• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 30 June 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Chronicles of the Sword (1996) is an adaption of the King Arthur legend released for PC & Playstation. Fully voiced, in 3rd person perspective you control Sir Gawain to help defeat the evil Morgana.

Although it was praised at the time for it’s ‘nice puzzles & lovely graphics’ I thought it was one of the worst games I’d ever played & actually finished! I found the story to be a badly constructed mish-mash but did wonder whether it was intended to be more humourous than the ‘serious & ordinary adventure’ it was described as? I was amused by Morgana’s alcoholic guard, Merlin’s portrayal as a ‘thug’ with a dodgy Welsh accent & Queen Guinevere, already in an affair with Sir Lancelot, being more than friendly to Gawain. As for the fairy that Gawain meets in the game I just found the character silly & not funny at all! Has anyone else played this?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It’s nice to hear someone who has actually played an obscure game like this.
Well done, Chrissie.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 30 June 2014 04:50 AM

Has anyone else played this?

No, but I’ve always wanted to give it a whirl. Grin

I remember a local review, commenting on the muscles of the main knight:

“In the end, there’s only the big historic dilemma if knights at King Arthur’s castle ate, not only roasted meat with wine, but also steroids, since Gawain’s muscles makes even Schwarzenegger shy.” Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 30 June 2014 05:03 AM

“In the end, there’s only the big historic dilemma if knights at King Arthur’s castle ate, not only roasted meat with wine, but also steroids, since Gawain’s muscles makes even Schwarzenegger shy.” Grin

Even these ones?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is that Morgana?!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have not played it. But I checked youtube just now and lo and behold! there’s a playthough. The guy who made it says at the beginning: “I’m fairly confident it’s the worst game ever made. I play a lot of terrible games and I go out of my way to find them, and this is by far the worst.” LOL!

Maybe we should do a Special Week of the most terrible games ever made, Chrissie.  Laughing  And invite this guy over.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2014 07:56 AM

Maybe we should do a Special Week of the most terrible games ever made, Chrissie.  Laughing

So, we’ll probably have Midnight Nowhere on the menu.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

chrissie - 30 June 2014 04:50 AM

Has anyone else played this?

I played the PC version not that long ago, and thought it was pretty bad. But I was surprised that a game released in 1996 used CD audio tracks for the speech. I thought that method had been abandoned years earlier.

Also, they had the clever (?) idea of doubling the amount of speech by storing one set of voices in the left audio channel, and another in the right audio channel. So if you try to listen to it in a CD player, you’ll hear two voices talking over each other which, judging by the troubleshooting section in the manual, didn’t work on some combinations of CD-ROM players and drivers.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

zobraks - 30 June 2014 08:51 AM

Maybe we should do a Special Week of the most terrible games ever made, Chrissie.  Laughing

Is that a request?  Laughing

eriktorbjorn - 30 June 2014 09:28 AM

I played the PC version not that long ago, and thought it was pretty bad. But I was surprised that a game released in 1996 used CD audio tracks for the speech. I thought that method had been abandoned years earlier.

Thanks eriktorbjorn for the info! & hey! you’ve played it! I didn’t even realise until quite recently that the game had been released for PC as well as Playstation which is the version I played & still have.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 30 June 2014 05:36 PM
zobraks - 30 June 2014 08:51 AM

Is that a request?  Laughing

God forbid.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top