• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Lady KestrelTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 17 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Does anyone remember Castle Adventure? It was a nice short freeware game from the 80s in which you had to solve puzzles and deal with monsters to escape the titular castle, collecting 13 treasures along the way. As you can see, it used ASCII art for its graphics (the weird symbol that looks like the clubs card suit is your character).

I first played it 15 or 20 years ago, but was unable to complete it because of a bug with the savegames which made the game behave erratically (monsters appearing where they shouldn’t, puzzles getting wonky) whenever you restored a save. Yesterday, I downloaded the game again to get a screenshot and tried to beat it this time, but I hit the same bug again. However, after hours of strenuous research *cough… wikipedia… cough* I found out that someone made a remake, which doesn’t have the bug (it has a few minor bugs of its own, but nothing game breaking) and adds a point & click interface and some colours.

And so yesterday, after over 15 years, I was able to finish Castle Adventure — and with full points!

(click for original resolution)

Does anyone remember this game? Has it ever happened to suddenly remember about an old game you’d almost forgotten and to get back to it many years after first playing it?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thanks God for Sierra Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Isn’t that called Golden Wombat.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

According to Wikipedia, “It was also illegally included in Keypunch’s Swords and Sorcery under the title Golden Wombat.”

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

*shifty*

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Look a three headed monkey.

*runs*

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Haven’t played this but I used to absolutely adore the old ASCII games like ZZT and Kroz. Amazing what you can do with just a set of symbols.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top