Phoenix Wright and Cing DS games…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Did anyone say Maupiti Island?

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Agustín Cordes - 12 July 2014 09:05 AM

Did anyone say Maupiti Island?

This is the thread you’re looking for. Wink

Hidden gem… hmmm. Well, how about Touché?

It echoes Monkey Island type of games, yes, but it stands on its own, as well. It’s reasonably long and funny, too.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I wouldn’t say Zork Nemesis is obscure but it’s great game

Some random good and possibly obscure games:

Dune - adventure/strategy hybrid

Shadow of Memories - Time travel mystery. multiple endings.

Divi Dead - Horror visual novel

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Antrax - 12 July 2014 05:04 AM

Death Gate is brilliant, it should be taught as an example of how to design puzzles well.

Yes, what I find interesting about Death Gate is that for the most part (there are some exceptions) the puzzles aren’t exactly difficult, but they require such inventive solutions that they made me feel hugely clever when I figured them out. Ron Gilbert would probably complain about the amount of backwards puzzles in Death Gate, but I can’t say that they ever bothered me.
One teeny tiny minus: I think there’s a kind of sliding tile puzzle in the lava cave world? Thankfully it can be skipped, but I wish it wasn’t there in the first place. It never is fun.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I also like Touche. Nice backgrounds, some of them are reused (but I’ve read they were made by a single person! ), the lines (your servent/sidekick’s especially) are very funny and clever. I’ve played it and it’s lots-o-fun.
And it has one of those rare endings , where the sidekick actually gets the girl, not the main character. Well, after giving Henry the job of carring a body in his inventory all over the place he deserves the girl Laughing

I am baaaaaaaack!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top