• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 07 July 2014

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished playing through the alternative endings of Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel (2011) to try & make some sense of the incoherent plot!

Policeman Peter Glebsky arrives at the hotel for a vacation but strange events & a murder draw him into an investigation. Story-wise it’s based on a 1970’s sci-fi novel ‘Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel’ by Russian authors Arkady & Boris Strugatsky but unfortunately I couldn’t make head nor tail of it & found myself wandering around aimlessly a lot of the time! 

Graphically the game is gorgeous-looking with many detailed locations to explore, although little in them to interact with, & has an interesting cast of wonderfully portrayed characters despite sub-par voice-acting.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

This game is based on a novel by the Strugatsky brothers.
They were prominent in SF (almost) as the Bryans are prominent in tennis.
I wish I’ve read a book by them.
The Stugatsky bros, not the Bryans.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t know about the availability of the original book zobraks but an English translation ‘Inspector Glebsky’s Puzzle’ was published in 1988 which unfortunately now seems to be out of print. I would have been interested in reading it to see whether it would have helped to follow the game better! 

NB I was still adding to my blurb before I saw your post!

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-07-07

PM

chrissie - 07 July 2014 07:02 AM

I’ve just finished playing through the alternative endings of Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel (2011) to try & make some sense of the incoherent plot!

Funny you mention this game as I started to play it a few years ago but got stuck and forgot about it. The voice acting is truly terrible and I remember feeling like I just didn’t understand what I was doing or why half the time.

It’s not often I give up halfway through an adventure so I might just give this one another crack.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karparus - 07 July 2014 09:08 AM

......I remember feeling like I just didn’t understand what I was doing or why half the time.

I can relate to that! & after about an hour into the game getting nowhere resorted to continuing it following a walkthrough! On getting some explanation at the end I’m tempted to replay it at some point but I’m not sure that the story will gel any better but the game may be more interesting to play? I can’t disagree about the voice-acting, I didn’t mind it myself but it possibly fits the ‘plot’!   

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Graphically the game is gorgeous-looking with many detailed locations to explore

Nice you mention this - I’ve never played it, but I’ve been quite confused for years while looking at the preview shots, then the in-game scenes, various reviews, Russian and English ones… and the thing is that the graphics quality varied significantly among these that I wasn’t sure who to trust (not to mention that sometimes it looked like a 1st person game, and sometimes like a 3rd person, sometimes like 2d pre-rendered and sometimes like full 3D). For example, there’s this beautiful scene, or a bedroom, while others looked quite pixelated & dated. Gasp

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 07 July 2014 03:57 PM

Graphically the game is gorgeous-looking with many detailed locations to explore

Nice you mention this - I’ve never played it, but I’ve been quite confused for years while looking at the preview shots, then the in-game scenes, various reviews, Russian and English ones… and the thing is that the graphics quality varied significantly among these that I wasn’t sure who to trust (not to mention that sometimes it looked like a 1st person game, and sometimes like a 3rd person, sometimes like 2d pre-rendered and sometimes like full 3D). For example, there’s this beautiful scene, or a bedroom, while others looked quite pixelated & dated. Gasp

I don’t think I spotted any inconsistency in the graphics diego but maybe I was too engrossed in fathoming out the story! Here’s one of the hotel owner Alec & Peter the protagonist - I couldn’t really find any differences in quality between the various locations but maybe between close-ups of characters is a possibility that I didn’t notice as they looked okay to me! 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top