• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GuyCarty48Jdawg445skeeter_93zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 07 June 2014

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

BEGINNINGS

Another tribute to Kurufinwe, who wrote so passionately about the games he loves and hates. The well-known funeral procession in the beautiful opening scenes of Syberia

Too short to be a proper introduction but does the game really need one? The story starts out simple enough and the phone conversations give us all the necessary background info.  It’s the atmosphere of the opening scenes that counts. Kate’s arrival in the surreal world of mechanical puppets sets the mood of melancholy and sadness. I’m not a real fan of Syberia, but that atmosphere and the marvelous graphics kept me playing.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 07 June 2014 03:27 AM

Too short to be a proper introduction but does the game really need one?

Absolutely, like all stories. And phone conversations really spoiled storytelling, any screenwriter will tell you that.

That said, I don’t remember much of Syberia, even though I played it at the time. The art was good.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I disagree with Doom. It was one of the most beautiful intros I ever saw. And it completely got you into the game. The automatons, the funeral music, the rain. IMO It was a very simple story (not necessarily aa bad thing) and didn’t needed much background info…

As for the phone conversations, the game was not only about Kate travelling into the unknown lands in a train. It was also about travelling ahead in her own life and heart by realizing truths and making important decisions of her life. Also, without them, the game would feel something like Kate entering into a dreamworld. The phone conversations were an anchor that kept telling us that a world like this could exist within ours. The lack of the phone conversations was deeply frustrating in the second game, were the cellphone was decorative only. Finally, I felt that the conversations between Kate and her mother held a slightly humorous feel which is always welcome.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m not really criticising Syberia - as I said, I don’t have much memories about the game. I was generally speaking about intros and storytelling. IMHO it is important to introduce people to the game, to give some background info about the main character, the game world. But it should be also done properly. Throwing a character’s profile in your face is wrong. And mobile phones became this kind of weapon for lazy writers. Of course, the way you described it - phone as a link between real and fairy worlds - is a different thing. That’s like letters from other countries that give some background info, but don’t influence the main storyline much. Although I still recall I was a bit frustrated because Kate spent too much time talking on the phone, retelling her adventures and even dumping her boyfriend I think))

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m sure the “Syberia hype” (wait for Zobraks to explain it to you) would have been 30% less if the game had started along the lines - You’re Kate Walker, a lawyer, and you have just arrived in a French village to buy a toy factory, what you see here are some freakin’ automatons made by Hans, an old geezer we need to locate.

Wait, did I just spoil it? Shifty Eyed

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

diego - 07 June 2014 06:33 AM

You’re Kate Walker, a lawyer, and you have just arrived in a French village to buy a toy factory, what you see here are some freakin’ automatons made by Hans, an old geezer we need to locate.

That’s bad storytelling alright. But there are many ways to introduce the character and the world - from obvious scene-by-scene background story or flashbacks to some mild hints, like personal belongings, photos, a creepy guy staring from his window at the young girl. The intro to Syberia actually does a pretty good job at introducing the world that mixes robots and traditions.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 07 June 2014 04:31 AM
Karlok - 07 June 2014 03:27 AM

Too short to be a proper introduction but does the game really need one?

Absolutely, like all stories. And phone conversations really spoiled storytelling, any screenwriter will tell you that.

Countless excellent films, books, games drop you in a story without any introduction at all. In Syberia you don’t need to know anything important, it’s just one of Kate’s cases and the story takes it from there.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Another great game. Karlok and Chrissie are just bringing back old classics. All of them are in my top 10 must-play-must-have adventure games.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

UruBoo - 07 June 2014 07:54 AM

Karlok and Chrissie are just bringing back old classics.

For now. Next week will be different.
Thumbs Up or Thumbs Up, that’s for you to decide.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Another great game. Karlok and Chrissie are just bringing back old classics. All of them are in my top 10 must-play-must-have adventure games.

Including Silverload? Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 07 June 2014 06:33 AM

the “Syberia hype” (wait for Zobraks to explain it to you)

He already did so.
Use Google translator and have (additional) fun.

P.S. Syberia is a game everyone has played, but if you post a screenshot from it no one recognises it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

TimovieMan - 07 June 2014 08:09 AM

Including Silverload? Wink

Well, you know… “all of them” is just an expression.  Innocent . Allright, “most of them” then, ok?

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Karlok - 07 June 2014 07:53 AM

Countless excellent films, books, games drop you in a story without any introduction at all. In Syberia you don’t need to know anything important, it’s just one of Kate’s cases and the story takes it from there.

Oh, I don’t know. There’s a golden standard for writing and screenwriting with roots in Aristotle’s Poetics, and that includes a setup. There are always exceptions, of course, but I wouldn’t say they are countless. But with games setup doesn’t mean intro alone.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 07 June 2014 10:10 AM

But with games setup doesn’t mean intro alone.

There you have it. I’m talking opening scenes. You’re talking something else.

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Syberia… Aristotle’s Poetics

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Anyways, I watched the intro on Youtube and it’s quite fulfilling. A nice-looking young girl has just arrived from a big European/American city to a small exotic town for the first time, without a slightest idea of what to expect there. Although her intentions are still unclear, as nobody bothered to meet her, she is all alone and has to make all the way to the hotel on foot under the rain. Without playing the game, I would’ve said she is either a wandering adventure seeker or a serial killer Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top