• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last Express - GOG or Steam version?

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

So, The Last Express in on sale still today on both Steam and GOG, and the prices are relatively similar. However, Steam has the “Gold” version, which I’ve come to understand is a version that was slightly altered to fit the iOS etc., and with some added stuff, while GOG has the original version.

Now, does have an opinion on which is a preferrable version? I’ve seen statements both ways, rarely any solid arguments. And can anyone actually say what content is different in the versions?

Thanks.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t like the Android/ipad version of The Last Express on Steam with its silly achievements, biographies, intrusive tutorial, pop-ups and what not. I hate it when a message pops up that I’ve unlocked Robert Cath’s biography. That kills my immersion. I think you can turn most of those off though, not sure. One real difference is that the map of Europe at the end is missing (at least that’s what I’ve been told cause I gave up after 15 minutes or so). I’m shocked cause that map is essential for the experience. I didn’t like the very noticable icons in the four corners of the screen. Hints? We don’t need no stinking hints! I also had a problem with the music and sounds dropping off when I picked up something.

I don’t think my arguments are solid enough for you. But the missing map is enough reason for me, yes really!, to recommend the original version, not the casualised one on Steam.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Or you could just use the simple principle of “when in doubt, pick GOG over Steam”. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-05-08

PM

I got stuck through some glitch in the gog version. That may not be typical. Usually gog is better but I’m wishing I got the steam version if it had hints and stuff.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2014 05:18 AM

One real difference is that the map of Europe at the end is missing (at least that’s what I’ve been told cause I gave up after 15 minutes or so). I’m shocked cause that map is essential for the experience.

Wow, that shocks me too! I don’t have Steam’s Gold Edition (I have the retail version which should be like the GOG version aside from compatibility), so I did a quick Google search, and yeah, it sounds like the map of Europe is missing from the Steam version.

Karlok - 30 June 2014 05:18 AM

But the missing map is enough reason for me, yes really!, to recommend the original version, not the casualised one on Steam.

I agree with Karlok—if it’s true that the map is missing from the end credits on Steam, that alone seems an argument in favor of the GOG version. I suppose you could always go to YouTube to see the original end credits, but . . . seriously? The so-called Gold Edition on Steam leaves out one of the most memorable and thought-provoking end credits in the history of adventure gaming?!

I can’t find what the new credits for the Steam version look like, but why didn’t they just append the additional credits for the people who worked on the Gold Edition in a second credits sequence after the original?

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Gold version (i played on android) shows icons that eliminates pixel hunting and nice
additional content but missing credits ? it depends,if you going to go to istanbul
or will you hop off the train at vienna.

Caliburn - 30 June 2014 10:45 AM

I suppose you could always go to YouTube to see the original end credits, but . . . seriously? The so-called Gold Edition on Steam leaves out one of the most memorable and thought-provoking end credits in the history of adventure gaming?!

Which thought XX.century’s europe redrawed borders in the history of adventure gaming provokes?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

What an amazing game “The Last Express” is. I would definitely go with gog.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gabe - 30 June 2014 01:08 PM

Gold version (i played on android) shows icons that eliminates pixel hunting

I don’t remember any pixelhunting in the original PC version, but that’s probably different for a screen the size of a stamp.

and nice additional content but missing credits ? it depends,if you going to go to istanbul or will you hop off the train at vienna.

Not sure what you are saying. There shouldn’t be any credits at Vienna, just the usual diary entry that comes with a premature ending. So did you see the original credits at the end of the Gold version on your Android?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 30 June 2014 06:49 AM

Or you could just use the simple principle of “when in doubt, pick GOG over Steam”. Grin

And GOG is DRM-free.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2014 07:20 PM

Not sure what you are saying. There shouldn’t be any credits at Vienna, just the usual diary entry that comes with a premature ending. So did you see the original credits at the end of the Gold version on your Android?

Show hotspots and tutorials are optional settings.
I’m at Amstetten right now.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Amstetten is *before* Vienna. You must have played the game before or you wouldn’t know about getting off at Vienna. So you’ve already seen the map credits.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Gold version (i played on android) shows icons that eliminates pixel hunting and nice
additional content but missing credits ? it depends,if you going to go to istanbul
or will you hop off the train at vienna.

My understanding is that the Steam, iOS, and Android versions of The Last Express are all very similar to each other. They were created by a company called DotEmu that licenses and ports older games. Since the Steam version and the iOS version apparently do not include the original end credits sequence (source 1, source 2, source 3), I’d be very surprised if the Android version does, regardless of where the player gets off the train.

Can you confirm if the end credits sequence of the Android version looks like this video of the original end credits? (Spoilers for anyone who hasn’t played the game, of course.)

The GOG version, on the other hand, is the original 1997 game with some compatibility fixes and therefore it includes the original end credits. According to the GOG website, DotEmu isn’t involved in this version, but only Smoking Car Productions (the developer) and Phoenix Licensing (the publisher for purposes of the GOG release).

Caliburn - 30 June 2014 10:45 AM

I suppose you could always go to YouTube to see the original end credits, but . . . seriously? The so-called Gold Edition on Steam leaves out one of the most memorable and thought-provoking end credits in the history of adventure gaming?!

Which thought XX.century’s europe redrawed borders in the history of adventure gaming provokes?

I’ll try my best to answer your question, but sorry, I must admit I’m having trouble understanding what you’re trying to write in English. If I don’t give the answer you wanted, feel free to ask again.

What I was saying:
Out of all the games in the history of adventure gaming, The Last Express has one of the most memorable and thought-provoking end credits sequences, in my opinion. So I am sad that those original end credits aren’t included in the Steam/iOS/Android versions.

Why I consider the end credits to be thought-provoking:
(spoiler warning)
At the end of The Last Express, World War I begins. During the end credits, you see how the map of Europe has changed from year to year, starting in 1914 and ending in 1994 (which was basically the “present day” when The Last Express was released in 1997).

[spoiler]The Last Express isn’t about World War I, per se, but the political state of the world is an important backdrop for the game, kind of like World War II is for the movie Casablanca. The passengers on the Orient Express are from a variety of countries with their own agendas, the game takes place in the last few days before the war, and in some ways the Firebird becomes a symbol of the war itself when its shadow is cast over the map of Europe.[/spoiler] (see this spoiler-y picture)

I think the changing map of Europe during the end credits sequence gives the player a sense of what a pivotal event World War I was for that region, and it shows the impact it had on those countries. Note for example how drastically the territories are redrawn at the end of the war (the change from 1918 to 1919). While the borders start to settle a bit after World War II (hence the bigger leaps between the years shown), the end credits seem designed to make the player feel that even up to what was then the present day, the region was still changing more than the player might think.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Thanks Caliburn,

I had never seen that credit before (I didn’t finish the original game because of a hard disk crash and I played the dotemu when it came out)

I agree that the original end credits are really worth seeing and it’s a real shame that dotemu didn’t keep them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top